Old 12-28-2015, 10:19 AM   #1
Tealeaf
Human being with feelings

Default Novation Launchkey Mini MK2

I bought this as a gift to go with a licence for Reaper but, the giftee seems to be having problems getting the hardware & software to talk to each other. Is there an idiot's guide for how to set up Reaper to recognise the Novation Launchkey Mini MK2?

I understand that it will not 'auto-recognise', but this is a first-time Reaper user who does not fully understand the software (it is after all a little comprehensive/complex!) and we're struggling between us to see what the next step in the process is in order to get the buttons and keyboard recognised in Reaper.

Finally, if the answer is that the Novation Launchkey Mini MK2 does not work with Repear, can anyone point me in the direction of hardware at similar price point that might be a suitable replacement to work with Reaper?

Thanks in advance for any helpful responses!

Tealeaf.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:49 AM   #2
DarkStar

Hello Tealeaf and giftee and welcome to these forums. You'll find many helpful people here and a lot of useful information. Make sure that you get the excellent User Guide too:
http://www.cockos.com/reaper/userguide.php

-- in Reaper's Preferences, enable the LaunchKey and set its mode to Input AND Control
-- on a track, select the LaunchKey as the MIDI Input device (all channels), Arm the track for Recording and check that Input Monitoring is enabled.
-- add the ReaSynth plug-in to the track and turn down the track volume level (just in case ).

Details of all of those steps are in the User Guide and there's a check-list in section 3.40.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:36 AM   #3
V'ger

To get the 'track' buttons working, and also the up/down buttons, go to Reaper's action menu (hit the ? key), and in the window that opens, add the action and the key in the little window lower right.

The knobs you can map to track volume etc, but is a bit tricky involving TrackReaControl, see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_7DBXDVZt8 I prefer anyway to map them to the knobs of some favorite synths so I can tweak the sound while playing etc. To assign the knob, either use the synths own built-in 'midi learn' feature, or use Reaper's by moving the knob you want to assign, then click the Param button in Reaper's FX window and Learn there.

One thing to be aware of is that the big square 'drum' pads on the Launchkey send on Midi channel 10, whereas the normal keys send on channel 1. Normally this will not be an issue as most VSTi's (virtual instruments) will play on whatever midi channel they receive, but some might be picky, especially samplers or sample players. (The reason why the pads are on midi channel 10 is from old where drum machines were fixed to that channel).

A great little keyboard the Launchkey Mini. I got one for the kid and a SL 25 MKII for myself, but ended up sending the SL back and am now using the kids for myself.. It's so small and handy between the keyboard and mouse, and also so light to have on the lap.
V'ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 07:33 AM   #4
Andrew (Novice)

Hi, I am the inexperienced receiver of this awesome gift. I've tried following the steps that have been provided in your posts and in the guide but I don't seem to be able to get Reaper to register that I'm actually doing anything with the Launchkey. I am probably doing something so ridiculously obviously wrong without realising it but at the moment I'm stuck. I've looked up dozens of tutorials on this and read the guide but it's just not working. I'll keep you posted on whether or not I manage to get it working - thanks for the suggestions!

Btw I'm getting
"The following MIDI inputs could not be opened:
Launchkey Mini"
every time I open Reaper which you probably already knew but I decided I'd post that just in case it gives you a sudden brilliant idea.
Andrew (Novice) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:03 AM   #5
V'ger

If Reaper can't open the midi input, it seems the fault is outside Reaper. Check if it works in the Ableton Live program that comes with the Launcheky Mini.

If still no go, try unplugging the cable from Launckey Mini and replugging in another USB slot on the computer. You might even try to update Launchkey's firmware (software) to if that will help: http://global.novationmusic.com/keys...port-downloads
V'ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 09:10 AM   #6
jonshea

Default HELPPPPPP

Hey guys I've been struggling with this too. My question is, is there any way to use MIDI with ASIO4ALL? I'm getting some nasty input lag on my mini key that ASIA4ALL has always taken care of, but the only way I can actually see my hardware is if I'm in Waveout. I've always recorded straight signal before this is my first time using MIDI and it seems to be quite the headache.
jonshea is offline   Reply With Quote