Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 01-15-2014, 08:37 PM   #1
EcBaPr
Human being with feelings

Default OSC - Marker / Region names

really great to see this feature being added..

Im not sure if its something im doing though but i still have to create a button on tablet to initiate DEVICE_MARKER_COUNT.. If i put a value in default.reaperosc file and save, reopen reaper it doesnt seem to update the marker names on the tablet ? I made a button on tablet with this command to get it to start..

/device/marker/count/8

It might be just something at my end but happens consistently..

Also would anyone know if its possible to create a single label in touchOSC which can dynamically update with each marker/region name as the timeline plays and passes each consecutive marker/region ? A way of showing the latest/last marker name or current region name in one field ?

Last edited by EcBaPr; 01-15-2014 at 10:55 PM.
EcBaPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:56 PM   #2
Troy

I am not having the issue you are. I'll share my settings and maybe that will help.

Code:
DEVICE_MARKER_COUNT 5
DEVICE_REGION_COUNT 5

GOTO_MARKER  i/marker t/4/marker/1/@
GOTO_REGION  i/region t/5/region/1/@

MARKER_NAME s/marker/name@ 
REGION_NAME s/region/name@

DEVICE_MARKER_BANK_SELECT 
DEVICE_PREV_MARKER_BANK t/marker/bank/-
DEVICE_NEXT_MARKER_BANK t/marker/bank/+

DEVICE_REGION_BANK_SELECT 
DEVICE_PREV_REGION_BANK t/region/bank/-
DEVICE_NEXT_REGION_BANK t/region/bank/+
In TouchOSC I have the following:
1 Multi-Push (1x5) that is sending /4/marker
5 labels set to /marker/name1, /marker/name2, /marker/name3, etc
1 Multi-Push (1x5) that is sending /5/region
5 labels set to /region/name1, /region/name2, /region/name3, etc
2 buttons sending /marker/bank/- & /marker/bank/+
2 buttons sending /region/bank/- & /region/bank/+

The names report just fine and update accordingly with the BANK SELECT.

I'm having 2 issues though, as mentioned in the previous thread. The last marker/region name in the bank is not being reported, and the marker/region selection isn't following the bank changes, even though the names update.
Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:08 PM   #3
EcBaPr

Thanks Troy.. I think it might be something at my end as to why it doesnt update automatically.. if worst comes to worst i'll just keep my "jolt" button to send DEVICE_MARKER_COUNT.. I noticed the last marker name of bank as you mentioned is not being reported for me either..

Schwa.. Is there any way of making an action which reports the last marker name or current region name so it can be updated through one field on the tablet ?

EG.

MARKER_NAME_LAST
REGION_NAME_CURRENT

It would be cool to have one large display which dynamically updates the current marker/region names during playback..

Last edited by EcBaPr; 01-16-2014 at 03:50 AM.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:38 AM   #4
EcBaPr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy View Post
and the marker/region selection isn't following the bank changes, even though the names update.
Im catching up to where you are, now thats the same problem for me...

Ive got 16 buttons on a tablet that jump to markers 1-16.. I load a reaper project and all the buttons propagate the names of the 16 markers and that works until i reach the DEVICE_MARKER_COUNT limit at 16.. Adding a bank 2 button refreshes the names for next bank but the buttons still refer to first bank markers 1-16..

Last edited by EcBaPr; 01-16-2014 at 03:49 AM.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:48 AM   #5
schwa
Administrator

Thanks for all the testing. The next build should fix the issues listed so far.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:13 AM   #6
Troy

Great, thanks.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:19 PM   #7
EcBaPr

Thanks... I noticed this in new update..

"OSC: avoid bad things happening when track/fx/marker bank size is zero and the surface tries to switch banks"

It makes sense now, at that point i hadnt changed DEVICE_MARKER_COUNT so it was trying to change banks with no size defined..

Last edited by EcBaPr; 01-16-2014 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:26 PM   #8
Troy

Another thing I just noticed:

If you have a bank of, say, 4 markers or regions with labels that update on your device, but have a quantity of markers/regions that is not divisible by 4, then the leftover spaces don't get updated on your device.

Eg:

I have regions in my project named: A, B, C, D, E, F, & G.

I have a 4 region bank on my device which upon starting shows A B C D.
If I switch to the next bank I get E F G D (that's a fairly dissonant chord too).
That's pretty irrelevant when dealing with sequential letters or numbers, but when they are titled within the project's structure it may get a little confusing.

It's not a huge deal, and maybe it just has to be that way, but I thought I'd bring it into the light.

Last edited by Troy; 01-16-2014 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:43 PM   #9
EcBaPr

I noticed something else which might be a bug..

If i have 2 markers both with the same ID (example ID 12) and i name the first one on timeline "Marker 12" and second one "Marker 12-2".. On the tablet using /marker/12/name it shows the second marker "Marker 12-2" but the button jumps to the first one "Marker 12"..

It seems like GOTO_MARKER is prioritising the first ID 12 and MARKER_NAME is prioritising the second ID 12.. Im not sure why anyone would want marker IDs using the same number in the first place ? but i guess its inconsistent..

Last edited by EcBaPr; 01-17-2014 at 12:14 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:39 AM   #10
schwa
Administrator

Brings up a good point... probably the goto and surface feedback should all just be based on the marker/region order on the timeline, rather than the user-editable marker/region index.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:28 PM   #11
EcBaPr

GOTO_MARKER is moving with banks nicely in 4.60 pre 3.. These features are starting to feel really functional now

The only other thing i was wondering Schwa... Is there any chance of being able to report the last marker name and current region name to the surface ? It would be great to have one display on the tablet similar to /time that can update and show those names during playback.. That way if you arent near the computer you could look at tablet and easily see where the cursor is from one label that keeps updating.. Currently there is only /time to give any idea of cursor position but that can be difficult to decipher when its just a number..
Old 01-19-2014, 05:00 AM   #12
EcBaPr

LAST_MARKER_NAME
LAST_REGION_NAME

AWESOME!!!!!!!

seems to be working well so far.. The only thing that seems odd to me is the marker ID's.. If you have two or more markers with same ID the new method pushes the numbering out of step with the surface.. For instance..

Two markers with ID #12.. means /marker/13/name shows second marker #12 and /marker/14/name shows ID #13..

That seems weird because suddenly 14 on the surface means 13 on the timeline, it feels like it could get confusing like that.. Wouldnt it be better to have /marker/12/name show the first #12, then /marker/13/name shows marker #13 and if there is any extra ID#12 just ignore them ??

The main reason i mentioned it previously was just because /marker/12/name would display second ID#12 and /marker/12 skipped to first ID#12, so if they were part of the same button they werent corresponding.. As long as they are referencing the same thing thats the main thing and it would seem better for that to be the first ID..

Im not sure the right answer is easy but throwing the numbering out of sync feels really odd to me..
Old 01-19-2014, 08:17 AM   #13
schwa
Administrator

The marker order on the control surface matches the timeline order rather than the user-defined index numbering because the user could really do anything they want with the index numbers. You could have 10 markers with the same index, or start numbering at 100, or whatever.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:41 AM   #14
Xane002

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
The marker order on the control surface matches the timeline order rather than the user-defined index numbering because the user could really do anything they want with the index numbers. You could have 10 markers with the same index, or start numbering at 100, or whatever.
Thank you for adding this. It works great.

Of course, I will need to reindex my markers in chronological order when 4.6 is released...
I've been using SWS' "go to marker" function which is limited to 99 so all my song start markers have been within that range, and all other markers above 99.

This makes it much more straight forward.

However, since I have several hundred markers I need to potentially address randomly, do you see a problem having DEVICE_MARKER_COUNT set to high numbers like 200, 300, etc.?

I know the idea behind this feature was for control surfaces to display a certain number of labels per bank, but my bank is the whole project considering how I use Reaper for my live show - multiple songs per project.

Thank you so much!
Xane002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:58 PM   #15
EcBaPr

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
I guess when it doesnt apply to someone its not as easy to understand the mindset.. Personally im not sure why anyone would want multiple markers with the same ID ? If they had lots of duplicates wouldnt they have to sit there manually counting them ? In order to jump to marker 24 they need to count through maybe 30 markers and realise i need /marker/32 ?? or work out # duplicates and subtract... Not that hard to do i know but when workflow speed is considered important it seems like that would be fairly slow..

If you ignored the numbering duplicates for GOTO and NAME navigation couldnt you still give access to them with REWIND and FORWARD ? Otherwise (this would probably be too much effort).. maybe have one buttons GOTO and NAME toggle between all the duplicate IDs each time the same button is pressed ?

Irrespective of that, what has been added with markers/region in these recent updates is great stuff and really helpful..

