Old 03-29-2016, 03:44 PM   #1
matthiasdg
Human being with feelings

Default Combining OSC and LTC sync

I tried using Reaper's OSC PLAY trigger to start synchronized playback in another application (playback of OSC tracks actually, in an OSC sequencer called oscseq). This seems to work quite well!

However, my next step was to use Reaper as an LTC slave, while still being able to sync the OSC sequencer with OSC control messages. What's the best way to do this? The problem is that I want to know when Reaper actually starts playing; in case of syncing to LTC the PLAY trigger appears to be sent when I press play in Reaper (which only starts the waiting for TC and not actual playback).

So is there another event I can use? I checked what is sent using Default.ReaperOSC but don't see anything like that immediately. I guess I could e.g. write some intermediary software that listens to the TIME event and checks if it's more or less equal to the project start time code?
For now, I used MASTER_VU; if I make sure there is some sound playing at the start, I can use this event to start playback in the other application. This has the advantage I don't need any intermediaries (repeated start messages are luckily ignored in the OSC sequencer) but I don't think it's a very clean solution...

Or is other software better suited to do this than Reaper? I need audio playback of multiple tracks to different ASIO outputs and synced OSC data. Or maybe I should use REAPER as the LTC master (but I have to check if this is possible since another party -doing synced video playback- is providing the LTC for now)? I noticed it's possible to generate a time code track
matthiasdg is offline   Reply With Quote