Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 02-04-2015, 09:55 AM   #41
musicbynumbers
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
I think that when copying an FX (or chain) REAPER should ask if you want to copy envelopes as well. It's more intuitive this way (you can drag and drop the automation button to do it but a prompt when copying the FXs seems more natural to me).
This would be fine as long as it follows "the reaper code" whereby;

1. Must have option in prefs to either always copy, never copy or ask.

2. Is a an additional option in mouse preferences to have it on or off.

The mouse modifiers bit is important as it will allow us to slightly "modify our modifier" by adding shift to change it from copying envelopes to not copying.

Also, I think the default should be "on" right?
Old 02-04-2015, 09:57 AM   #42
J Reverb

How easy would it be to have per take envelopes looping ?
So loop item source and envelopes follow.
Thanks.
J.
J Reverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:16 AM   #43
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Reverb View Post
Thanks.
J.
Probably not that easy but it would be awesome as even before item FX reaperites have been wanting this for the item based volume, pan, mute and pitch so it would be great to have it.

It would definitely need to have both a default option in the prefs and a tick box per item too.

doing this would also make "item automation objects" much easier to use if they do appear at some point.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:23 AM   #44
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Also new, something Airon requested, which is that automation latch is only cleared on stop/seek, but not on playback start:
I had to watch the gif a few times to get it but this is indeed useful.
Thamks.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:32 AM   #45
planetnine

Quote:
Something nice in this version: if audio items have stretch markers, the stretch markers (and any take automation) will be adjusted by QN when editing the time map, or when moving across time map points:

This is very nice -it will make stretch markers even more useful

-Now, can I have a "Notes" field for the Project markers so I can hide my take attachment data, or are you going to make these native..?

>
Old 02-04-2015, 10:43 AM   #46
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
This is very nice -it will make stretch markers even more useful
Indeed

now we need a script that inserts stretch markers in all items right at the existing tempo markers. Then modifying tempo markers would also stretch all project accordingly.

Or better, an integrated solution setting by Cockos, that can be an option in project settings.. like "Inserting Tempo marker inserts stretch markers to items" This way we would always have stretch markers at tempo changes in all items automatically.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:53 AM   #47
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
Indeed

now we need a script that inserts stretch markers in all items right at the existing tempo markers. Then modifying tempo markers would also stretch all project accordingly.

Or better, an integrated solution setting by Cockos, that can be an option in project settings.. like "Inserting Tempo marker inserts stretch markers to items" This way we would always have stretch markers at tempo changes in all items automatically.
I've suggested above that this could be an item/project settings option alongside "beats" and "timebase".

And it should probably be an invisible "behind the scenes" stretch marker that is actually attached to the tempo change but applied to every item that crosses it.

An action would still be good too but this way is how most daws behave anyway.

Gradual changes though will probably still need you to attach stretch markers to transients or the stretch markers could be behind the scenes again for gradual changes and simply attached in equally spaced divisions for the area of gradually change.

something like that anyway!
Old 02-04-2015, 11:10 AM   #48
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
I've suggested above that this could be an item/project settings option alongside "beats" and "timebase".

And it should probably be an invisible "behind the scenes" stretch marker that is actually attached to the tempo change but applied to every item that crosses it.

An action would still be good too but this way is how most daws behave anyway.

Gradual changes though will probably still need you to attach stretch markers to transients or the stretch markers could be behind the scenes again for gradual changes and simply attached in equally spaced divisions for the area of gradually change.

something like that anyway!
oh yes.. sorry I missed your post. We agree.

I'm not sure about the invisible thing.. since stretching audio can degrade quality, it is nice to see the stretch markers.. However, this could add many stretch markers and clutter the arrange view. So an option to Hide/Show stretch markers in project would be great.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:29 AM   #49
benf

Quote:
Something nice in this version: if audio items have stretch markers, the stretch markers (and any take automation) will be adjusted by QN when editing the time map, or when moving across time map points:

Justin,
These little gif files are very useful for no-speaking or bad-speaking english people to understand the sense of all of these improvements. If it could be possible to make some as often as possible. As we say in french : "un petit dessin vaut mieux qu'un grand discours" which means "A little picture is more efficient than a big discourse"
Old 02-04-2015, 11:47 AM   #50
musicbynumbers

Quote:
oh yes.. sorry I missed your post. We agree.

