Old 05-14-2012, 04:01 AM   #1
Mudchild
Human being with feelings

Default A few gripes with the Freeze function

Sorry if this has been covered before, but here's a few issues I have with the otherwise pretty groovy freeze feature of Reaper - any other thoughts?

- When ctrl-dragging to copy frozen parts, the copies appear unlocked, as if normal parts. Doesn't happen with copy and paste.

- Might it not be better to have a freeze icon on the parts instead of locking them? This would be clearer. Plus I don't really want the frozen items locked as such - still want to be able to delete them just as much as anything else.

- A freeze icon, or some other change in appearance, on the actual track in the TCP/MCP too? This would aid clarity.

Just my thoughts...
Mudchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:02 AM   #2
Viente

Good idea about "Freeze icon"
+1
Viente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:35 AM   #3
Narcoleptigon

+1 for track/mixer freeze icon, diagonal lines, or whatever. There should definitely be an indication on the mixer/track in the interest of intuitive work flow.

I don't care about any editing functions for frozen tracks. Those options can be covered by rendering parts, etc. The purpose of freezing a track is to take instruments/FX offline to save CPU power. by nature, the term "freeze" indicates that the track part cannot be altered. The frozen part needs to remain unalterable, or it ceases to be considered a "frozen" version of the original. If you want to edit the track or its instrument/FX, you can always unfeeze it and do what you want with rendering, etc. Freeze means freeze means freeze. Perhaps, a warning should be included on frozen tracks that comes up if you attempt to unlock the part? That warning should even suggest unfreezing it to do any part editing.
Narcoleptigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
hopi

it makes perfect sense to me as it is... the lock is totally needed IF you want to unfreeze...

IF I want to futher deal with the wav, I just unlock it, copy it to a new track below and re-lock the original.

I have a macro working that colors a frozen track blue and adds a snowflake track icon to it so it's very easy to spot in the tcp or mixer...

so I don't agree that we need any more icons on the item itself...

Last edited by hopi; 12-11-2012 at 10:31 AM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
Narcoleptigon

I figured there was something like that. Is that easy to do? can you post the file, or something.?
Narcoleptigon is offline   Reply With Quote