Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 04-19-2017, 12:45 AM   #1
DrKev
Human being with feelings

Default Two questions: Audio device refresh and mouse wheel modifiers

Two OS X questions (I'm running Reaper 5.40 on 10.10.5 but I've always had these issues with Reaper on a Mac)

1) How can I force a refresh of the audio devices list? If I start Reaper before I connect my USB interface (Yamaha THR running under a Yamaha Steinberg driver), Reaper won't show it in the devices list. I'll switch the interface on and off, Reaper sometimes won't see it. Sometimes if I shut and restart Reaper, it still won't see it. It always does eventually, but it's an annoying 60 seconds of my day that I'd rather have fixed.

2) How can I change the mouse modifiers for the scroll wheel on my mouse? Under Preferences>editing Behaviour>Mouse Modifiers I only have options for left click, left drag and double click.

Thank you everyone.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:27 AM   #2
solger

Quote:
1) How can I force a refresh of the audio devices list? If I start Reaper before I connect my USB interface (Yamaha THR running under a Yamaha Steinberg driver), Reaper won't show it in the devices list...
When the Yamaha THR is missing in Reaper, does it show up in the OSX Audio MIDI setup?

Can't remember coming across such an 'issue' on OSX myself, but maybe try if making and using an aggregated audio device makes any difference: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202000

Quote:
2) How can I change the mouse modifiers for the scroll wheel on my mouse? Under Preferences>editing Behaviour>Mouse Modifiers I only have options for left click, left drag and double click.
The Mousewheel is (or can be) assigned to actions via the Action List.

Last edited by solger; 04-19-2017 at 01:44 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:29 PM   #3
DrKev

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
When the Yamaha THR is missing in Reaper, does it show up in the OSX Audio MIDI setup?

Can't remember coming across such an 'issue' on OSX myself, but maybe try if making and using an aggregated audio device makes any difference: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202000
I'll test tomorrow and see. I'll also try an aggregated device and see if that helps. Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
The Mousewheel is (or can be) assigned to actions via the Action List.
I didn't know I could search the action list for things like mousewheel. Thank you so much!
Old 04-20-2017, 02:09 PM   #4
Vasily

I believe the case with Reaper is: it's not able to see the new audio interface unless you re-open the Audio device settings. At least that's what I always see. Actually I believe that's a bug and that list should be refreshed automatically (like in competitors DAWs), but it's not a big deal to close preferences and open them again.

P.S. Aggregated devices add a lot of latency, so I won't recommend this path.
Vasily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:33 PM   #5
rangerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
Two OS X questions (I'm running Reaper 5.40 on 10.10.5 but I've always had these issues with Reaper on a Mac)

1) How can I force a refresh of the audio devices list? If I start Reaper before I connect my USB interface (Yamaha THR running under a Yamaha Steinberg driver), Reaper won't show it in the devices list. I'll switch the interface on and off, Reaper sometimes won't see it. Sometimes if I shut and restart Reaper, it still won't see it. It always does eventually, but it's an annoying 60 seconds of my day that I'd rather have fixed.

Thank you everyone.
at times my midi is dropped, its a os usb issue with me , i just unplug the usb and reconnect
rangerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:55 AM   #6
DrKev

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerx View Post
at times my midi is dropped, its a os usb issue with me , i just unplug the usb and reconnect
In can confirm the OS isn't seeing it. Once it is, Reaper sees it no problem. No obvious way to force the OS to refresh its list of audio devices other than uplugging and replugging until it does. A little annoying but not the end of the world.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:07 AM   #7
serr

I can confirm that the device list does not refresh in Reaper when new hardware is connected until you relaunch.

re: Aggregate device as a workaround

Nope!

When you select an aggregate device of multiple interfaces, as long as one of the interfaces in the aggregate is present the aggregate device can still be selected (or will stay selected at relaunch).

This is not a magic workaround!

Notice that the missing interface is missing from the aggregate! The I/O is skipped and only the device(s) in the aggregate actually connected to the system show up.

Yes, the aggregate device comes up still connected but your unconnected interfaces are not magically restored by doing this. The aggregate device comes up as partial.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:32 AM   #8
DrKev

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
I can confirm that the device list does not refresh in Reaper when new hardware is connected until you relaunch.
Not for me. (2012 MBP, OS 10.10.5, latest Reaper). If the OS sees the device, Reaper does too. IIRC, I need to close and reopen the preferences but that's all.