I'm not sure about the invisible thing.. since stretching audio can degrade quality, it is nice to see the stretch markers.. However, this could add many stretch markers and clutter the arrange view. So an option to Hide/Show stretch markers in project would be great.
cool

Maybe have them showing very faintly or something?

Straight tempo changes will by definition make them invisible as the tempo marker will be covering there position anyway!

Just covering strait tempo changes will be great. Gradual transitions is not the end of the world as you can still add stretch markers via the dynamic split window.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:44 PM   #51
evolution

Quote:
This is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda

I'd like to see an integrated solution. Automatic stretch markers wouldn't need to be added to every single tempo marker, they could be added on the fly at both ends of the area where tempo is being adjusted. This would avoid unnecessary clutter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda
I'm not sure about the invisible thing.. since stretching audio can degrade quality, it is nice to see the stretch markers..
Agreed. I want to see what is being stretched and what is not.
evolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:47 PM   #52
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by benf View Post
Justin,
These little gif files are very useful for no-speaking or bad-speaking english people to understand the sense of all of these improvements. If it could be possible to make some as often as possible. As we say in french : "un petit dessin vaut mieux qu'un grand discours" which means "A little picture is more efficient than a big discourse"
Yeah, for the features where it is obvious and fun to do, I'll try to do more

In English we say "A picture is worth a thousand words" too
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:48 PM   #53
Justin
Administrator

Quote:

I'm working on this, but it gets very tricky (ideally it would know that auto-added stretch markers could be removed in certain instances as well). Unsure if this will get in 5.0, but if not you can at least manually add the stretch markers
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:25 PM   #54
PitchSlap

Quote:
By the way, I think it would make sense to "remove all per-take FX automation" by Alt+clicking in the envelope button. This is common behavior for removing per-take and track FXs.
Yes, this would be very useful and congruent with the rest of the program.

Quote:
Thanks.
J.
+1.

Quote:
Yeah, for the features where it is obvious and fun to do, I'll try to do more

In English we say "A picture is worth a thousand words" too
Awesome. I think many of us would appreciate this, regardless of native language.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:20 PM   #55
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
This would be fine as long as it follows "the reaper code" whereby;

1. Must have option in prefs to either always copy, never copy or ask.

2. Is a an additional option in mouse preferences to have it on or off.

The mouse modifiers bit is important as it will allow us to slightly "modify our modifier" by adding shift to change it from copying envelopes to not copying.

Also, I think the default should be "on" right?
Agreed 100%. Both modifiers and options for the prompt would improve this tremendously.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:56 AM   #56
geoffroy

Hello

Sorry to ask, could we have an option ton enable "fader scaling" for item volumes ?

It would be super handy !

All the best

Geoffroy
Old 02-05-2015, 01:16 AM   #57
musicbynumbers

You forgot the "right click everything" mantra

Right click the envelope itself. If I recall right, it's there

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffroy View Post
Hello

Sorry to ask, could we have an option ton enable "fader scaling" for item volumes ?

It would be super handy !

All the best

Geoffroy
Old 02-05-2015, 01:22 AM   #58
geoffroy

Mmm, I don't think so. It's on track volume envelopes, but I don't see it for item volumes.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:17 AM   #59
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffroy View Post
Mmm, I don't think so. It's on track volume envelopes, but I don't see it for item volumes.
Just checked and it's definitely there

-Add the volume envelope to item.
-right click on the line area (and not a "point")
-2nd option from the top is "volume envelope scaling".

At least I have that here anyway
Old 02-05-2015, 03:17 AM   #60
jm duchenne

Yes it is, for item's volume envelope, but not for item's volume, which is confusing.

I don't know if you refer to it, but it would be nice to have the option for it too.
jm duchenne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:50 AM   #61
geoffroy

JM is right
Old 02-05-2015, 04:23 AM   #62
mim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
(you can drag and drop the automation button to do it ).
I didn't notice it, this is nice !
I'd like to have the same possibility with track fx. And I agree asking for copying envelope would be nice too !

Swipping in routing (and pin fx) and envelopes options, would be also very useful.
mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:33 AM   #63
G-Sun

Quote:
This looks just wonderful.
Thanks!

So this means I can now temp-map,
have and audio item, add stretch-markers,
Then change the tempo, and the beatposition for the stretch-markers will stay in place?
(Can't test now)
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:45 AM   #64
G-Sun

Quote:
Quote:
I'm working on this, but it gets very tricky (ideally it would know that auto-added stretch markers could be removed in certain instances as well). Unsure if this will get in 5.0, but if not you can at least manually add the stretch markers
This should typical be a setting per project/track/item
"Audio stretch to tempo"

Btw: This is very relevant for when inserting loops.
Eg. I have a project with tempo-changes, then adding a 4-bar-loop.

Then, where and how many stretch-markers should be used/inserted?
By ms, grid or detected transients?
And should they display as stretch-markers are today, or should they be more hidden?

As a default I'd say 1/16 for 100bpm is needed density to make linear transitions reasonable beat-synced.
One could go denser for more accuracy.
But at these levels it's obvious that you can't display it as ordinary stretch-markers.
For manual I'd probably go 1/8 for 100bpm.
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:53 AM   #65
heda

Quote:
Thank you Justin
Auto added stretch markers could clutter the arrange window if you are using many tempo markers like a smooth curve of many tempo markers. It would be great if we can show/hide the stretch markers. Or the option to Show/Hide those auto added markers only. And, yes Activate/Deactivate the auto adding of them for each item would be good too. For example items with Time timebase. Or locked items.

For now, having the main functionality and being able to manually add the stretch markers is good already
Old 02-05-2015, 05:01 AM   #66
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm duchenne View Post
Yes it is, for item's volume envelope, but not for item's volume, which is confusing.

I don't know if you refer to it, but it would be nice to have the option for it too.
Ah, I know what you mean now Volume knob itself!
Old 02-05-2015, 05:02 AM   #67
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mim View Post
I didn't notice it, this is nice !
I'd like to have the same possibility with track fx. And I agree asking for copying envelope would be nice too !

Swipping in routing (and pin fx) and envelopes options, would be also very useful.
I wish we could also track TCP FX buttons to copy those fx to multiple selected other tracks. We can do it in the MCP kind off but not to multiple tracks. It should be like it is for sends.

Also, dragging the envelope button (as you mention) would be great too!
Old 02-05-2015, 05:06 AM   #68
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Thank you Justin
Auto added stretch markers could clutter the arrange window if you are using many tempo markers like a smooth curve of many tempo markers. It would be great if we can show/hide the stretch markers. Or the option to Show/Hide those auto added markers only. And, yes Activate/Deactivate the auto adding of them for each item would be good too. For example items with Time timebase. Or locked items.

For now, having the main functionality and being able to manually add the stretch markers is good already
Gradual changes would be messy indeed. Just ones automatic "behind the scenes" ones for standard tempo markers would be enough for now I reckon as we can still dynamically create them to transients first if we need too.

mainly though, I think the fact that these "temporary stretch markers" would only ever be exactly in the same place as the tempo markers mean that it wouldn't matter what they looked like as they won't be seen right.

The tricky thing is probably the code that will deal with adding these "pseudo stretch markers" on all audio items that fall across any tempo markers. Especially since these will have to all move/update if you move the tempo marker somewhere else.

I'm sure Justin can do it but like he said, it's not a small task
Old 02-05-2015, 05:46 AM   #69
Sexan

bug with stretch markers:

beginning of item gets chopped if there is no stretch marker there
Sexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 06:40 AM   #70
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexan View Post
bug with stretch markers:
beginning of item gets chopped if there is no stretch marker there
I can't but think that as soon as you add a stretch marker in the file that one should also be created at the start and end?

Unless:

1. The marker you just added is already pretty much at the start or end.

2. there's a preference to do this already?
Old 02-05-2015, 08:01 AM   #71
Sexan

Quote:
I can't but think that as soon as you add a stretch marker in the file that one should also be created at the start and end?

