Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 04-07-2014, 03:54 AM   #1
KeithC
Human being with feelings

Default New HP Desktop, will this be a good starting point?

I have a Tascam DP-24 that I want to track on, and want to edit, add VIs in Reaper. I have the same issue as most, MONEY! However, yesterday I found an HP that came out in January that has as follows: i5 4 core 4440 chip, 12 gb ddr3-1600 Ram, 3 Ghz processor w/turbo, 2TB 7200 RPM SATA hdd, it only has integrated HD grapics/audio card, but has about 8 usb 2.0, &3.0 usb ports, three card readers, 3 monitor outputs, and at least 4 pci slots, and two other slots that are a litlle smaller than standard PCI, so I'm not quite sure what those are,(not a big techie, but was proficient in the analog days.). I mainly want to use this for editing my DP24 tracks, and for drums, organ, and piano VIs, and realize a good video, and audio card will be necessary to do much more than edit, but at $749.00, including keyboard, and mouse, would it be a good starting point? It's an Envy, 700-214, I have two great monitors, but what I don't have is time to build a dedicated PC, or the money to have everything at once, but it seems totally upgradeable, and lastly, I know I'd need to get rid off all the preloaded crap, and it's win8.1, should I keep 8.1, and clean out the junk, or just wipe it, and buy a naked copy of win 7, if this PC is deemed a good starting point by you guys? Any, and all opinions will be greatly appreciated, and no offense taken if the answers are negatitve. However, after many long hours of reading, it seems to be more than many say they are doing fine with.
Thanks a bunch, Keith

Last edited by KeithC; 04-07-2014 at 03:59 AM. Reason: Spelling
KeithC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:56 AM   #2
KeithC

A little help, PLEASE! LOL Some of you guys must know the answer?
Old 04-07-2014, 09:15 AM   #3
edkilp

Read the system requirements. Obviously, it exceeds them. Easy answer. I have Win7, but there are many here with Win8.1 and no problems.
edkilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:54 AM   #4
KeithC

Thanks EDKILP, I realize it far exceeds the requirements to run Reaper, but I see ao many posts about this MOBO, this Chipset, and on, and on, and on. However, since it's very upgradeable, I wanted to make sure that with a wipe of all the crap on a factory loaded machine, a good audio card, and video card, and probably a second drive for storiage, that it would be as close to a dedicated DAW build as is possible for it's purpose. I've also seen some say to stay away from HP, even though the components are made in the same Asian factories as all computers, including Macs. I've had a couple of people on other forums who run Macs, and DAW builds say that they'd have no problem goung into a recording battle with "that Tank" as they call it, so unless anyone has a valid reason why I shouldn't use this as a starting point, I'm gonna go for it. So please keep the comments coming guys, I can't afford a mistake!
Best Regards to all, Keith
Old 04-08-2014, 04:29 AM   #5
Mink99

Some line breaks would increase readability ...
Mink99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:13 AM   #6
edkilp

I would say you're overthinking this a bit. Load it up and make music. It's ridiculous to think you can't record music on a specific brand of computer. So much crap info on the net. Where does it end? What's next? "Oh, I use my Dell for audio, but my HP is really better for MIDI". Just go for it, dude! My gut feeling is you're gonna be just fine. There are still a ton of folks here getting awesome results on Windows XP. I wouldn't be sitting there stressing out over motherboards and chipsets. Have fun!
edkilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:00 PM   #7
rvman

The only time I've had an issue between recording software and chipsets was when trying to use pro tools.

NO OTHER software gave me trouble over the chipset.
rvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:58 AM   #8
KeithC

Yes, I realize my posts are long, I will place them in separate paragraphs to keep them from being so cluttered.

I also decided to just go for it, it's within my budget, and other than an audio card with it's own RAM, it's a very powerful PC, that exceeds a lot of stuff I see people recording on. I am new to DAW but have lots of experience in studio, but all in the 80's, and early 90's, and it has changed so drastically that I wanted to make damn sure I got something that worked.

Thanks for your opinions, I'll be up and running in a couple of weeks!

Peace, Keith! That better, hehe?

Last edited by KeithC; 04-09-2014 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Typos