Old 06-09-2017, 08:39 AM   #1
gio_mingarelli
Human being with feelings

Default NEED HELP WITH STUDIO SETUP!

Hey everyone,

I'm having some big problems here.

I've been trying to contact Line 6 regarding the issue and have not received an answer yet so I figured I'd reach out to some people across the web to see if they've had similar experiences that I'm facing.

Basically I can't get a signal from PODFarm to Reaper using Windows 10.

I've got all the drivers via Line 6 monkey updated.
Done tons of research and followed every tutorial, no luck.

PODfarm the program itself works fine
Reaper itself, without any modification, works fine. I can record my voice into it, yay.

As soon as I try to bring over PODfarm signal to Reaper - Nope.

Please help!!! Incredibly frustrated...

Giordano
gio_mingarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:35 AM   #2
ivansc

Default NO NEED TO SHOUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gio_mingarelli View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm having some big problems here.

I've been trying to contact Line 6 regarding the issue and have not received an answer yet so I figured I'd reach out to some people across the web to see if they've had similar experiences that I'm facing.

Basically I can't get a signal from PODFarm to Reaper using Windows 10.

I've got all the drivers via Line 6 monkey updated.
Done tons of research and followed every tutorial, no luck.

PODfarm the program itself works fine
Reaper itself, without any modification, works fine. I can record my voice into it, yay.

As soon as I try to bring over PODfarm signal to Reaper - Nope.

Please help!!! Incredibly frustrated...

Giordano
Are you trying to use Podfarm as a standalone or as a VST plugin within reaper?
From memory, using it as a vst is MUCH easier and works way better.
Trying to route audio from an external standalone is always going to be problematical and an unnecessarily complicated way to do it. What are you using as an audio/MIDI interface? A Line6 UX1 or similar?
If so there are other ways of doing this. Assume you are on Windows PC?
Old 06-09-2017, 10:06 AM   #3
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Are you trying to use Podfarm as a standalone or as a VST plugin within reaper?
From memory, using it as a vst is MUCH easier and works way better.
Using POD Farm as a VST over native Line 6 ASIO drivers will have bigger latency than their standalone app, though (that's its selling point, "tonedirect monitoring", low latency input monitoring regardless of DAW latency).

AFAIK it's pretty simple, once you launch POD farm standalone app it creates couple of send pairs, that pass either dry or processed signal (don't remember which pair which signal). Just use those sends as inputs in Reaper and voila, you're recording. Just don't use the track monitoring in Reaper, you're monitoring through POD farm standalone now.

Wait, there's a neat instruction here:

http://www.michalkaszczyszyn.com/en/...od_studio.html
Old 06-09-2017, 12:49 PM   #4
gio_mingarelli

Hey guys,

Really appreciate the replies!

So regarding Standalone/VST using Line 6 UX1 with PODfarm

I've tried both to be honest. My main goal was to get it as standalone first but I have even less luck with VST (after following tutorials posted by Line 6 and Reaper), the UX1 doesn't even recognize the VST)

To be honest, all of this recording is still really new to me so I'm not really sure of the pros/cons of doing either/or. I will do research at a later point but for now I am assuming standalone helps in terms of latency.

In temrs of send pairs, I'm not really sure what that's referring to

And yeah I am using a Windows 10 laptop
Old 06-09-2017, 01:26 PM   #5
gio_mingarelli

Default Progress

Ok so small update, Zeekat REALLY appreciate that website you posted.

Here's some things that came up. Check out the attachments.

My mixer screen only contains the AB options, and not the send options that you are referring to, not sure why it omits them.

Also, I can see from the control panel screen that this is likely a culprit in the issue, my ASIO client does not show reaper.exe.

How do I fix this?
Attached Images
File Type: png CTRL PANEL.PNG (27.5 KB, 250 views)
File Type: png AB.PNG (51.2 KB, 232 views)
Old 06-09-2017, 03:16 PM   #6
ivansc

the down side of standalone with direct monitoring is that you can't hear yourself playing WITH the pod farm effects at the same time. its one or the other. I and a couple of friends had good luck with the UX1 ASIO drivers - was getting down to 64 buffer ASIO this evening using EZDrummer vst and a MIDI e drum kit no problem.
Once you get the line6 asio drivers installed properly and select them in prefs options audio device you should find the vst latency is more than acceptable
Old 06-10-2017, 03:35 AM   #7
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gio_mingarelli View Post
My mixer screen only contains the AB options, and not the send options that you are referring to, not sure why it omits them.
My guess is you're not using the Line 6 device. Tonedirect sends in mixer appear only if you have Line 6 driver set in app settings, it's locked to their hardware and drivers. POD farm standalone app will work with any other interface, but without tonedirect thingie (in such case you're better off just using a VST version).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
the down side of standalone with direct monitoring is that you can't hear yourself playing WITH the pod farm effects at the same time.
You're thinking of zero latency hardware monitoring - not sure if Line 6 interfaces even have this, my GX sure doesn't. Tonedirect monitoring is basically low latency software monitoring using POD farm app with all the effects.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:14 PM   #8
gio_mingarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
My guess is you're not using the Line 6 device. Tonedirect sends in mixer appear only if you have Line 6 driver set in app settings, it's locked to their hardware and drivers. POD farm standalone app will work with any other interface, but without tonedirect thingie (in such case you're better off just using a VST version).

Hmmm not sure if I understand this paragraph. What do you mean by app settings and not using the line 6 device? I am exclusively using UX1 with no other interface (Just REAPER and PODfarm). Also, I've tried to set up the VST in REAPER by following Youtube tutorials and still have had no luck in getting any response from REAPER
Old 06-10-2017, 11:34 PM   #9
zeekat

If you run the standalone POD farm app while using UX1 (having it set in file/preferences as an input device), you should see red tonedirect sends in the mixer, like here:

If you don't see those sends the settings most likely are not using the UX1, maybe you have something like ASIO4ALL driver installed, I dunno? Must be UX1 with it's original, native driver if you want to record from standalone app to Reaper.

If you run the Reaper while correctly configured POD farm app is working, the same sends would be visible as input options:

Old 06-11-2017, 03:10 AM   #10
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
not sure if Line 6 interfaces even have this, my GX sure doesn't. Tonedirect monitoring is basically low latency software monitoring using POD farm app with all the effects.
I used to monitor what I was playing into the UX1 via the hardware analogue outs, which if course is direct monitoring, but bypasses the actual Podfarm software FX.
We are probably using the same term to meaan 2 different things!

Damn! Podfarm has changed out of all recognition since I last used it! I must download the latest Monkey etc, dust off the UX1 and give that a go.

OP: Sorry but it looks like most of my input is based on obsolete facts/experience - earlier Podfarm versions. I`ll just shut up....