Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 05-20-2017, 12:48 PM   #1
DazGsy
Human being with feelings

Default 32-bit or 64-bit compatibility with Reaper v2.58 project files and POD Farm

I'm about to download Reaper after an 8-year break from recording. I'm going to be running it on a Windows 7 64-bit PC with 16 GB RAM.

I'm not sure whether to install 64-bit Reaper or play it safe with 32-bit. I've got these questions:

- Can I open old Reaper project files from 8 years ago (Reaper v2.58) using either 32-bit or 64-bit Reaper?
- If I use my old Line 6 POD Studio UX2 and POD Farm, will it work on both 32-bit and 64-bit Reaper?

Apart from POD Farm, I'm not bothered about using any of the VSTs and plugins I was using 8 years ago.

So should I install 32-bit or 64-bit? Thanks.
DazGsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 02:51 AM   #2
solger

Quote:
Can I open old Reaper project files from 8 years ago (Reaper v2.58) using either 32-bit or 64-bit Reaper?
Yeah, should be possible in general.
But you'll simply have to try out how well everything included in your old project files will load ...

Quote:
If I use my old Line 6 POD Studio UX2 and POD Farm, will it work on both 32-bit and 64-bit Reaper?
Yes, assuming there are Windows 7 64-bit compatible drivers available for the POD - which looks like is the case ...

Quote:
Apart from POD Farm, I'm not bothered about using any of the VSTs and plugins I was using 8 years ago.

So should I install 32-bit or 64-bit? Thanks.
Go for Reaper 64-bit since it can make full use of your 16 GB RAM and is also capable of loading both 32- and 64-bit plugins.

And in case you want to use any old plugins which are only available as 32-bit version and won't play nicely with Reaper 64-bit: you can make a (32-bit) portable Reaper install to a separate folder and have a 32- and 64-bit Reaper version installed side-by-side: http://reaperblog.net/2015/07/reaper...nstall-option/

And welcome back

The current User Guide and a bunch of videos are available here:

- http://www.reaper.fm/userguide.php
- http://www.reaper.fm/videos.php

Last edited by solger; 05-21-2017 at 03:24 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:46 AM   #3
DazGsy

Thanks Solger! Sounds like a plan: I'll go with 64-bit Reaper, with the option of being able to play around with a 32 bit portable install if I really need to.

Out of interest, is it possible to have full installations of both 64-bit and 32-bit on a Windows PC without causing any problems?
Old 05-21-2017, 07:12 AM   #4
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazGsy View Post
Out of interest, is it possible to have full installations of both 64-bit and 32-bit on a Windows PC without causing any problems?
Yeah, a portable installation basically means that all application resource files are placed within a single folder. So you can have multiple portable installations (even of the same version) located in their own folders without interfering each other. And you can also simply copy/move just the single portable install folder to a different internal/external drive or computer, if necessary. Hence the term 'portable' ...

This is useful if you want to install, for instance, Reaper 32-bit and 64-bit side-by-side. Or even different versions of Reaper 64-bit (as example: the previous v5.35 and the current v5.40) in case you want test out new features of an update without interfering with your current Reaper install or config ...

In comparison, a default non-portable Reaper install will put its resource files to a default location (in case of Windows: "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\REAPER") which will be shared by all non-portable Reaper versions installed on the same system.

The REAPER resource folder location is accessible in Reaper via Options -> Show REAPER resource path ...
-----------------------------------

As a side note:

The only additional features not directly available in a portable REAPER install are ReWire and the ReaRoute ASIO driver (for routing AUDIO and/or MIDI between applications).
But in case you want to use one of these features also in a portable install, you'll simply have to do an additional step:

(1) Make a portable install first
(2) Run the installer again and make a default install (with the ReWire and ReaRoute ASIO driver option now available and checked) into the same portable install folder you used in step (1)

Last edited by solger; 05-21-2017 at 08:07 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:15 AM   #5
DazGsy

Great!. Thanks for the helpful info Solger, much appreciated.

Cheers,
Daz.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:36 AM   #6
DazGsy

BTW, it's good to come back to Reaper after all this time to see that it has gone from strength to strength and there are now stacks of videos out there by pro users and those that have switched to Reaper from Pro Tools and other DAWs. Well done to the Reaper team and the community on this forum!