Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 08-19-2014, 01:10 PM   #41
gembez
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Zeronaut View Post
Implement this and make reaper 100 times better

https://www.zplane.de/index.php?page=description-ataak

zplane AtAAK! Audio-to-Audio Alignment Kit

Would be like having Vocalign/Revoice directly in your daw.
Oh man... don't do this to me. You got me dreaming about AtAAK + ARA. That would significantly
improve the work flow. And apparently ARA doesn't require VST3, so I'm guessing it's just around the corner.

The price increase wouldn't bother me one bit. My $60 has lasted over 3 years so far!

http://www.celemony.com/userforum/vi...php?f=8&t=8428
gembez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:29 PM   #42
musicbynumbers

I haven't found clicks in pitch shift here with an item based shift but I when using an item envelope and going from 0 pitch to anything else. At the point that the pitch changes there was (haven't check for a while) a click as the processing of the pitch is activated.

I've also found that certain parameters in buffer options can make a big difference to how reaper performs on pitch shifting and I think that anticipative has to be on for sure. I've had "the crunchies" and clicks if the track is selected before or active in any way but messing about with buffering settings sorted that I think. It might be worth looking at that

I'll keep my eye out for them though but I've only got one click I can always recreate which is an activation click on the first part of a pitch shift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky5p View Post
FWIW, I also tried v3 PRO with different "Pitch shifter parameter" such as "Preserve Formants (most pitches), "Mid/Side", etc, on solo material (vocals). And as with Elastique v2.28, as soon as you use any option beside "Normal" (default parameter) you'll get some very obvious artifacts (clicks/pops). These artifacts started when the option "Click reduction (for some shifters, uses more CPU)" was removed in Reatune after Reaper v4.15. For this reason, I don't recommend to anyone using a "Pitch shifter parameter" other than the default ("normal") with the PRO algorithm. The SOLOIST algo doesn't have this issue.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:32 PM   #43
musicbynumbers

That audio to audio alignment would do wonders for preparing morphs faster

We can do it ourselves but takes time.

I'd happily pay for this and ARA as some kind of extension if the devs could work that out (and it fitted into their business model)
Old 08-19-2014, 02:47 PM   #44
chucky5p

I'd definitely pay some extra $ for an ARA plugin in Reaper. However I'm afraid that as Elastique improves, ARA's chance of coming to Reaper diminishes proportionally Of course, I hope I'm totally wrong on this theory. Devs, any words on ARA implementation?

Chuck
chucky5p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:10 PM   #45
EvilDragon

ARA has nothing to do with Elastique - it's a completely different thing.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:53 PM   #46
Spip

+1000 !! to include zplane AtAAK! Audio-to-Audio Alignment Kit in Reaper.
Spip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:24 PM   #47
Anton9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Do you have SSE2?
Looks like thats it, my XP machine is just a test system anyway so no biggie. Thanks.
Anton9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:44 AM   #48
miche

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMM View Post
+ Elastique: added elastique3
I have just done a quick test on drums, and I am a bit puzzled. So far, elastique3 sounds worse than elastique2.28, but this needs more testing. Here are my observations, anyone car relate?

I used elastique PRO in normal mode for V2 and V3.

1) If I stretch a snare track in an extreme way to a rate of 0.5 (only for testing):
-> elastique3 preserves the highs a bit better and the transients seem more defined, but some scratches seem to appear, as if exaggerated rasping transients were generated.
-> elastique2 is slightly less clear (nothing you would really notice in a mix though), but overall smoother, more natural.

2) when time editing a snare roll :
-> elastique3 sounds REALLY bad and not natural at all, as if it was pumping.
-> elastique2 sounds decent enough, although you can hear the edit.

3) when time editing a fast kick track (cutting, slipping, stretching the item):
-> elastique3 adds some nasty clicks
-> elastique2 is ok
miche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:21 AM   #49
musicbynumbers

I only tested some drum loops myself but found that v2 smeared drum transients a lot and softened them too. V3 (on the stuff I tried) kept the transient the same (as if it hadn't been stretched). It did seem a little bit exaggerated on the first few milliseconds though that might make it sit out of a mix more. That was at extreme settings though. Not tried real world yet. I think both will be valid to use but v3 definitely is better on transients for me so far (even with the "pop" that it can add.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
I have just done a quick test on drums, and I am a bit puzzled. So far, elastique3 sounds worse than elastique2.28, but this needs more testing. Here are my observations, anyone car relate?

I used elastique PRO in normal mode for V2 and V3.

1) If I stretch a snare track in an extreme way to a rate of 0.5 (only for testing):
-> elastique3 preserves the highs a bit better and the transients seem more defined, but some scratches seem to appear, as if exaggerated rasping transients were generated.
-> elastique2 is slightly less clear (nothing you would really notice in a mix though), but overall smoother, more natural.

2) when time editing a snare roll :
-> elastique3 sounds REALLY bad and not natural at all, as if it was pumping.
-> elastique2 sounds decent enough, although you can hear the edit.

3) when time editing a fast kick track (cutting, slipping, stretching the item):
-> elastique3 adds some nasty clicks
-> elastique2 is ok
Old 08-20-2014, 03:52 AM   #50
musicbynumbers

Default big bug :) item's can no longer be pitched past 24 semitones

Found a pretty inhibiting bug

Either pitching an item via an envelope or by it's item pitch amount can no longer go past 24 semitones.

