COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :

Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Other Software Discussion > Wifight Discussion

Old 10-23-2007, 03:26 PM   #1
Brennan
hey man

Default What games would you like to see on wifight?

As you may know, wifight is actually many games in one. Currently wifight supports Chess and Tic-tac-toe, but those are just the beginning. What other games would you like to see? The only real restrictions are:

1. it must be turn-based

Actually that's about it. Other than that, it's wide open, since all the game logic is scripted (in Lua) on the server. As long as it deals with some kind of gameboard, and objects, and rules for doing stuff with those objects, and rules for who wins.

For example, most tabletop boardgames would fit into wifight nicely, as would most pen-and-paper games.

So what games would you like to see? Here's a list of some ideas I've had to get you started:

Rock-paper-scissors
Dots and Boxes (I'm actually working on this one right now. It will probably be the next one out.)
Go
Checkers
Old 10-24-2007, 03:31 PM   #2
Bspooky
Human being with feelings

How about Othello? That is a simple black and white disk/stone game that could pave the way for (at least graphics wise) Go or Atari. Plus it is quite fun and VERY VERY easy to play / rules. Online version here: http://www.freegames.ws/games/boardg...lo/othello.htm

Well Go or Atari (first capture or capture 5 pieces Go) of course. :-)

One I don't think has been mentioned before is Backgammon?

Hey, what about Battleship? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battleship_%28game%29

Hmmm, Dots looks interesting, win goes to the second player in a draw??? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dots_and_Boxes
Old 10-25-2007, 11:35 PM   #3
Brennan
hey man

Yep, second player wins in case of tie. I was reading http://cf.geocities.com/ilanpi/dots.html and it talks about how the second player has a disadvantage, so that helps to even things out.

Othello/Reversi seems really well suited for wifight. I think I'll definitely be doing that one at some point. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:35 PM   #4
supertrucker

I second the Othello and Backgammon, Battleship additions! This is probably a pipedream as well, but maybe some sort of Risk or Monopoly clone for two or more players!? Also, maybe some sort of Scrabble clone as well? (wi-rabble!??)

ST
Old 10-01-2008, 04:59 PM   #5
Brennan
hey man

Default Reversi now online

In the off chance you are somehow reading this and only this thread, Reversi (aka Othello) is now live on wifight.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:28 PM   #6
ahmedwali
Banned

Default Hi

Hello,
Hmmmmmmmmmmm I like to play freedom fighter on wifi it will be great.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:14 PM   #7
Brennan
hey man

Hi ahmedwali, do you have a URL or something that tells more about this game?
Old 06-02-2009, 10:54 AM   #8
trgeoff

hi Brennan

I thought Id move the Chain Reaction discussion to this thread.

Well I did my "big test" and it confirmed that the final config is independent of the path. I set up two boards with identical starting positions, whose configuration was such that the addition of an extra piece caused flipping along two different lines. On each board I started flipping along one of the different lines. I repeated this with five different starting positions, with between 28-32 coins on each board, and in each case the end configuration was the same on each board. There was a lot of flipping (ie chain reaction) in each case too, with many more decision forks, and with lots of opportunity for "interference".

The test is not exhaustive of course, but Im pretty optimistic that it would not be a waste of your time to try to implement a wifight version. Actually, if you play out the game enough you get an intuitive feel for why there should be no interference, but I can't yet put it in words.

I havent got a sense yet of what a good strategy would be in the game. One neat feature is the way the pace accelerates - in the early part of play there is no opportunity for reactions, but as the board fills, so does the explosive potential!
Old 06-04-2009, 05:56 PM   #9
Brennan
hey man

Smile

Sounds interesting. I'll try messing with it when I get a chance.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:09 PM   #10
trgeoff

Great, Im looking forward to having a game where I dont need to use lentils or other tricks to keep track!

The attached image is meant as an illustration of why the paths dont interfere. If one puts a black coin in the lower right corner then there are many paths to complete the chain reaction, but they all end up turning the whole pattern black.

This is a very artificial set-up (not like the ones I used for testing) but it captures the impression I was getting when playing real-life situations: that the final configuration is fixed, and that, like coloring in a picture in a kid's drawing book, it doesnt matter where you start.
Attached Images
File Type: gif securedownload.gif (9.2 KB, 407 views)
Old 06-06-2009, 11:34 PM   #11
trgeoff

A couple of names Ive been mulling:

ReversiMax,
Inversi
and the obvious,
Reversi Chain Reaction

and Ive already started on the User Guide

EDIT: revision of User Guide complete with "ReversiMax - to be implemented soon" section added. I also edited the Reversi section a bit, now that I better understand what constitutes the goal/end of a Reversi game.

Last edited by trgeoff; 06-07-2009 at 03:20 AM.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:53 PM   #12
Brennan
hey man

I like Reversi Chain Reaction myself. It's self-explanatory and sounds intriguing, I think.

Woot User Guide already! I'm gonna go check it out.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:47 PM   #13
trgeoff

Reversi Chain Reaction it is..userguide already updated..hope it doesnt overcrowd the Game info boxes
Old 06-08-2009, 09:36 PM   #14
Brennan
hey man

OK, so right now in the game details screen it will show as reversi(chr) to follow the convention of game(mod) naming, like chess(noai) or tictactoe(m). For the short name, that is.

For the full name (visible in the Select Game screen) it would be "Reversi (Chain Reaction)".

And this the name of the game variation itself would be Reversi Chain Reaction.

Or is this getting overly complex...? That's the pattern the previous games have followed, at least. And now that I think of it, it would be nice to display the full game name instead of the short one in the Game Details screen.

Assuming you're cool with the ()s, I'm gonna challenge you to a game of RCR right now Hmm, maybe it should be Reversi(RCR). It looks kinda cooler.

Edit: yep, switched to reversi(rcr). Definitely looks cooler and is pronounceable as a bonus.

Last edited by Brennan; 06-08-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:10 PM   #15
trgeoff

hi brennan

no probs with ().

ready to roll when you are, do I have to DL a special test version first? (ie I dont see any challenge as yet)
Old 06-19-2009, 04:28 PM   #16
Brennan
hey man

For the record, RCR rocks
Old 08-18-2010, 11:42 PM   #17
CaptNutters

Got some demands, er, suggestions for you:

-- Mancala (have an Android app for this, but it's local multiplayer only...)

-- Golf (maybe controlling like Tank Wars, but, you know, top down and without the killing) Could be single player.

-- Battle Golf (Same as above, but with exploding balls. Some sort of Caddyshack tie-in. The rights must be cheap at this point, right?)

-- A similar interface could be skinned as Pool/Billiards too. This would be better for multiplayer.

-- A RISK ripoff (Would require a scrolling map though)

-- A different sort of 2D fighter, sorta cribbing from things like Monster Lab. Pick parts/abilities of your fighter before a match as turn one. Then each turn is your single attack/defensive move. For example: I have a good blocking arm, a good punching arm, legs that can duck and a head for headbutting. My turn, I pick "Headbutt" and you pick what your fighter wants to do. Your physics engine does the rock-paper-scissors comparison of those two moves happening at once, and we see the resulting movie, then pick our next turn move until all HP are gone. Simple, right?

-- As long as we're on simple, how about ripping off Advance Wars too?

Ok, I'll stop now.