Old 08-28-2015, 05:32 AM   #1
cupwise
Human being with feelings

Default issue with wet/dry knob

so i just suddenly got this weird behavior from reaper where if i try to adjust a wet/dry knob/control for a plugin, it instantly jumps from 0 to 100 with no in-between. i can try going very slowly and it still does it. only sometimes can i get some of the settings in between but then it eventually jumps all the way up or down.

seems like it started after i upgraded to 5, but i also recently updated to win10 so i'm not sure it's not somehow related to that.
cupwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:41 AM   #2
DarkStar

Hmm - two unknowns. Which one is it?

Reinstall v4.78 and see if it now occurs there. And is it on all plug-ins?
Old 08-28-2015, 05:53 AM   #3
cupwise

in my mind it seems like i had used reaper after switching to win10, and had no issues, until i updated reaper to 5. i cant be 100% on that though.

also i just noticed another thing, if i hold cntrl to fine-adjust sliders on the mixer, they shoot down really fast if i try to slowly pull them down.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:58 AM   #4
nicholas
Scribe

Bit of a long shot but ...

Try doing a portable install. If it doesn't happen there it looks like something a bit iffy in your config files ...

Oh, and you've checked that it doesn't happen on other controls? Unlikely but could be a physical issue with that mouse. You could try another ...

Last edited by nicholas; 08-28-2015 at 06:05 AM.
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:52 AM   #5
cupwise

mmm yeah good idea. to be honest, i also got a new mouse lately! i'll have to dig an old one out and report back. the weird thing is that it only seems to do it when your click-dragging something around, like a control or sliders. i wouldn't think the mouse itself could do that but what do i know!
Old 08-28-2015, 07:06 AM   #6
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupwise View Post
mmm yeah good idea. to be honest, i also got a new mouse lately! i'll have to dig an old one out and report back. the weird thing is that it only seems to do it when your click-dragging something around, like a control or sliders. i wouldn't think the mouse itself could do that but what do i know!
Like I said, I rate it unlikely, but something like this happened to me a few years back, with a wireless mouse. See how you go ..
Old 08-28-2015, 08:27 AM   #7
sostenuto

Noticed subtle but different mouse and keyboard behavior (not only Reaper) since Win Pro10 64-bit. All are Logitech & wired.
Updated to Insider Preview Build 10525 and same differences. No logical relationship to OP issues, just sayin ....
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:27 PM   #8
cupwise

ok so i found my old mouse, its wired usb. the new one is wireless logitech, this one is sharkk, wired through usb. it does the same thing.

now, to possibly add to the confusion, i've just discovered something similar in flstudio. if i go into the piano roll window there, and try to drag the slider for that window down, to see lower pitched notes, it shoots all the way down. dragging upward works normally.

makes it seem windows 10 related... this is so weird. guess i'm off to look at windows 10 mouse settings, see if there's any clue there.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:05 PM   #9
sostenuto

I was definitely implying that Win 10 precipitated the subtle, strange mouse behavior. Keyboard still not sure, but some strokes seems delayed and wrong letters when typing fast. Mouse will not activate some screens until after several clicks and this never happened before. Mouse settings checked and all as before. I'm guessing Logitech driver(s).
Old 08-28-2015, 02:54 PM   #10
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupwise View Post
makes it seem windows 10 related... this is so weird. guess i'm off to look at windows 10 mouse settings, see if there's any clue there.
The more I hear about Windows 10 ....
Old 08-28-2015, 03:10 PM   #11
sostenuto

yeah, and ... things are sure dynamic. Very recent Insider preview Update to Build 10525 and another one today to Build 10532. No disclosure so far as to what is impacted. I empathize with all you who must run a business and react immediately as the new OS evolves.

@ OP .... no issue with several VST and wet/dry adjustment/control/
PS ... none with Pan either

Last edited by sostenuto; 08-28-2015 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:22 PM   #12
dsp

nothing to do with your issue but the wet dry on all VSTs is one of the best ever features of reaper. I use it all the time it great for adding some grit or backing off an effect.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:26 PM   #13
Gerry P

see if this helps...