As soon as you go up or down in pitch past 24 semitones, it stops changing the sound. It gets stuck there even though the envelope or item pitch adjust says more than 24.

It is the same with any of the elastique pros. Either 2 or 3 and normal, preserve formant or sync.

I think it started in the last pre.

Anyone else confirm? It's quite important for sound design and my old sounds might have been affected too.

going to check other pres now and find out when it happened.

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 08-20-2014 at 04:11 AM.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:21 AM   #51
EvilDragon

Can confirm that.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:24 AM   #52
musicbynumbers

That's weird. I went all the way back to 4.62rc3 and tried all the major releases in between that and it's still stuck at audibly not going past 24 semitones even when it shows it has.

This only happens for the elastique pro ones so I'm I don't think it's a stuck preference setting or something.

Any ideas?
Old 08-20-2014, 04:26 AM   #53
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Can confirm that.
phew. Glad it's not just me then.

It's either been like it for ages or the new elastique pro 3 DLLs and API stuff is separate to the reaper install so it doesn't matter which I reaper install I go back to.

I'm sure I would have noticed this earlier if not because I do a lot of crazy pitch shifting in my daily work
Old 08-20-2014, 04:44 AM   #54
EvilDragon

Seems like that might have been here for ages. In any way, I would vote for lifting that limitation. Or at least increasing it. And then displaying properly when the limit has been reached!
Old 08-20-2014, 05:11 AM   #55
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Seems like that might have been here for ages. In any way, I would vote for lifting that limitation. Or at least increasing it. And then displaying properly when the limit has been reached!
I know in the past it's been past 24 semitones unless I really did dream it I pitch stuff in various reaper ways everyday and this is a first for me.

I've had pitch bend envelopes on items for a pseudo "tape stop" right down to 48 semitones so it use to work

EDIT: actually, now I think about it.. I vaguely recall it being limited on purpose for elastique bends? say it ain't so

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 08-20-2014 at 06:00 AM.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:04 AM   #56
musicbynumbers

ah ha!!!

I just tried going down 36 semitones in Xenakios Pitch bend extension and got the same results. No change past 24 semitones either way.

I know Xenakios pitch bend might use reaper stuff in the background but if not then it seems it's something that has been introduced by Elastique pro update..

Hmm...
Old 08-20-2014, 07:41 AM   #57
vanhaze

Does anyone knows if Elastique v3 is better at precizer detecting transients than v2 or is it just an opposed improvement soundquality wise ?
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:51 AM   #58
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
Does anyone knows if Elastique v3 is better at precizer detecting transients than v2 or is it just an opposed improvement soundquality wise ?
I don't think it changes the detection (as in the reaper detect transients window) bit it's definitely better here at leaving transients intact/undamaged. You might find it exaggerates them though as others have found here.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:58 PM   #59
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
EDIT: actually, now I think about it.. I vaguely recall it being limited on purpose for elastique bends? say it ain't so
Afaik, the limit is there because of Elastique engine itself. SoundTouch will go 48 semitones in Reaper.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:13 PM   #60
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
Afaik, the limit is there because of Elastique engine itself. SoundTouch will go 48 semitones in Reaper.
You might be right or.... you could be part of the conspiracy!

I could have sworn I've gone below 24 before, it wasn't "alllllll a dream"
Old 08-20-2014, 02:20 PM   #61
PitchSlap

I've recently been pitching stuff to -36 with elastique pro 2.28 so I'm nearly positive it was working before...
Old 08-21-2014, 12:30 AM   #62
clerks

Default WASAPI Exclusive mode stop Working here

Hi,

Wasapi was working nice on my laptop since 4.7 pre10. And now since the last windows update (last 15/08/2014) on win 8.1 pro 64, reaper 64, the wasapi polled mode (exclusive or not)stop working on my laptop : even i reverted to 4.7 pre10 version the polled mode stop woking. The shared mode still OK...

Somebody else can confirm ?
clerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:19 AM   #63
musicbynumbers

Just have to say.. It's about 3 times a week when I'm in reaper and need to do something NO other DAW can do and I go "can reaper do this super unusual thing for me?" and after some thought I'm like "wow, yes it can!"

I think we forget that stuff and take it for granted but for the power users it's insanely awesome!

Just now I was wondering if the project I worked on 2 weeks ago had any pitch bends more than 24 semitones (so I could check if those items sounded correct or not for the client requested changes) and I was thinking, that's 500 plus items to check, ouch..

but then I remembered the project bay lists all that stuff in the "active take details" so I simply opened project bay up full screen and scrolled down looking for any pitch adjusts greater than 24 semitones.

It took a minute rather than hours!

Call me a nerd but that to me is why I love this program. It expands when you need to expand and it's near enough always able to!

Keep up the good work devs!
Old 08-21-2014, 05:26 AM   #64
musicbynumbers

saying that though. I wish videos that contained audio didn't bring Reaper's zoom and scroll to a grinding halt when at high zoom levels. That never use to happen

have to hide the video track to stop it.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:40 AM   #65
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clerks View Post
Hi,

Wasapi was working nice on my laptop since 4.7 pre10. And now since the last windows update (last 15/08/2014) on win 8.1 pro 64, reaper 64, the wasapi polled mode (exclusive or not)stop working on my laptop : even i reverted to 4.7 pre10 version the polled mode stop woking. The shared mode still OK...

Somebody else can confirm ?
It sounds like something you updated in windows update broke things, not REAPER... so maybe this belongs in a bug report forum (it really has nothing to do with this pre-release).
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote