Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 06-20-2012, 04:47 AM   #121
The Telenator
Banned

@Cosmic

Transistor radio? No, but I remember seeing them around. My dad and mum used to listen to the football and rugby broadcasts on them. No, what we did is go out and buy those warm-sounding -- even luscious -- and thick vinyl albums and hurry home to the stereo console. We learned pretty quick about taking care of the vinyl and replacing the needles at the suggested time. Once I had a job, I rushed out and bought an Empire turntable and started building up a really swell component stereo system. I went with Marantz, but everyone seemed to have their favourite make when it came to this. (I even found out last year, quite by accident, where that Empire is and still in service I believe!)
From all I've read, seen and been told over the years, that was about the same as most of my musical heroes did, In fact, that's often how we knew what to buy.

How about a slightly different approach? I'll randomly list some classic albums from back then and heading to more recent, and you can match that list with super well-produced, sure-to-be earth-shattering stuff. Let's see if you can come up with all this wonderful, ground-breaking music you say exists, with a proper dynamic range that stand up to any of these:

The "Beano" Album: John Mayall and the Blues Breakers, featuring Eric Clapton
Disraeli Gears The Cream
Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys
Sergeant Pepper's by the Beatles
Magical Mystery Tour
(any Beatles for that matter)
Her Majesty's... by the Rolling Stones
Exile on Main Street The Stones
(any older Stones I suppose)
Nashville Skyline Bob Dylan
Something/Anything Todd Rundgren
Tommy The Who (let's list a couple 'rock operas', aye?)
Jesus Christ Superstar Assorted Artists
Layla and Assorted Love Songs Derek & the Dominos
Dark Side of the Moon Pink Floyd
Wish You Were Here more Floyd
any Jimi Hendrix LP released before his death and therefore left unmangled
Pearl Janis Joplin (any Joplin w/ or w/o the Mothers)
Any Jefferson Airplane before morph to Jefferson Starship
Any Led Zep before Coda or In Through the Out Door
ANY Doors LP
Bridge of Sighs Robin Trower
almost any John Coltrane (don't have 2 hrs. to list all, but a little jazz, aye?)
but let's do A Love Supreme, okay?
Any Stevie Ray Vaughan LP except Live!
Any Jeff Beck LP
Rod Stewart and the Faces
Any Simon and Garfunkel
Deep Purple Machine Head
any Allman Brothers up to & including Brothers and Sisters
Johnny Winter
Second Winter
The Progressive Blues Experiment Johnny Winter
the first 4 Santana albums
pretty well any Elton John
Talking Book and Inner Visions Stevie Wonder

Please excuse -- my main instrument is the guitar, so this list is necessarily skewed in this direction, but I think you get my point. NOW . . . you make a list of all the earth-shattering albums that have been released since DAWs became universal in recording and that you are fairly sure anybody will remember in 50 years or so time. If you are not certain it was recorded with a DAW, please put an asterisk after it. Let just see all that fine awesome music that has happened recently. Remember, these need to be albums and artists that your average person might know about. (I'm not going to go hunt all day on the Net to see if these have any merit.) They must be both highly ranked recording, production/mastering and must be or be headed for all-time great classic stuff. I know plenty of obscure stuff too, like Spirit's 12 Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus, but didn't list those.

How about some great, ground-breaking jazz in hifi today? How about some ground-breaking pop that isn't Justin Beaver or Lady GooGoo? How about tell us some super-high-quality recordings of ground-breaking rock going on right now? Just about or close to NOTHING, ZIP, ZED, NADA, NOT . . .

Sorry, thinking about it some more, all us kids knew about high fidelity and how to get it by age 14 -- and we cared, too -- so your transistor radio nonsense just doesn't wash very well. Call it jaded if you want, but my ears don't lie!
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:02 AM   #122
Cosmic
Human being with feelings

You're living in the past man.

No future in that.
Cosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:17 AM   #123
The Telenator
Banned

Default Buck up ...

No, I assure you I'm very much on the cutting edge of what's happening now and so are most of my colleagues. I drew albums from the past (PRE-DAW) to make a point here.

Now, if you can't prove what you said above about music today or recent, OR you are just plain too LAZY to come up with a list of your so-called 'proof', then so be it. Essentially, I think it's both reasons, but you are welcomed to prove me wrong or forfeit any cred you had in your accusation.

