Old 12-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #1
psingman
Human being with feelings

Default Sidechain with vocals revisited?

Lo, so if you want to have your new vocals sit better in a mix consisting of a a prerecorded stereo track with some vocals on it and some new added guitar tracks..how would you set up the compressor? Would it be on the main new vocals, with input being received from the main backing track and possibly the new guitar tracks, or would the compressor be on the main stereo track, for example, from an old CD recording, i.e. 3/4, going to aux L/R on appropriate choice?

I have been reading up on this method all weekend and cant seem to grasp which would be a better choice. I am sure a lot of studio guys are familiar with this when someone comes in with a stereo recording with some vocals and a singer wants to sing along with this and have their voice blend in fairly well with the instruments and vocals on the imported track.

If you can assist me with this mission, appreciate it but if you have other alternatives that might work to accomplish this,even better, TIA, psingman
psingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #2
psingman

Oh, forgot to mention, so if you have Reacomp or 5orcery..do you put the plug on the vocal channel or the stereo already recorded one. The placement is what I am trying to figure out. I have used it on bass-kick scenario but not on vocals to a trac.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:45 PM   #3
g4greg

Is the backing track "mastered" (read compressed to death, and the waveform looks like a line of toothpaste instead of a waveform)?

Because if it is, it's going to be really hard to sound "in the mix", since there is no headroom left

If there is headroom though, I would just process my vocals the normal way (whatever fits the song... usually some EQ, a compressor, and some form of verb), with effects on the track, and/or reverb on a vocal buss..

I would then add a very slight amount of compression (the most transparent one you have), or veeery short reverb to "glue" the vocals and the backing track together.

I'd slap that on the master bus, but you can also make a folder and slap it on there..

hope this helps
Old 12-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #4
psingman

Well, I have already done that on a few songs. I just want to know on which imput you would put the compressor plugin and then send the other to it. OK, thanks, psingman