Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 03-04-2016, 02:06 AM   #1
sqby
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper -> Softube Console 1 follow track selection assignment

Greetings,
I am using Reaper for years, love it.
Recently I have built mixing setup containing Qcon Icons.
Now the perfect, final extension for "hands on" mix would be the Softube's Console 1

But there are few flaws with the Reaper compatibility:
1. Auto track name catching -> Console 1 plugin cannot communicate with track it is on to get the track name, so the user has to input the name of track on every instance of plugin across the mix.
2. Auto track arranging - when adding the track in Reaper, and put Console 1 plugin on it, You have to manually arrange and move track numbers in Console 1 app.

and finally most important feature lacking:
3. Follow track selection (one direction).
That is one and only function that stops me from incorporating C1 to my setup.
So the console 1 would switch to the instance of the plugin which is on the track actually selected.
Softube developers point that the problems mentioned are Reaper problems, which they cannot overcome without Reaper Devs.

Now, is there any option to make this happen?

How much would it cost?

So I imagine the perfect sollution would work as follows:
I select the track using Icon (or even mouse), then instance of the C1 plugin residing on this track gets "focus" so I can use the C1 controller without looking on screen.

Is it possible?
Thanks in advance.

best!
Old 03-04-2016, 07:16 AM   #2
Win Conway

Softube, while being good developers are either lying here or just don't give a damn.
If they had contacted the Reaper developers, they would have gotten all the help they needed, third parties always do.
And the follow selected track is not just on Reaper, it is the number gripe people have with Console 1 (Google it) and Softube either have no intention of fixing it after all the complaints, or simply put they cant.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:27 AM   #3
sqby

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post
Softube, while being good developers are either lying here or just don't give a damn.
If they had contacted the Reaper developers, they would have gotten all the help they needed, third parties always do.
And the follow selected track is not just on Reaper, it is the number gripe people have with Console 1 (Google it) and Softube either have no intention of fixing it after all the complaints, or simply put they cant.
You may or not be right, in attachement I placed the response from Softube from today.

But that is not a topic, I am looking to pay person which is somehow capable of implementing at least "follow Reaper track selection" in Console 1 (if it is possible)
Attached Images
File Type: png softube.PNG (16.3 KB, 858 views)
Old 03-04-2016, 07:59 AM   #4
Xenakios

I don't really know anything about Console 1...Does it have an API/SDK? If it doesn't, I don't suppose there's anything that can be done by 3rd parties to fix it.

Reaper's API probably already handles all the things you asked for, though. The Softube developers might want to look at that...
Old 03-07-2016, 05:10 AM   #5
sqby

Xenakios thanks for the response, I have forwarded the link to this topic to the Softube.
Hopefully they will do something about it.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:03 AM   #6
Win Conway

There is no may or may not be right, it is simple fact everything they need can be done in Reaper already, the API/SDK is there if they had bothered to look, and they will get any support they needed from the COCKOS developers.
The person answering on the facebook page is deflecting, i suspect they are not anything to do with the developers at Softtube and just some internet marketing idiot.

Either they will come here and read this, pick up the SDK and implement it or they will just talk nonsense ala that Facebook post.
The second is most likely i am afraid.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:21 AM   #7
Torsten@Softube

Hi guys,

Torsten from Softube here, software developer and co-owner of the company. I’m happy to see there’s interest in having Console 1 working better when using Reaper!

I’m somewhat familiar with the Cockos VST extensions, but I haven’t seen anything in there that would help us implement the requested features. Perhaps I’m looking in the wrong place, in that case, would you guys mind pointing me in the right direction please? If such an API exists it would be pretty easy for us to implement the features. If not, it is my hope that working together with the Cockos developers would give us access to what we need. However, I want to make sure Softube can commit to a time plan before we contact a third party with this request, because it’s going to take some work on our end. Be assured that deeper integration for Reaper (as for all DAWs) is on the list for features for Console 1, but the list is looooong and other projects also demand our time. There are only so many hours in the day unfortunately so this is not the time for this, yet.

I’m not super responsive on forums, so please don’t take a failure to respond as me ignoring this thread Take care!
Torsten
Torsten@Softube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:40 AM   #8
tombuur

I just bought Softube Console 1 and my first impressions are very good.