Well, what you gonna do, smarty pants?
Old 06-20-2012, 06:01 AM   #124
Cosmic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telenator View Post
No, I assure you I'm very much on the cutting edge of what's happening now and so are most of my colleagues. I drew albums from the past (PRE-DAW) to make a point here.

Now, if you can't prove what you said above about music today or recent, OR you are just plain too LAZY to come up with a list of your so-called 'proof', then so be it. Essentially, I think it's both reasons, but you are welcomed to prove me wrong or forfeit any cred you had in your accusation.

Well, what you gonna do, smarty pants?

Heh..right stay tuned..when I get a chance I shall rebuke the living daylights out of you.

FWIW..I love most of those records you posted..but thats neither here nor there

Last edited by Cosmic; 06-20-2012 at 06:17 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:03 AM   #125
BobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
You're living in the past man.

No future in that.
No, he's just provided a benchmark.
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:13 AM   #126
Jae.Thomas

you know, some of those records sound kinda like crap.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:19 AM   #127
Cosmic

Ahh here..y'know what..if I just post a list of my favourite modern records..sure that proves nothing anyway..all you have to do is say..meh..sounds crap...

So not being lazy,but I'll let you take this round Telenator..when I'm retired too I'll take up the gauntlet again.But for now..havent the time.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:40 AM   #128
hotjams

Default Las Vegas just finished with the Electric Daisy Carnival, 350k

Tickets, the event sold out, Many of todays music stars play computers, and the audience loves it. Currently all the top bands...errrr, music acts in Vegas, play computers.

Not right, not wrong, just is.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:58 AM   #129
Wilkesin

DAW recording became pretty ubiquitous by the early 90's. Your saying no classic albums have been made since then? None that will ever be remembered? I want what you're smoking.

Also, +1 to Jason's comment. Several of the albums you listed sounds pretty crap.

...and I apologize for continuing the off-topic nature of this conversation.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:18 AM   #130
clickonce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
If I keep correcting all the wrong stuff here I'll never leave this thread. So, very last one...

The main commands for splitting have always been bound from the factory, since version 1.0, and they still are.

Split at Cursor, Split Range, Split Loop, are bound. The other two... Split at Transient, Split Grid... aren't bound in the default key map... but can easily be bound.

No snark, no sarcasm, no bad feelings at all... just much confusion as to why an owner of the software wouldn't already know that unless they never actually looked for it in the action list. The action names are anything but cryptic.

I'll stop doing that now.
Yep, likely I missed it.. because my other gripe with it was with finding the commands available to map. There was no incremental search, they had it partitioned by folders that made no sense to me. I just wanted to type "takes" or "layers" and find all available commands for those.

This may have changed in v2... honestly I didn't use it much after trying to work with their comping system. I was really disappointed with that... especially after all they hype on the forums about what was coming in regards to it.

Last edited by clickonce; 06-20-2012 at 09:25 AM.
clickonce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #131
Lawrence

I hear you. Comping there does kinda suck for me too, but for a different reason, but still, I do understand. I hope it's not in the "fully completed" bin just yet.

Anyway (off topic kinda) when I get into new software one thing I do is kinda look through the menus for the basic edit commands. The shortcuts are right on the menus and things that aren't bound won't have anything there on the menu next to it.

So I accomplish two things. I learn where it is in the menu system and I also get a quick peek at the current key bindings. Obviously, I'm just talking Edit, File, etc, where the most common editing stuff is. Some of these apps have tons of menus so I don't do that for them all, just the most obvious or common stuff.

Not saying you should do that, only that I find it works well for me, and it might for others, or not.

Thanks man.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #132
MidiDreamer

Quote:
Ahh here..y'know what..if I just post a list of my favourite modern records..sure that proves nothing anyway..all you have to do is say..meh..sounds crap...

