Old 08-09-2015, 12:46 PM   #601
paaltio
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Thanks for the report. "selection is linked to editability" means that selected MIDI items in the MIDI editor track list will be editable, nothing to do with which items are selected in the arrange view.

It appears that you also have enabled the MIDI editor option Contents/Active MIDI item follows selection changes in arrange view, which does what it says. It's not mirroring the selection in the arrange view and MIDI editor track list; it's only ensuring that the active MIDI item (the one that will receive notes that you insert) is the one that you most recently selected in the arrange view.

Admittedly these preferences can be confusing. I believe there was originally (in the 4.0 prereleases) a selection mirroring option, but it was annoying when deselecting all MIDI items in the arrange makes the MIDI editor useless.
Sorry, I think I had missed this earlier when making this report. So, this is actually fine as far as editing behavior goes.

There's no need to link the arrange and MIDI editor otherwise, but it seems to be the only way to convey to scripts what items the user is manipulating in the MIDI editor.

I.e. when processing notes in my scripts, I just go through all selected items and search for selected notes. But of course as you noted, there's no way to guarantee that it matches the MIDI editor view, so that's really just an incorrect approach in scripting. But there's no alternative that I can tell.

So, I guess I'm just really hoping for that API that allows us to iterate through all editable MIDI items reliably!
paaltio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:45 PM   #602
Neutronic

"Show track manager window" action does not toggle properly in version 5.0. The manager opens fine but can't be closed if its search field is focused. It worked properly in 4.78.
Neutronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:03 PM   #603
Catesby

R5 undo/redo is acting really strange sometimes requiring 10 or more presses to go back a simple edit. redo doesn't seem to do anything occasionally.
Catesby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:40 PM   #604
bigearz

Default OSC stops responding

I tried v5 rc 14b to record some vocals remotely using TouchOSC, but kept having to reload my project file time and again when it lost communication with Reaper.

The first time it happened was after an error message appeared (no track armed for recording). After clearing the message, communication was broken.

The next couple of times were only minutes apart, and I couldn't find any reason for the break in communication, but in each case a reload of the project established things back to normal again.
bigearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:16 AM   #605
Dimson

Incorrect settings are imported from the Mouse Modifiers old version 4.78

Tools do not work correctly in MIDI Editor
Example: Stretch note positions ignoring snap (arpeggiate)
Dimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:43 AM   #606
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimson View Post
Incorrect settings are imported from the Mouse Modifiers old version 4.78
This was an intentional change to the default behavior, so that the modifiers would behave similarly when editing media item edges, and MIDI note edges. If you have customized mouse modifiers, they should be preserved regardless of the default change.

+ MIDI Editor: changed default note edge mouse modifiers to match default media item edge modifiers

Quote:
Tools do not work correctly in MIDI Editor
Could you describe what you see as incorrect about the arpeggiate behavior? I don't believe anything has changed there. If two or fewer notes are selected, there is nothing to "arpeggiate".
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:03 AM   #607
Dimson

This tool itself cancels selection of events, Reaper 4.78 was a different behavior

Reaper 4.78

Last edited by Dimson; 08-13-2015 at 08:19 AM.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:22 AM   #608
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
This tool itself cancels selection of events, Reaper 4.78 was a different behavior
Confirmed! Fixing, thanks.

.. actually ...

What mouse modifier are you using for arpeggiate? I think you have it set to be the same as the midi note click behavior for "select note and all later notes." These modifiers are different by default. If you have changed the arpeggiate mouse modifier to be ctrl+alt+drag, you will also need to change the midi note ctrl+alt+click behavior to be "no action".

Last edited by schwa; 08-13-2015 at 08:40 AM.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:32 AM   #609
Dimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Confirmed! Fixing, thanks.

.. actually ...

What mouse modifier are you using for arpeggiate? I think you have it set to be the same as the midi note click behavior for "select note and all later notes." These modifiers are different by default. If you have changed the arpeggiate mouse modifier to be ctrl+alt+drag, you will also need to change the midi note ctrl+alt+click behavior to be "no action".
You're right, thank you

Last edited by Dimson; 08-13-2015 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:24 PM   #610
eaccin

Some items are greyed out in Peaks/waveforms preferences

Mac OS 10.10.4
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2015-08-14 at 2.20.17 AM.jpg (64.8 KB, 236 views)

Last edited by eaccin; 08-13-2015 at 10:28 PM. Reason: forgot to mention MAC OS
eaccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 12:14 AM   #611
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaccin View Post
Some items are greyed out in Peaks/waveforms preferences

Mac OS 10.10.4
Themes now control these settings
Old 08-14-2015, 05:18 AM   #612
AndreyMarchenko

Strange behavior... "Tiny fade in on playback start" function is off but on Playback start sound still Fade In :/ It never happened before. Fade In on tracks where is midi instruments.
When it's track with Audio Takes i hear click sound instead of proper sounding transient on Playback Start :/

Same thing on v5.0 and v5.01pre1

OSX 10.9.5

Last edited by AndreyMarchenko; 08-14-2015 at 07:27 AM.
AndreyMarchenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:59 AM   #613
eaccin

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
Themes now control these settings
All right, wasn't aware.
Thanks!
eaccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:16 PM   #614
Softsynth

Aftertouch does not work in Reaper VST3, but works perfectly in Sonar VST3.

