Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 05-26-2009, 11:26 AM   #1
riccol
Human being with feelings

Default When to high pass.... does it matter?

Does it matter in the final mix when you high pass a track?

I mean I can high pass with settings on the mic... and setting on the pre...
Or high pass/roll off the lows once the track it recorded.

If you can live with the lows while tracking it seems at least you would have the lows there if maybe you needed them.

Is there any real difference in the end?
Old 05-26-2009, 11:30 AM   #2
daverich

yes there is a difference.

Clearing that mud out can really make the difference between a mix that sounds clear and focused and one that just doesn't play nice.

You'd be amazed how much is cut out of vocals and guitars on some mixes, just leaving that bottom end to the bass and kick.

Kind regards

Dave Rich
daverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:44 AM   #3
longcipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverich View Post
yes there is a difference.

Clearing that mud out can really make the difference between a mix that sounds clear and focused and one that just doesn't play nice.

You'd be amazed how much is cut out of vocals and guitars on some mixes, just leaving that bottom end to the bass and kick.

Kind regards

Dave Rich
I'm curious - what's the highest frequency you've high passed to? I've taken it to 300 and felt guilty, but the track sounded good. Anyone else care to share some frequencies?
longcipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:54 AM   #4
nfpotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by riccol View Post

If you can live with the lows while tracking it seems at least you would have the lows there if maybe you needed them.

If there's ANY doubt that you might want to keep the lows, then track them. Doesn't matter if you end up taking them out in mix stage.
nfpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:57 AM   #5
_Devin

IMHO, everything but the bass and kick should be high-passed at it's own frequency, usually atleast 100-200hz, and I usually high-pass some or all of my hihats anywhere from 1000-5000hz. IMHO, IMHO, the bass and kick should not be high-passed, but perhaps just a 2-6dB cut with a low-shelf EQ.

There's a free VST plugin called Rubberfilter that's great for this.

AMD Phenom X4 9500 @ 2.2ghz, Gigabyte MA770-DS3, 4 x 1gb Corsair DDR2-800 CAS4(running CAS5 because raising DIMM voltage beyond JEDEC specs is teh suck), Samsung Spinpoint F1, M-Audio Audiophile 192, ATI Radeon 3400 GPU, and a beautiful Antec Earthwatts 430w PSU... and of course... the latest, greatest version of Reaper with a non-commercial license.
_Devin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:58 AM   #6
daverich

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfpotter View Post
If there's ANY doubt that you might want to keep the lows, then track them. Doesn't matter if you end up taking them out in mix stage.
Yeah I agree with this,- I wouldn't hi-pass on the input,- only with plugs.

Also,- sometimes with guitars I find a lo-shelf below about 200 and down about -6 db will keep the body there but shift some mud.

This really is all trial and error though as every audio will be different.

Kind regards

Dave Rich
Old 05-26-2009, 12:21 PM   #7
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longcipher View Post
I'm curious - what's the highest frequency you've high passed to? I've taken it to 300 and felt guilty, but the track sounded good. Anyone else care to share some frequencies?
I think it was Yep who said (in his excellent thread about why our recordings sound like donkey) that it may be a good approach to put in a high-pass and raise the cutoff until it sounds bad, then to just back off a little and leave it at that. I've tried this and it works for me. Haven't bothered to remember the freqs I end up at though, just let the ears do their work...
Old 05-26-2009, 12:39 PM   #8
Amberience

I'm tempted to say high-pass on anything that isn't a kick drum or a bass instrument.
Amberience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:43 PM   #9
Mr. Data

As Dave wrote:

It's all a matter of trial and error, 'cos every musical piece and every band is different.

-Data
Mr. Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:55 PM   #10
Chris_P_Critter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberience View Post
I'm tempted to say high-pass on anything that isn't a kick drum or a bass instrument.
If you said it, I would agree with you.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:57 PM   #11
Chris_P_Critter

Quote:
Originally Posted by riccol View Post

I explained this to a friend of mine the other day. The more you bass frequencies you add (or, the more you allow to remain via lack of HPF), the more crowded the sub / low to low mid frequencies get, and the more crowded these frequency spaces get the less clarity you'll have.

It's that simple.

It's like trying to hear one person, over 100 other people all yelling at the same time - get rid of the other people, and you won't have any problems hearing the person you're trying to hear.

Hopefully that analogy makes sense.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:00 PM   #12
kindafishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Devin View Post
IMHO, everything but the bass and kick should be high-passed at it's own frequency, usually atleast 100-200hz, and I usually high-pass some or all of my hihats anywhere from 1000-5000hz. IMHO, IMHO, the bass and kick should not be high-passed, but perhaps just a 2-6dB cut with a low-shelf EQ.