Last edited by EcBaPr; 01-19-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:28 PM   #16
nolman

this is great stuff,
anyone care to share the syntax for
LAST_MARKER_NAME
LAST_REGION_NAME

to get it to work with touchosc?

i downloaded the prerelease, but can't find any references to this in the default reaper osc.

i suppose it is something like LAST_MARKER_NAME s/last/marker/name and /last/marker/name in touchosc but that doesn't seem to work.

thanks!
nolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:06 PM   #17
EcBaPr

you should have LAST_MARKER_NAME and LAST_REGION_NAME added to the default.reaperosc file if you cant see them you might want to double check you have 4.60 pre 4 installed..

The commands for touchOSC are..

/lastmarker/name
/lastregion/name
Old 01-20-2014, 04:15 PM   #18
nolman

mmm...
weird,
I had pre5 installed and touchreaper did have the reference, but i seem to not be able to get the default updated.
installing pre4 now.

edit:
- i tried deleting the default and reinstalling but got no new default.
-had to extract the installer and manually copy the new default file.
-got it all working now
any idea what could have went wrong?

This is great for realtime visual cues sent to idevices for each musician !
i use the regions for general parts : "you are now in verse 1"
and the markers for countdowns on changes : "3" "2" "1" ...
waiting for NEXT_REGION_NAME and NEXT_MARKER_NAME now :-)

Last edited by nolman; 01-20-2014 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:42 PM   #19
Xane002

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolman View Post
This is great for realtime visual cues sent to idevices for each musician !
i use the regions for general parts : "you are now in verse 1"
and the markers for countdowns on changes : "3" "2" "1" ...
waiting for NEXT_REGION_NAME and NEXT_MARKER_NAME now :-)
Hey! That's a pretty clever idea!

I'm using the markers as song start positions - and these changes will certainly future proof my method, but is also more straight forward than using the SWS marker functions.

I'm going to use the region name to deliver the song title (one region per song) to the iphones. For arrangement positioning, we use audible cues through the in-ears, but your method is pretty clever!
Xane002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:18 PM   #20
Troy

Can we get

CURRENT_REGION_NAME
CURRENT_MARKER_NAME

to feedback where we are in the project by chance?

And can I get someone to wash my truck?
Change my strings for me?
A new red bike?
Old 01-22-2014, 03:22 PM   #21
nolman

if i am not mistaken:
LAST_MARKER_NAME
LAST_REGION_NAME
==
current region and marker name

= de last region or marker that was "seen" by the playcursor.
the other options would be "previous" and "next"

The delay i am getting between passing a marker or region is 1 second now, which is a pitty, anyone getting lower delaytimes and care to give the setup?
my setup: reaper pre 5 + wireless lan + samsung galaxy s3 with touch osc.
i only have the last region and marker comments in my default osc file and in the touchosc file.

thanks

Last edited by nolman; 01-22-2014 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:38 PM   #22
Troy

Quote:
if i am not mistaken:
LAST_MARKER_NAME
LAST_REGION_NAME
==
current region and marker name
LAST_MARKER_NAME
LAST_REGION_NAME

Report the last item in the Region/Marker list. This corrected an earlier issue with the leftover spaces in a bank not showing correctly when your marker/region count didn't match up with your devices bank slots.

Of course, there could be something in that that I'm not aware of.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:43 PM   #23
Troy

Quote:
The delay i am getting between passing a marker or region is 1 second now, which is a pitty, anyone getting lower delaytimes and care to give the setup?
my setup: reaper pre 5 + wireless lan + samsung galaxy s3 with touch osc.
i only have the last region and marker comments in my default osc file and in the touchosc file.
I am getting instant changes when switching to different markers if that is what you mean. I was freaking out a bit with region switching response until I realized that the GOTO_REGION command is currently queuing up the selected region and doesn't make the move until it passes out of the current region. I'm not sure how I like that yet, but I can see the use.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:08 PM   #24
nolman

@troy : I am only using these two as visual feedback on my phone, so i'm not quite sure what you mean.

The delay i'm getting is when reaper passes a marker, the change on the phone happens only 1 second later.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:24 PM   #25
Troy

@nolman

You are completely right. I thought those parameters were added to address a previous issue we were having, but that issue must have been addressed internally.