I have tried it out in Reaper, Cubase and Studio One. However, whereas automatic naming and numbering of tracks in Console 1 is fine, I would also like to request that this be made an option and not the only choice. In fact, I am I quite happy numbering the tracks myself, so that I know that bass guitar is always track 8, kick track 21 etc. That way I can get a compact view of the whole project, and I will always know what is where whithout having to look at the screen.
Reaper 5, latest release, 64-bit w SWS |GA Z270 UD5|Intel i7 K7700|32 GB RAM|Fireface 800|500GB SSD sys, 1TB SSD Rec, 4TB HDD samples|Win 10 64bit|Dynaudio BM6A|Softube Console 1|Sonnox|Waves|Melda|Superior 3|Komplete 12U|Melodyne|Slate|Izotope.
tombuur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:52 PM   #9
Teddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torsten@Softube View Post
Hi guys,

Torsten from Softube here, software developer and co-owner of the company. I’m happy to see there’s interest in having Console 1 working better when using Reaper!

I’m somewhat familiar with the Cockos VST extensions, but I haven’t seen anything in there that would help us implement the requested features. Perhaps I’m looking in the wrong place, in that case, would you guys mind pointing me in the right direction please? If such an API exists it would be pretty easy for us to implement the features. If not, it is my hope that working together with the Cockos developers would give us access to what we need. However, I want to make sure Softube can commit to a time plan before we contact a third party with this request, because it’s going to take some work on our end. Be assured that deeper integration for Reaper (as for all DAWs) is on the list for features for Console 1, but the list is looooong and other projects also demand our time. There are only so many hours in the day unfortunately so this is not the time for this, yet.

I’m not super responsive on forums, so please don’t take a failure to respond as me ignoring this thread Take care!
Torsten
Hi Torsten, I think the control surface sdk would be more suitable than a vst. You can also achieve quite a lot just using Reascript as well, but a control surface extension is probably the way to go if you want to do it properly... If you're having issues, we can probably drum up some examples.

I'm a bit surprised that you haven't received more replies in this thread.

Check out this link: http://www.reaper.fm/sdk/plugin/plugin.php
Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:05 AM   #10
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
Hi Torsten, I think the control surface sdk would be more suitable than a vst.
VST plugins hosted inside Reaper can use the same API as Reaper control surface or other extension plugins. This is slightly tricky if the plugins are based on a more generic framework like Juce or IPlug, but will still be possible to do if the framework code is altered a bit. I have done this for Juce based VST2 and VST3 plugins and can provide the details if needed.

Last edited by Xenakios; 03-30-2016 at 05:10 AM.
Xenakios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:09 AM   #11
Xenakios

Quote:
I’m somewhat familiar with the Cockos VST extensions, but I haven’t seen anything in there that would help us implement the requested features.
Cockos provides 2 extra things that VST plugins can take advantage of :

-VST plugin extensions that deal with things like parameter names and plugin I/O.
-Access to Reaper's own API that has hundreds of functions, as well as the possibility to create C++ subclasses to implement control surfaces, audio file formats and so on.

The second thing is what you would probably need to take a look at.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:35 AM   #12
Teddy

Thanks for correcting me, Xenakios. I was hoping someone with a bit more experience than me would comment.
Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:21 AM   #13
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
Thanks for correcting me, Xenakios. I was hoping someone with a bit more experience than me would comment.
Doing a control surface implementation for Reaper might work too...It's a bit difficult for me to say since I don't have any experience with the Softube thing.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:39 AM   #14
Torsten@Softube

Thanks guys!

I'm hoping to address these features for Reaper once my todo list gets a bit shorter, now I have a better idea of where to look at least!

Cheers,
Torsten
Torsten@Softube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:43 AM   #15
sqby

Great that at last something is happening in the C1 <-> Reaper,
Hope that it will happen sooner than later
Thank you very much for your contributions!
Old 04-11-2016, 06:30 PM   #16
Win Conway

Nothing is happening, what is this current 'deify developers' nonsense and where did it all come from, he said he is hoping to address it, that means nothing, if it gets sorted, THEN say something is happening.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:12 PM   #17
sqby

THEN I will say, something has happened.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:27 AM   #18
jonty

I hope outfits like Softube don't think we use Reaper because we've got no money LOL

I use Reaper because I like/love it - and I dislike Avid with a passion.

If Console 1 ever became fully compatible with Reaper I'd order it immediately and at least give it a shot.

In fact, Softube are currently running a promo - "Until May 31, Console 1 is on offer for only $649 from dealers worldwide!" which they say is about 20% off.

Even at that price, it's not worth the hassle if it ain't compatible.

I hope they stop talking and start doing. No disrespect.
jonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:17 AM   #19
semiquaver

http://www.reaper.fm/sdk/reascript/r...#function_list
semiquaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:45 PM   #20
Win Conway

At that price it isn't worth it full stop, i would say look for one on ebay, but they hardly sell any, so they are rarely on ebay, it is ridiculously overpriced esecially considering it only works with about 3 or 4 plugins, for less money you could buy Maschine and do the same with every plugin that exists, oh and that includes all the Soft Tube plugins that the console 1 does not support hahaha
Old 04-24-2016, 10:12 AM   #21
tombuur

I don't look at Console 1 as a plugin controller, but as an implementation of a console. With soon three different consoles to choose from.

I bought for it four reasons:
1. I want to pretend I am using a famous console while mixing my own most humble music.
2. I am tired of wasting time testing a bunch of plugins for every track. I want to simplify. From now on it will be SSL 4000 E on almost everything mimicking the way mixing is done on a real console with maybe a few outboard effects.
3. The Waves SSL sounds great too, but Console 1 has a transient shaper and adjustable drive/character which further reduces the need for other plugins.
4. My right arm is suffering from RSI from using the mouse too much. The console will reduce the need for mousing.

BTW I found that using the vst3 version of Console 1, I got stutters in Reaper (not in Cubase or Studio One). No problem with vst2. I have similar problems with vst3 versions of Slate stuff. I believe Reaper hasn't fully solved the vst3 implementation yet and I will avoid vst3's until this is fixed.
Reaper 5, latest release, 64-bit w SWS |GA Z270 UD5|Intel i7 K7700|32 GB RAM|Fireface 800|500GB SSD sys, 1TB SSD Rec, 4TB HDD samples|Win 10 64bit|Dynaudio BM6A|Softube Console 1|Sonnox|Waves|Melda|Superior 3|Komplete 12U|Melodyne|Slate|Izotope.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:41 AM   #22
Kurt

I bought one, after reading this thread, in the hope that the communication between the C1 and Reaper gets sorted out soon! Don't make me regret it Torsten!

I had the stutter issue using VST3 too. Another plugin I have drops a channel when I use the VST3 version, so I think you're right about Reaper VST3 support being a bit flaky at this stage. I generally just avoid using VST3, I have no idea what the benefits are supposed to be!

Edit: Just had a look at the Softube web site, no mention of Reaper on the "Console 1 Known Issues/Work In Progress" page, I guess it's a pretty low priority

Last edited by Kurt; 05-24-2016 at 02:51 AM.
Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:09 AM   #23
sqby

I have found sollution for follow track selection problem!

Somebody on gearslutz forum mentioned that when in Pro Tools you disable and enable C1 on particular track - it gets focus on C1.

I tried Fx enable and disable in Reaper - did not work... BUT the FX offline and online - forces the C1 to put focus on track where we just offlined and onlined it on!
So I just made simple cycle action (needs some facelifting if possible): -
1.Toggle Fx 1 on selected track offline
2.Toggle FX 1 on selected track online
(I assume that C1 is first plugin on track - if there is possibility to create action which can make particular fx offline/online on selected track - please help, at current state Console 1 vst plugin has to be on first slot)

Then I created shortcut for this action, so from now on I select track, then press button - and voila! Console 1 gets focus on track that I just have selected!!!
It has small lag, but it WORKS!

Another very handy thing I just made is a simple cycle action that adds C1 on selected tracks - without messing up the track order in C1 (earlier I did it by adding one instance of C1 on track and then copying it and pasting across other tracks - the result was that tracks inside C1 had random order).
Just create easy cycle action:

"CONSOLE xConsole"

Done!
Attached Images
File Type: png Przechwytywanie.PNG (44.7 KB, 625 views)
Old 07-11-2016, 04:31 PM   #24
seb_revenant

Another way to make drag and drop work:
Create a dedicated channel from which you exclusively drag the Console plugin onto the other channels (start by dragging the plugin to the track you wish to get assigned to channel 1). The dedicated channel will always stay the last in line, while the ones you drag the plugin to, will be assigned to the Console Application in ascending order, starting at number one.
seb_revenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 01:37 AM   #25
sqby

