Old 04-05-2017, 07:07 PM   #1
mikeroephonics
Human being with feelings

Default Roland Pitch/Mod Lever Spring Removal?

Hi,

I'm trying to find a good 88-key MIDI controller, and one of the problems I have is finding one with both a pitchbend wheel and modwheel wheel. In the case of Roland, most of their keyboards (controllers & synths) use their infamous pitch/mod lever which is spring-loaded for both the pitch axis as well as the modulation axis.

Has anyone ever successfully removed the spring from the modulation axis so that it can be freely positioned? I need this for various patches which use CC#1 modulation for toggling playing techniques and filters. Otherwise, I have to keep one hand on the modulation wheel which means I can't play the keys with both hands.

If anyone has done this successfully, on which Roland keyboard did you perform this?

Thanks!
- Mike
Old 04-06-2017, 05:09 AM   #2
Softsynth

It wouldn't work correctly if it was just flopping about, it isn't engineered like that!
Assign pitch and mod to other controllers like expression pedal and other Midi devices.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:42 PM   #3
mikeroephonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
It wouldn't work correctly if it was just flopping about, it isn't engineered like that!
Assign pitch and mod to other controllers like expression pedal and other Midi devices.
Would it just flop up and down? i definitely wouldn't want it to do that. Staying put is what I'd like, which is the problem I have with the spring-loaded mechanism to begin with.

Somebody claimed to have removed the spring on their Roland A-800 Pro controller but didn't include pics. I know this is just one person on one device so I don't take it seriously enough to bother opening up any Roland pitch/mod lever mechanism.

Roland's new RD2000 stage piano has TWO modwheels along with the pitch/mod lever but it costs $2,500USD and all I need is a controller anyway. I wish they'd reissue the A-90 controller or something similar to it.