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...2&postcount=61
Old 08-28-2015, 06:17 PM   #14
bobobo

same issue here (jumping values when dragging dialknobs) (win10, reaper 4 and 5) whewn sizing is different from 100%

My workaround is to press Ctrl while dragging the knobs. Smaller steps but no jumping.
bobobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:24 PM   #15
richie43

I have Windows 10 and Reaper 5 on 2 machines and am not experiencing this at all. In fact, my experiences with Windows 10 in general have been very good with Reaper. I'd even go as far as saying better for me than 7 or 8. I got lucky?
Old 08-28-2015, 06:34 PM   #16
bobobo

i think, it will occur if the sizing is different from 100%.

would be nice if you could test this
bobobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:43 PM   #17
Gerry P

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
I have Windows 10 and Reaper 5 on 2 machines and am not experiencing this at all. In fact, my experiences with Windows 10 in general have been very good with Reaper. I'd even go as far as saying better for me than 7 or 8. I got lucky?
I also had this problem in Win8... but as I use a theme that uses faders only, the knob problem hasn't affected me really...
Old 08-28-2015, 06:49 PM   #18
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry P View Post
I also had this problem in Win8... but as I use a theme that uses faders only, the knob problem hasn't affected me really...
What theme makes even the wet/dry function on the fx window a slider??
Old 08-29-2015, 12:15 AM   #19
cupwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsp View Post
nothing to do with your issue but the wet dry on all VSTs is one of the best ever features of reaper. I use it all the time it great for adding some grit or backing off an effect.
yeah i agree, i use it all the time too. only thing i could think of as an improvement would be a simpler to handle, and more flexible, visual representation of the routing of channels in a track, as they go through the plugins. like if you could sort of have it set up like a modular synth kind of thing, where you can connect the channels to the ins and outs in any way you want, with wet/dry mix level controls and in/out gains everywhere. that's my dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry P View Post
hmm yeah my own research on google turned up some mentions about that resizing setting and i am definitely using it (set to 150%). then i found some registry entry you could put in (via reg files), that are related to it and are apparently made to disable mouse acceleration, and you have to pick a different .reg file to use depending on the resize setting you have (125%,150,200). i had tried that before i saw your post, and it SEEMS to have solved the problem.

as many variables as there are though, i can't be sure yet, so i'm going to experiment a bit more before i give my final word. they provided a .reg to go back to default so i'm going to mess around with that. it's a bit of pain because of having to log out and back on etc and i have some things running right now that i can't close.

Last edited by cupwise; 08-29-2015 at 02:10 AM.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:11 AM   #20
Gerry P

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
What theme makes even the wet/dry function on the fx window a slider??
I use the DarkPlastic Theme but you're right, the knob is still there in the fx window... but setting the Windows size setting to 100% allows the knob to function.

Last edited by Gerry P; 08-29-2015 at 10:34 AM.
Gerry P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:25 PM   #21
cupwise

OK, so like i said, i'm using the resize setting, set to 150%, and i found this page:
http://donewmouseaccel.blogspot.com/...ation-fix.html

it has the reg files i mentioned. obviously reg files are a use at your own risk kind of thing, so nobody can blame me if they use one of those and their computer explodes, but this worked for me and solved the problems i was having.

in fact, i just tested, and used the supplied reg file to set win10 back to the default setting for mouse acceleration, then reset my computer, and the issues in reaper and flstudio came back. it's not a subtle thing. those wet/dry knobs jump from 0 to 100 at a slight touch. you can go left to right to get the finer resolution, and if you go really slow it might work out a bit but eventually its going to jump all the way up or down. basically you can't use the control. same with sliders in flstudio.

so then i reapplied the appropriate reg file (for the 150% setting), and reset again, and the problem is solved in both.

i did nothing else between those reboots, so it seems that this definitely solves the problem i was having.