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb_revenant View Post
Another way to make drag and drop work:
Create a dedicated channel from which you exclusively drag the Console plugin onto the other channels (start by dragging the plugin to the track you wish to get assigned to channel 1). The dedicated channel will always stay the last in line, while the ones you drag the plugin to, will be assigned to the Console Application in ascending order, starting at number one.
That is a lot of work to do
"CONSOLE xConsole" <- this action does it all in 1 second

But that is an additional benefit,

what I would like to emphasize is the follow track selecion workaround - this is a game changer in my opinion, have done few mixes since I have made this workaround. I have saved soo much time thanks to this technique!
Old 01-27-2017, 10:46 AM   #26
kevrose

Quote:
Thanks guys!

I'm hoping to address these features for Reaper once my todo list gets a bit shorter, now I have a better idea of where to look at least!

Cheers,
Torsten
Hi Torsten

Would really appreciate any info on whether you're going to look at Reaper implementation. Your announcement regarding UAD plugins and the price drop has made me consider Console 1 very seriously! However, I'd appreciate knowing if it's still on your to do list.

Thanks
kevrose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:55 PM   #27
tombuur

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Just get a wacom cintiq instead. Enough hands on feeling. Without any limitations. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qCoMYk1NbE
And what console is this Wacom emulating SSL, Neve or other?

Joking aside. The Wacom looks interesting, but is completely different from Console 1. It doesn't give you a feeling of working with an analog console and doesn't have a sound of its own. In fact, Wacom is a very digital approach to mixing. Which is fine if you prefer that to usual mousing which is what is really emulates.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:05 AM   #28
radekdolezi

Is there any official opinion in the console 1 case? i'm really not sure if the developers visiting this forum or not? i spoke softube's support with question about deeper reaper integration and here is their answer:

Thanks for reaching out!

A deeper integration between Console 1 and Reaper (and all major DAWs) is definitely something we would like to see. This is something that we must work on together with the DAW vendors and we are in contact with many about it.

The more other DAWs that we get this support from, the more leverage we will have when negotiating, so with it in place in Studio One and Sonar, some others will likely follow. Unfortunately I can’t give any time frames.

I will save your mail as a Feature Request, but it might also be a good idea to contact Cockos and let them know that this is something you'd like to see happen.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

------

I tested the SSL 4000E sw only and it sounds great, i believe it is the right way for me, but the sad truth is, the integration isn't as deep as i'd expect. If i had 2 wishes it would be proper integration with Console 1 and ARA integration within Reaper. Could i believe we will see it? :-)
radekdolezi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:53 PM   #29
Win Conway

Wont happen, as predicted they came to the forum to try and shift a few extra units, they had no intention ever supporting Reaper.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:29 AM   #30
sqby

Probably it won't happen in near future, I sold mine, because moved to the analog console. BUT the advice I wrote in:
http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...9&postcount=23

Gives you very fluent workflow with Reaper, without spending hours on naming the tracks inside C1 and reorganizing them.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:20 PM   #31
Justin
Administrator

We're working on adding some VST3 extensions (IContextInfoProvider / IContextInfoHandler2) which should help here (as far as my understanding)... No promises yet, but hopefully will be in a pre soon.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 01:02 AM   #32
radekdolezi

Thank you – i found your post a bit earlier already, but could i have a question yet? Regarding the fact i'm not able to simulate it without the hw unit i'm not sure, how does the workflow look like? The script creating side is quite clear for me, but what next ... for example ... i have the mix session (with all tracks, groups and folders properly named) and i add console 1 plugin on all desired channels (as i understand your post, it must be the 1st plugin slot reserved for console 1 plugin, right?).*Do you need to select desired channel within reaper with mouse (or another controller) and run that xConsole cycle action everytime you want to tweak anything with the Console 1 hw controller? Isn't it a bit extra time consuming? If i'm wrong, could you please describe it a bit closer? Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqby View Post
Probably it won't happen in near future, I sold mine, because moved to the analog console. BUT the advice I wrote in:
http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...9&postcount=23

Gives you very fluent workflow with Reaper, without spending hours on naming the tracks inside C1 and reorganizing them.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:05 AM   #33
radekdolezi

