Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 04-24-2017, 05:21 PM   #1
Goatfarmer03
Human being with feelings

Default How can I listen along with musician?

I have a Scarlett 2i2 with 2 microphones (Vox on one, Acoustic on the other). I am use to recording only myself, so I just plug headphones into the front jack and turn Recording Monitoring on within Reaper to hear myself. Now I am going to record someone else playing and I cannot figure out how we can both listen in. Here are my questions:

1) Is "Recording Monitoring" within Reaper the same as turning Direct monitoring on the audio interface?
2) I do not have anything to plug into the 2 outputs on the back of my audio interface. How can I route the audio into a USB headset I have attached to the computer? Is that even possible?
3) Is there another way to make this work? My 5.1 speaker system going through my sound card would cause feedback since we are all in the same room . . . but I cant get that to work either
Goatfarmer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:30 PM   #2
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatfarmer03 View Post
I have a Scarlett 2i2 with 2 microphones (Vox on one, Acoustic on the other). I am use to recording only myself, so I just plug headphones into the front jack and turn Recording Monitoring on within Reaper to hear myself. Now I am going to record someone else playing and I cannot figure out how we can both listen in. Here are my questions:

1) Is "Recording Monitoring" within Reaper the same as turning Direct monitoring on the audio interface?
2) I do not have anything to plug into the 2 outputs on the back of my audio interface. How can I route the audio into a USB headset I have attached to the computer? Is that even possible?
3) Is there another way to make this work? My 5.1 speaker system going through my sound card would cause feedback since we are all in the same room . . . but I cant get that to work either
Hi Goatfarmer, and welcome to the forum.

#1. No, monitoring through Reaper is not the same as direct monitoring. If you have a powerful enough computer, you can get nearly the same results, but even then there are a lot of things that can cause too much latency, to the point it's impossible to play with.

I've got a pretty good computer and I do monitor through Reaper most of the time, that way I can also hear my FX.

#2. I don't think there's any way to use your USB phones, unless there's a way you can plug the output of your interface into it, which I doubt. Your interface has a headphone output you can use though.

One thing you can check, go to "Preferences>Audio>Device" and look to see if you can see your USB head phones. I doubt you will see it, but one way or another, you'll have to figure out how to connect Reaper to the USB phones if you want to use them.

#3. I'm not sure what to tell you about this one, if you're using microphones, then you need to use head phones to record with, that's a must.

Sorry I can't help more, I think you're going to have to do a little investing to do what you want. It shouldn't be too much, but will depend on just what you do.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:51 PM   #3
uncleswede

If you're going to record others in the future and you're not worried about individual monitor mixes, you can buy a headphone amp. I have had the behringer unit below for many years and it works very well. It's also very good value.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HA400
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:04 AM   #4
somebodyelseuk

A cheap way (free) of doing this, but I wouldn't really advise it, would be to install ASIO4ALL. If I remember correctly, from the ASIO4ALL settings, you can rout your audio outputs to various places besides your audio interface - we were able to rout my father's audio to his interface and his onboard audio, so he was able to monitor himself either on headphones or through his PC speakers... yeah, crappy setup, but it does what he needs it to do. Point is, you could certainly rout through your interface and onboard audio and use a second pair of headphones on the onboard (motherboard) headphone jack, or maybe ASIO4ALL would detect the USB 'phones?

Why wouldn't I advise it? ASIO4ALL 'is a driver wrapper'. It's okay for 'fixing' otherwise iffy drivers, but in my experience can be a royal PITA otherwise. It's not something I would ever use until I'd exhausted all other avenues when it comes to driver issues.

The above approach may also give latency issues.

For the time being, I would just bite the bullet and record one track at a time, until you can afford to spend money.
I've (and I'm sure many others) have been in the same situation years ago on many occasions. All I did was set the recording level with plenty of headroom, set the mix up that the performer wanted in the 'phones, pressed record and put my feet up for the duration until he/she signalled stop.

Last edited by somebodyelseuk; 04-25-2017 at 04:13 AM.
somebodyelseuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:33 AM   #5
Goatfarmer03

Thanks for replies thus far. I can record both channels just fine, and listen in using the headphone monitor port on the front of the Scarlett 2i2.
The issue is that it only works when I am recording/listening to myself. I have a "client" coming in to record, so we would both need "headphone outs". I have 2 sets of headphones . . . unfortunately one is a USB, so it only goes from the onboard sound.
I have ASIO4ALL as well, so maybe I will check to see if using that will let me IN from the audio interface and OUT through the audio interface and USB headset. Will have to consider the latency since I wont be using the fancy FocusRite ASIO built into my audio interface.
I will look into getting another set of (non-usb) studio monitor headphones.
Anyone have any info on doing this with Audio-Repeater software, Virtual Audio cables, or ReaRoute (not even sure what that is, but it lets me choose them as OUTs within Reaper.)
Goatfarmer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:04 AM   #6
ivansc

A second set of regular headphones?
Old 04-25-2017, 10:41 AM   #7
hopi

so really the problem if I understand this right is that on the audio card you only have a single headphone jack..right?

so go get two items:

another set of headphones
and a cable that with split the audio card headphone out to two headphone outs...

forget about the usb phones.... sell them to pay for this other method

and yes, if you need more control get a small headphone amp that will allow you to better control the vol going to each set of phones plugged into it.

..or upgrade the scarlett to one of their bigger interfaces that gives you two headphone outs....
Old 04-29-2017, 07:06 AM   #8
JeffreyET

What Hopi said.
I mounted 4 stereo jacks in a sardine can & wired them all together - but you need a stereo cable too. With 2 HP sets the load drop is noticeable but small.
I may look at my 2i4 to see if there's room to simply install a parallel headphone jack, that would be the most streamlined approach. I don't worry about modding a cheap box.