So we don't need CURRENT-REGION, but I'd still like someone to wash my truck or change my strings.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:52 AM   #26
nolman

anyone any idea why osc messages sent from the device have instant response in reaper, but reaper sending the string for last_region and last_marker names to the device has a delay?

touchosc delay = around 1sec but not always
osccommander delay = around 600 ms but not always

I'm using the markers for realtime visual countdowns, but the inconsistent delay makes it inaccurate and unpredictable.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:53 AM   #27
EcBaPr

could it just be inherent latency with wireless ? I think time critical stuff can struggle over wifi.. I have even heard that sometimes if the user presses two buttons on the tablet that the second press can even arrive before the first sometimes..
Old 01-28-2014, 08:37 AM   #28
nolman

it could be inherent network latency, but then i wonder why button presses on the device in my case have always instant effect in reaper, only the latest region and marker report to the device have that much latency.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:23 PM   #29
Heb

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolman View Post
@troy : I am only using these two as visual feedback on my phone, so i'm not quite sure what you mean.
Would you mind sharing how you have this set up?
I've made a label for the markername and have not yet figured out how to get it to display the last marker
I'm a complete noob when it comes to these things..
Heb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:55 PM   #30
nolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heb View Post
Would you mind sharing how you have this set up?
I've made a label for the markername and have not yet figured out how to get it to display the last marker
I'm a complete noob when it comes to these things..
1. make sure this is in your your.reaperOSC file
LAST_MARKER_NAME s/lastmarker/name
LAST_REGION_NAME s/lastregion/name

2. create a label (i'm using osccommander now) with:

let me know if you got it working or not.

Last edited by nolman; 02-11-2014 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:38 PM   #31
Heb

I'm using touchosc and I have it set up like the attached picture.
https://app.box.com/s/bskz8muec1qlsx5tlczw

I have this in my .reaperOSCfile:
LAST_MARKER_NAME s/1/lastmarker/name s/2/lastmarker/name s/3/lastmarker/name

But it doesn't work?
Any ideas?

Thank you

Last edited by Heb; 02-12-2014 at 12:13 AM.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:34 AM   #32
EcBaPr

that looks correct to me.... do you definately have communication between tablet and reaper ? if you do the only thing i can think of is to try removing the text "Marker name" from your label.. im not sure if touchOSC overwrites the title once it recieves OSC or if it just keeps the static label.. worth a go..
Old 02-12-2014, 02:01 AM   #33
Heb

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcBaPr View Post
that looks correct to me.... do you definately have communication between tablet and reaper ? if you do the only thing i can think of is to try removing the text "Marker name" from your label.. im not sure if touchOSC overwrites the title once it recieves OSC or if it just keeps the static label.. worth a go..
Thanks!
Everything else is working so I do have communication
I will try deleting the text when I get home from work and report back
Old 02-12-2014, 03:35 AM   #34
EcBaPr

i just tested it and it works here with the label name included so its not that.. your setup looks right to me, the only ways it varies from what i have is that i only have one OSC command in the config file written as..

the other thing is i dont have "auto" checked in touchOSC to add the OSC command.. i dont think that matters though ?.. Aside from that the only other thing i could say is make sure you have the communication both ways. I know you say its communicating but its possible to only have communication from tablet to Reaper but not vice versa.. If your time counter is working though that means communication is working both ways so the marker names should follow..
Old 02-12-2014, 05:09 AM   #35
Heb

Thank you for testing, I'm still at work but I will try to duplicate your setup when I get home to see if I can sort this out.
The counter is working so the connection is working both ways.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:46 AM   #36
Heb

Quote:
i just tested it and it works here with the label name included so its not that.. your setup looks right to me, the only ways it varies from what i have is that i only have one OSC command in the config file written as..

the other thing is i dont have "auto" checked in touchOSC to add the OSC command.. i dont think that matters though ?.. Aside from that the only other thing i could say is make sure you have the communication both ways. I know you say its communicating but its possible to only have communication from tablet to Reaper but not vice versa.. If your time counter is working though that means communication is working both ways so the marker names should follow..
Tried your setup now and it works!
Thanks to all for your help
Old 02-16-2014, 08:54 AM   #37
EcBaPr

Does anyone know if there is a way i can skip to the next marker with just one OSC command ? It looks like the only way is to set /bymarker first and then do /forward ?? Its no biggie but id prefer just one button on the layout to get this functioning than include "bymarker" also..

Last edited by EcBaPr; 02-16-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:22 AM   #38
patogen

Quote:
Does anyone know if there is a way i can skip to the next marker with just one OSC command ? It looks like the only way is to set /bymarker first and then do /forward ?? Its no biggie but id prefer just one button on the layout to get this functioning than include "bymarker" also..
You can use action: Go to next marker
/action/40173
patogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 03:23 PM   #39
flipotto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heb View Post
Tried your setup now and it works!
Thanks to all for your help
Can't get this working on my end.

I have communication and have tried using these commands.
I can add a action button just fine.
flipotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:57 AM   #40
heitorwyatt

Default Help with Markes

I have a file with one track, I separated the markings and would like to know the command I use in TOUCHOSC so that I would have squeezed a button to set the mark.
heitorwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote