Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-09-2013, 02:21 AM   #1
Mudchild
Human being with feelings

Default In search of - XP-compatible free Kontakt Player plus free content library?

I folks

I'm helping to revive a school music department's music tech resources, on a budget. I've installed my own custom-made "beginner's version" of Reaper on their creaking old sub-1GB-RAM XP machines, plus some freeware instruments and FX.

I was wondering about Kontakt player plus the free libary - I can see that v5 doesn't work on XP, so I installed v4 and that works, but I haven't been able to sort out the free library - think the one I tried to put on may have been v5, not sure. Can anyone point me in the direction of the correct library, as I can't seem to find it. Also can this be installed without internet connections?

Thanks for any advice!
Mudchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:57 AM   #2
DarkStar

The free Library will, I would think, be in the latest K5 format. NI generally keep them in step. And the latest K5 does not run (or is it install) on XP. I think that earlier K5 versions did. EvilDragon will know.

Yes, NI software can be Activated offline: you create an Activation Request, transfer it to an Internet-connected system, get the Activation done there, and transfer the Activation Response file back to your offline system.

The only thing I can think of is, contacting NI, explaining your circumstances. There is a chance that they might provide you with a K4 Library download link.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:49 AM   #3
RoboPlankton

Mudchild.....(how the memories flood back....me and mud are old mates )......

The version of kontakt Player I downloaded from NI recently DOES work in XP SP3, just it isn't supported in that OS so they don't mention it in the specs. I refer you to this thread in which I investigate what you are trying to do:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=128195

This thread includes the only link I could find on the web to Kontakt Player version 5.1, which runs in XP SP3 32bit. I can't remember if I tried it with the NI free instruments pack, but I'll be doing that later today so will let you know. I'm getting organized after a system re-installation.

I was checking all this out to get a free Kontakt drum instrument up and running in XP SP3 32bit. Maybe you can set up a second computer to run it (it is very good indeed), because the Kontakt Player version which you get these days from NI will NOT run it, though the Player itself worked for me in XP SP3 32bit.

The Sennheiser drumkit thread is here:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...er+drummic%27a

My thread on getting the Sennheiser drumkit (setup is aimed at 64bit XP systems) running in XP SP3 32bit is here:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=127461

My post helping someone get the DVD (this is needed to run the kit on a 32bit system) from the Sennheiser German-language website is here:

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...&postcount=137

Plenty to go at there. Ask away if you need any help, I check in a least once a day.

I decided on the Player version from the website I link to in one of my posts so I can use the Sennheiser kit on my main music computer. The free Kontakt instruments are okay, but the drumkit is outstanding, pretty much pro quality and the best freebie drumkit I've ever heard. I plan to install the 'official' NI Kontakt Player version on a second computer, so I can use the instruments they give away.

I'm setting up my little home studio with free stuff, since there's a lot of very good free software and I don't record anyone but me.

Good luck with the project. Maybe get your students to register in the forum and use it.

(What am I saying.....? )

Last edited by RoboPlankton; 10-09-2013 at 06:06 AM.
RoboPlankton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
RoboPlankton

Okey dokey, reporting back.....

The free NI instruments I just downloaded DO run in the Kontakt Player 5.1 version I link to in the first thread which I link to in my previous post here. I've had no problems at all with this download and subsequent use of the program, but check what I write about it before diving in, to make sure you're happy with it.

I just checked the link and it seems to be active still.

So this version will give you a set of free Kontakt instruments AND run the free Sennheiser drumkit. You might see a high CPU useage in each, and personally I don't plan to run the free intruments and the drumkit simultaneously....looks like a no-no on my setup.

Some tips for activating the free NI instruments:

I did it offline, to save having to connect the computer to the web. If you can't log into NI, just click on "Forgot password" and they'll send you one. I've had to do this every time I've needed to log in, perhaps the password they send isn't valid for long.

If you go the offline route, don't waste hours looking for the place to upload your Activation Request File, just drag it on to any page on the NI site, then log in and follow the procedure.

Good luck. My activations for the free instruments and the Sennheiser drums both went very smoothly. Re-start the Player after activation to complete the process.

Last edited by RoboPlankton; 10-09-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #5
Mudchild

Plenty to get my teeth into there, I'll let you know how I get on... big thanks!

Also forgive me, but you have the advantage of me - where do we know each other from? Were you in 'Nam?
Mudchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #6
RoboPlankton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudchild View Post
Plenty to get my teeth into there, I'll let you know how I get on... big thanks!

Also forgive me, but you have the advantage of me - where do we know each other from? Were you in 'Nam?
No, I was thinking of my childhood - no money, no web, no TV for a while, just......mud, playing in it .

I highly recommend that Sennheiser kit - for no money it will give your students a taste of the pro arena. Probably best to get the DVD if you want it on XP SP3 32 bit, following my installation method, and then download the 64 bit version for the future if you ever change bittery.

That's the great thing about software - it lasts a long time with no watering .

Last edited by RoboPlankton; 10-09-2013 at 03:38 PM.