VST3 GUI Resizing in Reaper is also inferior to VST2 operation.
It works but not in the usual, expected way. You have to close and reopen the GUI, Unlike VST2. A bit annoying but no biggie, hopefully a temporary problem in this build.

Testing with:
Steinberg Retrologue (aftertouch broken)
Diva (aftertouch broken, GUI Resize issue)
ACE (aftertouch broken, GUI Resize issue)
Sample Tank 3 (aftertouch broken)

GUI has to be closed and reopened to fit display. A backwards step from VST2, they just grow in size without having to reopen in VST2 mode.

I have put this topic here on Evil Dragon's request. This is regarding the release version 5.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:18 PM   #615
Neutronic

The bug I reported in post #602 also bit the "Show region/marker manager window" action. Again, it is new to R5 and does not happen in 4.78.
Also all column titles but "Name" are aligned to the right.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:22 PM   #616
foxAsteria

Default Ripple Still Broken

Moving items with Ripple: All Tracks still has no effect on Tempo Markers. Move envelopes with items option is on.

Thanks for fixing those regionproblems though!
Old 08-14-2015, 11:50 PM   #617
J Kennedy

Default ReaControlMidi bug

Friends,

Bug in Reaper 5. Was a bug in Reaper 3, carried through as a bug to Reaper 4. Bug in Reaper 5. Independently verified as a problem through the timeline and no resolution for years..

I had mistakenly reported this and asked for help several times to fix a bug in ReaControlMidi. Sorry, this wasn't accurate from a vegetable layman perspective. The bug is in Reaper itself, not the plugin. Plugin is probably okay. Haven't yet figured out how to test it in Sonar, but likely a non entity anyway even if it works in that environment. Did find that if ReaControlMidi is cloaked in a program like EnergyXT, the crash does not happen.

Background…

The metronome in Reaper crashes the pitch shift in ReaControlMidi if there is a count in used during recording. Frustrating, irritating problem. Only destroys the track you try to newly record, not an adjacent track already populated with midi data and ReaControlMidi was already applied without a metronome count in.

The slider for the pitch wheel is not moved in the crash, but grayed out and the pitch is reset to unity.

Schwa was gracious to ask for crash logs which I submitted, but no response. Maybe the problem is too hard to fix.

Can report a new observation that the crash happens in the first measure of the track playback from time zero. If you drag a midi file to the right, to the next measure, the crash does not occur. Fatal flaw happens with time zero reset.

Only affects the workflow of midi keyboard players who need this function. Not an issue to anyone else.

Steps to replicate the flaw:

Load any midi synth or sampler that needs to be detuned.

Load ReaControlMidi upstream, enable and set the pitch wheel to the desired shift.

Arm to record with the metronome set with a count in.

Start recording and the track is fried. Permanently damaged.

Devs, please fix this so I can upgrade my license to ver 5 with faith in the program.

Thank you,

John
J Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 12:28 AM   #618
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Kennedy View Post
Steps to replicate the flaw:

Load any midi synth or sampler that needs to be detuned.

Load ReaControlMidi upstream, enable and set the pitch wheel to the desired shift.

Arm to record with the metronome set with a count in.

Start recording and the track is fried. Permanently damaged.
can't reproduce. you sure those are all the steps? all you're doing in the plugin is changing the pitchwheel value? could be the problem is specific to your hardware maybe?
Old 08-15-2015, 04:19 AM   #619
AndreyMarchenko

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyMarchenko View Post
Strange behavior... "Tiny fade in on playback start" function is off but on Playback start sound still Fade In :/ It never happened before. Fade In on tracks where is midi instruments.
When it's track with Audio Takes i hear click sound instead of proper sounding transient on Playback Start :/

Same thing on v5.0 and v5.01pre1

OSX 10.9.5
Folks.. Anyone? :/
AndreyMarchenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:40 AM   #620
Icchan

Default MIDI-item labels overlapping the MIDI-data

Hi, I'm wondering if this is a bug in R5 or just something I've not noticed before:

MIDI-item labels are overlapping the MIDI-data even if "use solid background on item labels" is set:

If it can be fixed with theme settings, it would be great, but shouldn't that "solid background" be respected in all situations?

Especially annoying with large zoom-out levels when you need to quickly get a glance of what's happening in complex orchestrations.