Dear Justin – that's truly great sounding news - thank you ... i'll keep my fingers crossed (all of them) :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
We're working on adding some VST3 extensions (IContextInfoProvider / IContextInfoHandler2) which should help here (as far as my understanding)... No promises yet, but hopefully will be in a pre soon.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:12 AM   #34
radekdolezi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post
Wont happen, as predicted they came to the forum to try and shift a few extra units, they had no intention ever supporting Reaper.
Do you mean the Softube company with the last sentence (they had no intention ever supporting Reaper)? If yes, i think you're wrong ... i believe they want to spread Console 1 much more all around the world and it is possible with closer integration with DAWs only. And they assure me they're also counting on Reaper.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:34 AM   #35
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by radekdolezi View Post
Do you mean the Softube company with the last sentence (they had no intention ever supporting Reaper)? If yes, i think you're wrong ... i believe they want to spread Console 1 much more all around the world and it is possible with closer integration with DAWs only. And they assure me they're also counting on Reaper.
Yes, I would totally agree that Softube is very actively engaged in getting all DAWS to support the open source Presonus VST3 extensions - don't forget the Studio One team is ex Steiny, they are the originators of the VST !
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 04:40 AM   #36
mschnell

In what way is Console 1 preferrable ove other DAW controllers ?

To me it seems not "nice" that it does not feature (Motor-) Faders (like e.g. XTouch).

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 04:52 AM   #37
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post

To me it seems not "nice" that it does not feature (Motor-) Faders (like e.g. XTouch).

-Michael
If you go over to the UAD forum, and perhaps other places, you'll see folks saying the sweet spot is using both together.

So, any 8 Fader pack type like MCU, XTouch, Icon Q ProX, etc. PLUS the Console 1 for individual track control.

It's reminiscent of the MCU/C4 combo.
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 06:42 AM   #38
radekdolezi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post

-Michael
As i see it (but i'm not 100% sure i'm right - hehe) it isn't inside that "hw daw controller" category –*it's just dedicated hw controller for dedicated console 1 plugin – as full channel strip (where you are able to choose from softube and UAD plugins as "whole piece" or "individual modules") ... and the goal of it is imho something like "the return to the roots of mixing" (instead of clicking and tweaking knobs with mouse only). I believe that approach should be quite addictive – faster and much more productive ... and 100% great sounding (in the first line) ... which is something i'm looking for (instead of neverending testing of new plugins etc.) ... and as the guys from softube support said – we know, it isn't for everybody.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:55 AM   #39
sqby

Quote:
Originally Posted by radekdolezi View Post
Thank you – i found your post a bit earlier already, but could i have a question yet? Regarding the fact i'm not able to simulate it without the hw unit i'm not sure, how does the workflow look like? The script creating side is quite clear for me, but what next ... for example ... i have the mix session (with all tracks, groups and folders properly named) and i add console 1 plugin on all desired channels (as i understand your post, it must be the 1st plugin slot reserved for console 1 plugin, right?).*Do you need to select desired channel within reaper with mouse (or another controller) and run that xConsole cycle action everytime you want to tweak anything with the Console 1 hw controller? Isn't it a bit extra time consuming? If i'm wrong, could you please describe it a bit closer? Thank you
Hi! You select tracks and add a C1 on it using cycle action:
"CONSOLE xConsole" - i made a button on a toolbar to do this as well keyboard shortcut, that way - you have C1 across all selected tracks in order.

When using the second cycle action:
1.Toggle Fx 1 on selected track offline
2.Toggle FX 1 on selected track online

You just select track (in DAW - not in C1) - either by mouse or hw controller like ICON, MCP etc. and run the action above. I bound it to keyboard.
So workflow:
select track on icon, press keyboard shortcut for cycle action, voila - track is selected inside C1. That way I never had to write track names inside C1 (and that is really time consuming) - because used DAW channel tracks as navigation.

best
Old 05-18-2017, 01:17 AM   #40
mschnell

BTW.:
A friend of mine owns three old Behringer ddx3216 Digital mixers. He is planing to replace the audio electronic board in there by something based on a RasPi 3 and hence connect the motor-faders and incremental rotaries via OSC (via WiFi) as well to an RX18 as to Reaper.

Maybe this is an interesting product to re-use this legacy - and widely hanging around - hardware.

(He already succeeded to implant the Pi in an FB1010 and control an XR18 via OSC/WiFi for versatile Guitar effect remote controlling.)

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 05-18-2017 at 04:20 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote