Old 04-15-2014, 08:36 AM   #1
georgemarauder
Human being with feelings

Default Synth1 Bugs with Reaper?

Hello!

I think this is the right place for this, if not, please move it!

I have encountered several bugs using Ichiro Toda's Synth1. The following anomalies have occurred:

1. The arpeggiator messes up. Sometimes it reverses it's order, adds an extra note, etc. All seemingly at random.

2. The Sample and Hold sync-to-tempo function doesn't stay in time. Well, it stays in time, but it begins on an offbeat even if the note is quantized on the downbeat. This defeats the purpose of a sync-to-tempo function.

Has anyone experienced either of these issues? Secondly, is there any way I can work around these issues by perhaps using some sort of FX plug-in to do the job for me? (I.e. instead of using Synth1's arpeggiator, I could use some free plug-in, same with the sample and hold.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This really put a damper on my music production because Synth1 is an amazing sounding synth, but if I can't use it properly with Reaper, I'll have to find something else. Thanks.

- George
georgemarauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:44 AM   #2
EvilDragon

For arpeggiating you can try using Kirnu, it's free. But it's been working fine for me in Synth1, never had any issues.

Regarding second issue, do you have KEY enabled as well as Sync for the LFO? This will ensure that the LFO always starts at phase 0° on each keypress.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:09 AM   #3
georgemarauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
For arpeggiating you can try using Kirnu, it's free. But it's been working fine for me in Synth1, never had any issues.

Regarding second issue, do you have KEY enabled as well as Sync for the LFO? This will ensure that the LFO always starts at phase 0° on each keypress.
Thanks for the tip on Kirnu, I will grab that and try it out.

I do have KEY enabled as well as Sync for the LFO. For some odd reason, it starts offbeat every time I render the track or play it from the beginning. If I then stop the track and play it back from the beginning of the arpeggiated sequence, it plays fine. It's only when I play it from the beginning or render the track that it falls out of time. Weird.

Thanks again. I also found a plug-in for the filter S&H effect. It's called Classic Auto-Filter and it seems to do the trick just fine. You can sync the LFO to tempo and it includes a random LFO setting.

Edit - I can't seem to get any sound out of Kirnu, though. Any tips to get that working? I have all the settings dialed in and the pattern seems to run and everything, but no sound.

Last edited by georgemarauder; 04-15-2014 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:32 AM   #4
EvilDragon

Kirnu is just generating MIDI, it doesn't have any sound of its own. Place it before the synth you want to arpeggiate.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:36 AM   #5
georgemarauder

Oh, I placed it after, not before. Thanks!