So not being lazy,but I'll let you take this round Telenator..when I'm retired too I'll take up the gauntlet again.But for now..havent the time.
Put your money where your mouth is. Why didn't you spank him for "yelling" at you? Man put down the back-up, then you "backed up". I really wanted to see your substance. Come on, eh?
MidiDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #133
jnif

Quote:
How about some great, ground-breaking jazz in hifi today? How about some ground-breaking pop that isn't Justin Beaver or Lady GooGoo? How about tell us some super-high-quality recordings of ground-breaking rock going on right now? Just about or close to NOTHING, ZIP, ZED, NADA, NOT . . .
I'm sorry for continuing this off-topic discussion.
But this database might be interesting and helpful for those who try to find high quality recordings.
http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/inde...ear&order=desc
It seems to be quite difficult to find any popular CDs released in recent years that are marked as "good" (green color) in the dynamic range scale.

jnif
jnif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:10 PM   #134
The Telenator
Banned

Ooh, yeah! The Loudness Wars. Yup. More excellent proof of today's crap music.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled rerun, since not one here has listed anything to compare with the list I posted. I'm very curious to know which of those on my list sound like a crap mix or fidelity-wise. Jus' sayin'. I haven't heard most of those in a million years, but seems to me they all had pretty fine production values. I think the Stones had a few rough-quality releases but can't remember now.

As regards this pretty meandering DAW comparison, next time you want to do this could you PLEASE know which features your own stinking DAW has, so the next two or three posting don't have to spend their post correcting every remark made? I don't know, maybe read the manual or something first. A couple of you had the nerve to fuss about me going off-topic when you guys can't even pull off a specs & features comparison. Talk about wasting people's time.

Debating DAWs without even knowing all that one can or can't do is similar to making accusations and then you can't come up with the goods to back up the loud, rude mouth. Completely LAME.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #135
Cosmic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidiDreamer View Post
Put your money where your mouth is. Why didn't you spank him for "yelling" at you? Man put down the back-up, then you "backed up". I really wanted to see your substance. Come on, eh?
You're not still going about that are ya?!
Its a classic record,but you should change it now for something a little more modern.
Besides,I made a personal vow,after seeing how much I upset you and all the belly aching that ensued,to change my errant ways.I'm a reformed character.And life is better for it.

Anyway..back on off topic briefly, its pointless me listing loads of records..if the Telenator wants to believe that quality music is extinct..thats his business,I tried my best to give him a glimmer of hope,and failed.Its time to move on.

Last edited by Cosmic; 06-20-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:52 PM   #136
MidiDreamer

Quote:
You're not still going about that are ya?!
Its a classic record,but you should change it now for something a little more modern.
Besides,I made a personal vow,after seeing how much I upset you and all the belly aching that ensued,to change my errant ways.I'm a reformed character.And life is better for it.

Anyway..back on off topic briefly, its pointless me listing loads of records..if the Telenator wants to believe that quality music is extinct..thats his business,I tried my best to give him a glimmer of hope,and failed.Its time to move on.
No man, kinda just joking. I got over it. Cool? Just sayin' though, wanted to hear your side of that thing...here. Seriously, I appreciate your apology to me. I really was just joking...
Les
MidiDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:09 AM   #137
The Telenator
Banned

Just playing with you, Cosmic. I keep track of the few good releases that are out in the last decades. You're so down on the older tunes, yet the newer artists are doing covers of the older stuff at a rate I've never seen before. You want to junk anything that's older just because it is, and that's foolishness. And when these new artists do record originals they often sound rather derivative of the older classics anyways. John Mayer's most recent hit is an utter rip-off of an old Impressions tune I think it was. An actual copyright infringement; he'll be in the courts soon.

Cosmic: ". . . pointless me listing loads of records . . ." No loads to list and you know it, yet it would have been a way to prove your case but laziness crept in. Typical . . . all form without substance these days. All talk, talk . . . and talk is cheap. You fare well with the great noise and personal jabs here, but all signifying nothing. Reminds me of that old "where's the beef" Wendy's fast food advert. I was sure you'd be able to get off your couch and at least buck up and name maybe a half dozen, or maybe three? There are maybe that many in the last 20 years I can think of with both real originality and excellent production values but it is rather barren these days and get honest with yourself about it -- Arcade Fire, Imogen Heap -- but there's no "loads of records" just loads of hot air from ya. It says "inside Reaper 24/7" under your avatar and I can see that's referring to the forum. I hope you won't become one of these forum ghosts who are on here yacking 24/7. There's a special breed of them on these sorts of forums. One of my group calls them 'the plugin junkies' -- always yacking away and fiddling with a different DAW every week or two. Never satisfied, always want one more stupid feature added or they pitch a fit and start threads like this. Never getting any work done from haunting forum threads. Ever notice that the ones who yack and gab away on every thread every day (if they even have a website or SoundCloud link at all to check out), are the ones who seem to have the lowest work output? Gee, why is that you think?