Unless:

1. The marker you just added is already pretty much at the start or end.

2. there's a preference to do this already?
Yeah, I've investigated a little:
When you add stretch marker to a item, it doesn't add them automatically to start and end of item UNLESS you move them:
Sexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:30 PM   #72
Marcostenik

any possibility to have asio direct monitoring in reaper 5????
Marcostenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:49 PM   #73
NextLevel

Default Regarding markers

I think auto add of stretch markers should be optional or maybe just implemented as an action. Separate actions for hiding each type of marker, as well as actions to bypass markers would be a nice addition.

What would be really cool is some sort of marker snapshots, this way a person could try out different sets of markers and switch back and forth between them.
NextLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:00 PM   #74
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexan View Post
Yeah, I've investigated a little:
When you add stretch marker to a item, it doesn't add them automatically to start and end of item UNLESS you move them:

This ^^

When I made my item markers respond to stretch markers I had to watch for this phantom marker.

Looks like it's compensating for item length left of the marker, as if there was a marker there, while maintaining playrate at 100% because there isn't. The marker probably needs adding as default or once the containing item is moved.

>
Old 02-05-2015, 06:12 PM   #75
J Reverb

Default Midi Reset CC on stop/play or Loop bug ?

Please please please

If an envelope is controlling ReaControlMidi it will only update the control change parameter when the envelope value is moving. Otherwise it resets the cc.

There is an old thread here.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=96308

It would be incredible if this is possible to fix for the next build?
Fingers crossed here.

Thank you dev's.
J Reverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:42 AM   #76
Salem Beats

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXix View Post
The JS descriptions thing is nice but it makes the list pretty cluttered. I prefer filenames but the descriptions are helpful. Would it be possible to display the description as a tooltip when the mouse is over a JS plugin? It would be nice to have a mode where the description is displayed after the filename too.

In a perfect world, I'd like to be able to specify my own plugin name display format, using wildcards such as $type, $name, $author, $description, $inputs, $outputs. It would also be nice if I could enter my own description for a plugin and have that displayed too.

Just saying

Also on the subject of plugin organisation, perhaps now could be the time for plugin tagging... http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=4656
You can tag plugins by renaming them - that's what I do.

For example, I have a bunch of EQs in my EQ folder, but when I want to quickly get to my "go-to" EQ, I just type "Goto" while in my EQ folder:

http://www.screencast.com/t/d1tU1bO6h

Simply rename your plugins and append the tags you'd like to apply in parenthesis.
It could stand to be a bit more sophisticated, but this works just great 95% of the time, for my categorization purposes at least.
Salem Beats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:46 AM   #77
EvilDragon

Quote:
Please please please

If an envelope is controlling ReaControlMidi it will only update the control change parameter when the envelope value is moving. Otherwise it resets the cc.

There is an old thread here.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=96308

It would be incredible if this is possible to fix for the next build?
Fingers crossed here.

Thank you dev's.

Yes, I feel this needed to be sorted out ages ago. Devs, for v5, can we please have all the CC resetting issues fixed? If we have the checkbox in Properties not to reset CCs on play/stop, this should also be valid for looping too. And especially valid for hardware MIDI outputs!
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:14 PM   #78
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Yes, I feel this needed to be sorted out ages ago. Devs, for v5, can we please have all the CC resetting issues fixed? If we have the checkbox in Properties not to reset CCs on play/stop, this should also be valid for looping too. And especially valid for hardware MIDI outputs!
would be cool for sure!
Old 02-07-2015, 04:08 AM   #79
Infidel

Wow great progress so far!

Would be highly appreciated if v5 had:

-Relative Paths for Backups and Repeaks
-Track Group Editing
-VCA

is it too much to ask for?
Infidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 04:25 AM   #80
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
Wow great progress so far!

Would be highly appreciated if v5 had:

-Relative Paths for Backups and Repeaks
-Track Group Editing
-VCA

is it too much to ask for?
it has VCAs now but the other two would obviously be nice.

a folder for peaks would be great!