UPDATE: This is most propably a bug or I just haven't noticed it working like this on 4.x (I'll recheck it soon) since "use solid background" doesn't do anything regardless of messing with theme settings even if the data is audio:

Hope you fix this soon

Last edited by Icchan; 08-15-2015 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Confirming the issue....
Icchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:43 AM   #621
Icchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaccin View Post
All right, wasn't aware.
Thanks!
Would be useful to have a tooltip for these. It's just confusing people otherwise.
Icchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:15 AM   #622
Jeffos
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutronic View Post
The bug I reported in post #602 also bit the "Show region/marker manager window" action. Again, it is new to R5 and does not happen in 4.78.
Also all column titles but "Name" are aligned to the right.

I don't consider this as a bug, personally: when a text field has the focus all keys should go to it, even ctrl+stuff which is most useful at times (eg. ctrl+A, ctrl+shift+arrowkeys, etc). This has indeed changed vs v4.78 but just to fix as explained above -- because, for ex., on Win, the suppr key wasn't working (!) When you're in a text field, you can tab/shift+tab to get out of it first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Moving items with Ripple: All Tracks still has no effect on Tempo Markers. Move envelopes with items option is on.

Thanks for fixing those regionproblems though!
Yes, this was an intentional change in v5pre8, http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...&postcount=101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icchan View Post
Would be useful to have a tooltip for these. It's just confusing people otherwise.
There's a help text when hovering preferences at the bottom of the window... It's said there...

Last edited by Jeffos; 08-15-2015 at 08:42 AM. Reason: englitch
Jeffos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:38 AM   #623
Neutronic

Jeffos, but now the simplest task of opening/closing the managers can't be performed with one stroke. It especially feels weird since it worked before and it was a part of the workflow. Plus, I don't get the benefit of passing function keys to the field (I used to toggle the track manager with one of them) since they don't perform any navigational tasks.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:05 PM   #624
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutronic View Post
but now the simplest task of opening/closing the managers can't be performed with one stroke.
A workaround is to create a custom action and include the action to focus arrange at the end. Now your keystrokes will be passed there instead of the search field.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:58 PM   #625
Neutronic

Thank you for the idea, foxAsteria! I completely forgot about that handy action. Just tested the custom actions and they do precisely what I need. Thanks! On a similar note, it would also be cool if the action or any other did the same thing from inside the Media Explorer to create the same workaround of opening/closing it with one single key.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:23 PM   #626
J Kennedy

Default ReaControlMidi bug

FoxAsteria,

Thanks for your time to reply. I only wish this flaw in Reaper was a specific hardware issue. Have tried this on different Windows XP and 7, on different computers. One other Reaper based studio in the area has the same problem, frustrating both because it exists and is ignored, but not enough to shut the place down. There are workarounds and ways to alter work flow to get around the bug, but would be nice to just have it work like advertised.

The crash is not always consistent which is the frustrating thing. I get all excited that the latest release has fixed the problem. It may crash immediately or work for a couple recording attempts best scenario, and then crap out. Lost a lot of money and face over this bug a couple years ago, so why I'm pestering the devs to fix it.

Try recording a track a couple times in a row using the outlined steps, and it will self destruct. Have tried in my ignorance to replace the included tones to external waves and still a no go.

Best info I can submit is that the reset happens in the first measure. Drag the file to the right and the offset gets around the crash.

Anything the devs need, crash logs, project files, I can send.

Best,
John
Old 08-15-2015, 05:12 PM   #627
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
FoxAsteria,

Thanks for your time to reply. I only wish this flaw in Reaper was a specific hardware issue. Have tried this on different Windows XP and 7, on different computers. One other Reaper based studio in the area has the same problem, frustrating both because it exists and is ignored, but not enough to shut the place down. There are workarounds and ways to alter work flow to get around the bug, but would be nice to just have it work like advertised.

The crash is not always consistent which is the frustrating thing. I get all excited that the latest release has fixed the problem. It may crash immediately or work for a couple recording attempts best scenario, and then crap out. Lost a lot of money and face over this bug a couple years ago, so why I'm pestering the devs to fix it.

Try recording a track a couple times in a row using the outlined steps, and it will self destruct. Have tried in my ignorance to replace the included tones to external waves and still a no go.

Best info I can submit is that the reset happens in the first measure. Drag the file to the right and the offset gets around the crash.

Anything the devs need, crash logs, project files, I can send.

Best,
John
Please stop using the word "crash" in this way, it is confusing and misleading! A more accurate description would be "dropped MIDI Events" or "missing MIDI events" or similar.

Having said that, please try 5.01pre2, thank you.
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 05:26 PM   #628
J Kennedy

Default Midi bug

Thank Justin,

Not the brightest in proper syntax, no knowledge of coding or programming, so just calling and describing it the way I see it.