I take full responsibility for my own part in driving this thread into the ground. It really wasn't a winner in the first place. No worries -- the same exact topic will begin all over about a week from now. Only interesting one I've seen so far has been Reaper v. Pro Tools. Laughable to see a nearly free DAW as Reaper kick the old industry standard right in the pants, while PT is still going for about $2kUS with all its toys included. All the snob appeal is fading fast. You know of course that most all DAW engines are really about the same, but something about PT always sounded cold and stiff to me. Ah . . . PT, just an old bad memory now.

Can't say I'm very impressed with this Studio One. Nobody built much of a case for it here, yet I know some people like it. I'm predicting a huge wash out and leveling in the DAW world next 5 years, as the snob DAWs rightly get their arses kicked by upstarts beginning with Reaper and the Fruit people. I don't see it get mention here almost ever, but you should know that Reaper is getting picked up more and more by the 'name' studios. Yeah, it's turning up on lots of lists, as staff here and there getting fed up with PT's proprietary nonsense and more. Reaper is a rather thoughtful build of a DAW; why so eager to go spend hundreds more on systems most of you don't hardly know how to operate? I don't go trading in my mate just because she made a stink out of the recipe for creme brulee last weekend. Hmm?

Last edited by The Telenator; 06-21-2012 at 01:17 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:46 AM   #138
Cosmic

Quote:

Cosmic: ". . . pointless me listing loads of records . . ." No loads to list and you know it, yet it would have been a way to prove your case but laziness crept in. Typical . . . all form without substance these days. All talk, talk . . . and talk is cheap. You fare well with the great noise and personal jabs here, but all signifying nothing. Reminds me of that old "where's the beef" Wendy's fast food advert. I was sure you'd be able to get off your couch and at least buck up and name maybe a half dozen, or maybe three? There are maybe that many in the last 20 years I can think of with both real originality and excellent production values but it is rather barren these days and get honest with yourself about it -- Arcade Fire, Imogen Heap -- but there's no "loads of records" just loads of hot air from ya. It says "inside Reaper 24/7" under your avatar and I can see that's referring to the forum. I hope you won't become one of these forum ghosts who are on here yacking 24/7. There's a special breed of them on these sorts of forums. One of my group calls them 'the plugin junkies' -- always yacking away and fiddling with a different DAW every week or two. Never satisfied, always want one more stupid feature added or they pitch a fit and start threads like this. Never getting any work done from haunting forum threads. Ever notice that the ones who yack and gab away on every thread every day (if they even have a website or SoundCloud link at all to check out), are the ones who seem to have the lowest work output? Gee, why is that you think?
Here ya go Telenator..this is the only music I listen to..I get plenty work done..get played on the radio..have loads of fans and don't use any other software bar REAPER and a few plugins..never even tried another DAW.I have one mic a preamp and some monitors.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Gazontheraz
https://www.youtube.com/user/HotColossus almost forgot my new youtube channel.

And my soundcloud http://soundcloud.com/retardedcop

And I have a 7" coming out next week with the other band I lead http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=104680

I'm on here all the time beacuse I live on my own in the country writing and recording around the clock although I do enjoy a bit of a converstaion abour all things audio and have an insatible appetite for knowledge about REAPER as I'm not long using it and have a lot to learn,and the people here are lovely mostly.I only emerge to play packed out gigs.

I released a full band lp last year..about to release another one..and have writen recorded and made videos for 60 songs in 18 months on which I play everything and they get played on both Irish radio here and on the BBC..which is something I'm quite proud of.I also gt about a thousand youtube hits a week.I'm about to upload a tune I wrote yesterday..I might revise it and put in a verse about you.

Come and say hello to me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/RETARDEDCOP

And you sir..what do you do?

Ps... would you like to buy a t-shirt?I accept paypal and ship worldwide

Last edited by Cosmic; 06-21-2012 at 01:49 PM.