Old 05-15-2009, 04:17 AM   #1
edwar64896
Human being with feelings

Default Dropout Detection

Is there a feature within Reaper that indicates on the timeline if and where a dropout has occurred during recording?

The context of the question is this... I have an HP laptop that is coming to the end of its lease. I use Sequoia 10.2 with this unit under XP SP. On the HP, I use a PC Express Firewire 400 interface with RME Fireface 800. Generally, I don't experience dropouts at all.

I have recently purchased a macbook pro which I bootcamp to Win XP SP2. However, using the same PC Express Firewire interface, I experience regular ASIO dropouts. I have checked the latency and every 20 seconds or so, there appears to be a spike. This corresponds to the frequency of the dropouts I am experiencing.

I am currently testing Reaper on MacOS, however I am not able to be sure whether the audio streaming from my device is 100% clean.

Is there an indication that will clearly tell me if dropouts are occurring during recording? If I can get a clean stream of at least 12 channels of 96kHz/24bit sampling I will probably ditch the bootcamp partition as the only reason I have it is to use it with Sequoia and currently, Sequoia/MBP/RME FF800 doesn't seem to be cutting the mustard for me. Might have to hang onto the HP laptop for a little longer...

cheers,

Mark
edwar64896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:34 AM   #2
Bevosss

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwar64896 View Post

The context of the question is this... I have an HP laptop that is coming to the end of its lease. I use Sequoia 10.2 with this unit under XP SP. On the HP, I use a PC Express Firewire 400 interface with RME Fireface 800. Generally, I don't experience dropouts at all.

I have recently purchased a macbook pro which I bootcamp to Win XP SP2. However, using the same PC Express Firewire interface, I experience regular ASIO dropouts. I have checked the latency and every 20 seconds or so, there appears to be a spike. This corresponds to the frequency of the dropouts I am experiencing.
Maybe the same Bootcamp problem mentioned here?

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=591

You also had to disable wireless networking and possibly the keyboard manager in the beta version I used...the wireless produced a consistent dropout once per minute, for a couple of split second glitches.

Last edited by Bevosss; 05-15-2009 at 04:39 AM.
Bevosss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:45 AM   #3
edwar64896

Thanks mate - I had seen a similar post before and have my wireless and keyboard manager. I can't really fathom the statement that bootcamp and firewire doesn't work with RME hardware. Bootcamp is simply a boot manager that gets out of the way once the right boot partition is selected. Windows is running on the bare metal. If there _is_ an issue, it is more likely to be with the MBP hardware design. That aside, there are some good things in that RME forum post and I will read and inwardly digest in a little more detail to see if I can't get rid of those remaining dropouts.

thanks for the pointer...

BTW - are you aware of a dropout indicator in REAPER?

m
Old 05-15-2009, 04:47 AM   #4
Fabian

Detect dropouts?
Easy. They hang around downtown doing nothing, just loitering...

(sorry, I thought that was so funny I couldn't resist it :-)
Old 05-15-2009, 09:17 AM   #5
Earache

I believe the time display in the transport bar will flash red when dropouts are detected.
Earache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:34 AM   #6
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earache View Post
I believe the time display in the transport bar will flash red when dropouts are detected.
That's actually a disk underrun indicator... as far as asio dropouts, there is no indicator.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:53 AM   #7
darjama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
That's actually a disk underrun indicator... as far as asio dropouts, there is no indicator.
But if you're not looking at the screen at the moment it happens, you miss it, right?
darjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 06:26 AM   #8
edwar64896

mmm. Sequoia has a nice feature where if an ASIO dropout is created, an "E" marker is automatically created in the timeline at the point where the dropout occurred. That way, I can go back and inspect the damage.

I do quite a lot of live work and generally spend as much time as I can getting a new rig stable before taking it out on the road. But, only occasionally, I get a dropout.

a feature such as this (automatically creating an error marker) would be very useful for me as it is not always possible to keep an eye on the screen - especially during a long concert.

cheers,

mark edwards