Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 09-23-2011, 12:15 PM   #1
bloodbubble
Human being with feelings

Default Sample Rate Resampled - Version 4 - Project Settings

I have recently upgraded to Version 4.
In the projects that I recorded with version 3, the track files now show a little 'i' indicating when you hover over it that have been re-sampled from 44.1khz

I have not adjusted mt Edirol interface since installing, so it must be something in Reaper to cause this resampling.

So what has changed from version 3 to 4 to create this resampling?.
I have tried altering the sample rate in the top right hand corner via the 'project settings' but this dosen't change the 48khz shown rate in the top right corner.

1, Is it affecting the quality by resampling automatically like this??
2, how do you change the sample rate in the top right hand corner??
3, what has changed to do this from version 3 to 4??

Sorry bit long winded
Thanks Jason

Last edited by bloodbubble; 09-23-2011 at 02:01 PM.
bloodbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:47 PM   #2
Marah Mag

I've wondered about that too. (eg http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...ight=resampled)

So by way of a bump...

What I've been assuming is that v4 now indicates when a source file has been/is being resampled, while v3 did the same thing, but without any indication of such. Not sure if that's correct though.

Also not sure what the implications of resampling are for audio quality. But hopefully someone will chime in....
Marah Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:48 PM   #3
bloodbubble

chime in they didn't
Old 09-26-2011, 01:25 PM   #4
rictus

You need to change the sample rate in project settings and/or your interface's control panel.

Often when I use a new piece of software, or a new version, my audio interface settings will readjust themselves, so that's probably what happened.

Resampling causes degradation of your signal because it's an added round of processing.
rictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:11 AM   #5
bloodbubble

thanks, I managed to change my interface setting and after a complete reset/restart the audio files are no longer being resampled, they remain at 44.1khz.

would you say there is an advantage in recordinf at a higher rate...say 48khz?? or higher??

Thanks again..
Old 09-27-2011, 02:16 PM   #6
rictus

If you're mixing for CD, your end product will be 44.1. 48 will be slightly nicer-sounding, but that gets cancelled out by the degradation caused by resampling. So not worth the trouble.

However, lots of interfaces now offer 88.2 and 96 so that you can track at double sample rate and only downsample later, and some argue that this does result in better sound quality. I personally don't see the point, and rather go for a high bit depth. YMMV
Old 09-28-2011, 10:29 AM   #7
bloodbubble

thanks for info, much appraicated, yes my interface offers those higher sample rates..
sorry to bug you...but.....whats bit rate, where do I change and what bit rate do you use??

last question ...haha
Old 09-29-2011, 02:32 AM   #8
rictus

lol, no worries, ask away

Bit DEPTH, not RATE. Bit depth isn't set globally; you can mix and match within a session (unlike sampling rates). When people say '16 bit' or '24 bit', they're talking about bit depth. Just like how your sampling rate imposes frequency limitations, your bit depth imposes dynamic range limitations. CD audio is 16 bit. Each bit gives you 6 dB of dynamic range, so a 16-bit system has a 96 dB dynamic range, whereas 24-bit has a 144 dB dynamic range - huge difference! As far as I'm aware, no commercially-available interface actually has 144 dB of dynamic range - electronic component noise limits it to ~110 dB in good interfaces - so 24 bits allows you to utilise the full dynamic range of your interface.

Sometimes it's nice to track distorted guitars at 16 bits, though, for a miniscule touch of extra crunch
Old 09-29-2011, 03:57 AM   #9
rictus

Anyway, you set the bit depth in recording. In Project Settings you'll find the defaults, but I believe you can override it per-track.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:04 AM   #10
ngarjuna

The difference between 44.1 and 96k is measurable. It basically comes down to a very slight (if you try to null the same file at 44.1 and 96k we're talking differences registering as low as -80dB) attenuation of the highs when you use lower sample rates (as the slope of the nyquist filter intrudes on the 20KHz frequency range).

To me, that's not worth literally cutting your resources in half; you end up compensating for it as you mix and/or could easily replicate it with a careful filter placement at or above 20KHz.
ngarjuna is offline   Reply With Quote