Appreciate your attention to this. Will download the latest release and report back.

Much appreciated.

John
Old 08-15-2015, 06:04 PM   #629
J Kennedy

Default ReaControlMidi bug resolved

Justin,

Deep appreciation for your intervention. Been with you since ver 1 somewhere back in 2006.

Trying hard to get the metronome to crash, and it now works like it is supposed to be. ReaControlMidi was (is) a novel approach to keyboard pitch shift without having to go through resampling and latency. Concept so simple that it has so far escaped every other DAW. Major impass gone now for those few of us who relied on this function.

Will spread the word to the Reaper users out here and be updating my license.

Again, thanks for fixing this issue,

John
Old 08-15-2015, 06:42 PM   #630
EpicSounds

Quote:

Not the brightest in proper syntax, no knowledge of coding or programming, so just calling and describing it the way I see it.
Fault, or bug would be fine. Crash indicates the program or computer froze, or closed without warning, loss of work etc.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:55 PM   #631
J Kennedy

Default Midi bug resolved

Epic,

Acknowledged. Don't have my terminology straight in the DAW realm. My bad and my ignorance.

Jock in the medical field here, and similar that the slightest variation on the spin of a word designates another pathway to interpretation, diagnostics, treatment algorithms.

Would not remotely rely on me to describe a digital event any more than I'd trust a programmer to describe how to remove a brain tumor.

At this point, very happy and grateful that Justin and crew understood a lay description of the problem and finally fixed it. Has brought the beauty of Reaper full circle for me.

Very best,
John
Old 08-23-2015, 10:34 AM   #632
Lazarus

Is this a bug in TimeMap_GetMeasureInfo or one of the other calls...

https://github.com/Lazzle/ReaMIDI/co...b93ca7ef3dda66

...? It doesn't look like we should have to subtract 1 and smells like either zero vs one based hoopla with time sigs or something else, or my user error.

I was/am storing the time sig for notes and noticed that the time sig for the next measure was being stored with that code.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:25 PM   #633
EpicSounds

I don't export and import toolbars often, more like never, so I'm not sure if this is normal.

When I export piano roll toolbar and import it again, some of the icons are gone.

Screenshot from a video a while ago

screenshot from yesterday after importing again.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:06 AM   #634
Dimson

Please correct the behavior of the action "Quantize notes position and end to grid", such behavior makes no sense, the minimum length of the notes, must meet the minimum size set by the grid. Always use this action in the work, it is not convenient to constantly adjust short notes, which result from the use of this action

Old 08-25-2015, 07:49 AM   #635
EpicSounds

oh yeah I've noticed that is very erratic at times.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:13 AM   #636
spk77

Not a bug, but inconsistency between two functions:

I noticed that passing a return value from TrackFX_GetFXName to TrackFX_GetByName doesn't work...

Code:
fx_name_ret, fx_name = reaper.TrackFX_GetFXName(track_id, fx_number, "")
If fx_name is f.ex. VST: GClip (GVST)

... and it's passed to TrackFX_GetByName...
Code:
fx_index = reaper.TrackFX_GetByName(track_id2, fx_name, false)
...it always returns -1.

This works, though:
Code:
fx_index = reaper.TrackFX_GetByName(track_id2, "GClip", false)
spk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 01:02 PM   #637
ramses

Not the proper place, I know. But could we please be allowed to turn the arrange background shading of muted tracks off? Please? It really clutters up the arrange view and draws unnecessary attention to the muted tracks, when usually the muted tracks are the least important element of the arrange view at any given moment. It seems like such an easy fix. If it's not, just tell me and I will never bring it up again. Thanks.
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:59 AM   #638
Endisol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramses View Post
Not the proper place, I know. But could we please be allowed to turn the arrange background shading of muted tracks off? Please? It really clutters up the arrange view and draws unnecessary attention to the muted tracks, when usually the muted tracks are the least important element of the arrange view at any given moment. It seems like such an easy fix. If it's not, just tell me and I will never bring it up again. Thanks.
QFT! It must just be an off switch! Apparently people been asking for a while it's a funny one to not be allowed to change on world's most customizable DAW ;-)
Endisol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:18 AM   #639
ELP

I mean only one switch option ON/OFF would not be the right way.
It would feel/smells like something half finished.
I mean if,... then it need a blending option within the theming dialog.
Quite the same way as the blending options for locked TCP.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:29 AM   #640
Endisol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELP View Post
I mean only one switch option ON/OFF would not be the right way.
It would feel/smells like something half finished.
I mean if,... then it need a blending option within the theming dialog.
Quite the same way as the blending options for locked TCP.
Well exactly you can choose whatever shade you want for everything else on the arrange page. A simple "off" would really work for me in the interim you get used to it but initially its like "whoa" and does look more messy i think when too dark
Endisol is offline   Reply With Quote