Old 12-16-2015, 10:37 PM   #1
dmoss74
Human being with feelings

Default can someone explain this? midi file import

i went to a site called freemidi, and downloaded a song. i was mainly looking for the drum track, and possibly the bass track, to import into reaper, and add my own other stuff to.

i imported the file, and had reaper do the track explosion thing (if that's the right term). there were other instruments, as well, but i went ahead and assigned addictive drums to the drum midi info. no problem there. there also happened to be a rhodes track, so i assigned that track to lounge lizard. again, so problem.

the problem started when i tried to assign the bass track to trillian. the midi file has notes all over it (like it should). when i tried to play the track with trillian assigned to it, i get no sound generated from the midi that is in the bass track.

what's even stranger is, if i add a new note in the track, it will play on playback, but every note that is in the midi file itself (as imported), does nothing. even if i hover the cursor over any of the pre-written stuff, and click on it, no sound is generated.

very odd. any clues?
dmoss74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 11:15 PM   #2
jrengmusic

change the bass note channel, usually to channel 1.

select all note, event properties, type 1 on channel

or, you can just set channel 0 (omni) to the midi notes to play the vsti sound on every channel (if you're not sure which channel vsti is using to play the sound with MIDI notes input).
jrengmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 11:34 AM   #3
dmoss74

thanks! the bass info was actually on channel 3, but that info steered me there. much appreciated.
dmoss74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 06:48 AM   #4
stof77

Hi there I just had the same problem with an import from a mid file created with protools,

Thanx a lot , it seems to be working, I have tested on one of the tracks with success and there is no reason why it wouldn't work on the others,

this was driving me nut.
stof77 is offline   Reply With Quote