There's a free VST plugin called Rubberfilter that's great for this.
This might be a bit of a hijackish question, but why use one LP/HP filter over another? ReaEQ has both and I have been using it. Seems good.
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:16 PM   #13
_Devin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy View Post
This might be a bit of a hijackish question, but why use one LP/HP filter over another? ReaEQ has both and I have been using it. Seems good.
ReaEQ only has a 12dB/Octave-pole high-pass and low-pass, Rubberfilter has a knob that allows you to adjust the filter anywhere from 6dB/Octave all the way up to 360dB/Octave. The steeper high-pass allows you to completely cut out the muddy freqs below ~150hz without affecting the lower end of the midrange. Lower order filters affect frequencies above the cutoff, if you set a ReaEQ HP to 150hz, it may start rolling off as high as 1000hz. The term "cutoff" actually means the point that you hit -3dB of roll-off(in theory, not always in practice).

AMD Phenom X4 9500 @ 2.2ghz, Gigabyte MA770-DS3, 4 x 1gb Corsair DDR2-800 CAS4(running CAS5 because raising DIMM voltage beyond JEDEC specs is teh suck), Samsung Spinpoint F1, M-Audio Audiophile 192, ATI Radeon 3400 GPU, and a beautiful Antec Earthwatts 430w PSU... and of course... the latest, greatest version of Reaper with a non-commercial license.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:00 PM   #14
riccol

thanks for the input! I know the effects of taking out certain frequencies and it varies from track to track and project to project. What I was asking was "When" to adjust. During tracking on input, or afterwards. Thanks for the good answeres
Old 05-26-2009, 02:18 PM   #15
darjama

geez, am I the only one that high passes kick and bass? usually somewhere around 40Hz. My logic is that it helps focus the sound by not reproducing what most speakers don't articulate anyway.
darjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:21 PM   #16
Amberience

Quote:
Originally Posted by darjama View Post
geez, am I the only one that high passes kick and bass? usually somewhere around 40Hz. My logic is that it helps focus the sound by not reproducing what most speakers don't articulate anyway.
I usually take care of that with an EQ on the final output.
Amberience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:50 PM   #17
UncleAge

Quote:
No you're not the only one, I do it as well in a fair number of my mixes. But I never eq on input. I try to get all I can by using the best mic for the situation and then positioning it until I get about the sound I'm looking for. With that said I'd say that I'll shelf it quite a bit as well, especially if it is a sparse piece (1-3 instruments) where a HP might take away from the feel of the piece.

Either way it's never "one size fits all", IMO.
UncleAge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:07 PM   #18
_Devin

Quote:
It tends to suck the power right out the kick and bass(like I said earlier, "cutoff" is the -3dB point, the rolloff starts much higher than 40hz), if it really needs a cut, I'll do a 2-6dB Lowshelf cut at anywhere from 20-100hz. Are you using a sub to monitor?

Old 05-26-2009, 03:10 PM   #19
dub3000

Quote:
yeah, there isn't really anything useful happening down under 40hz, and it sucks up loads of mix headroom.
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:23 PM   #20
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub3000
yeah, there isn't really anything useful happening down under 40hz, and it sucks up loads of mix headroom
Depends on the tune, low B on a five string bass is about 30Hz.

I do agree however that most sytems don't get down this low with much efficiency.
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:37 PM   #21
dub3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
Depends on the tune, low B on a five string bass is about 30Hz.

I do agree however that most sytems don't get down this low with much efficiency.
most *bass amps* can't play back the low note on a 5-string. and most consumer-grade subs are tuned heavily to one tone (e.g. 50hz) so they're not going to be any help either.

the only way to get that to show up on any reasonable system is to add upper harmonics (e.g. distortion/enhancement)
Old 05-26-2009, 04:02 PM   #22
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub3000
most *bass amps* can't play back the low note on a 5-string. and most consumer-grade subs are tuned heavily to one tone (e.g. 50hz) so they're not going to be any help either.

the only way to get that to show up on any reasonable system is to add upper harmonics (e.g. distortion/enhancement)
Sadly, you are 100% correct. I've spent my entire life trying to get decent response in the lowest octave, and am totally familiar with the harmonic distortion / enhancement trick to fool the ear (I was a pro bass player for years).

Still there is no substitute for the feeling generated by that lowest octave.
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:59 PM   #23
dub3000

Quote:
totally, but yeah. even club systems start to give out around 50Hz.

...i'd love a nice pair of duntech sovereigns. 30Hz-20KHz +/- 2dB!
Old 05-26-2009, 05:11 PM   #24
geo242

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub3000 View Post
yeah, there isn't really anything useful happening down under 40hz, and it sucks up loads of mix headroom.
If I am doing the mastering on my tracks, I will usually start by rolling off everything from about 30hz and below due to the amount of headroom it can take up. If I am not doing the mastering, then that's the mastering guys problem.

I have noticed with 5 string bass, even though it can produce down to 30hz-ish, that isn't where the real bass energy is. You typically see a lot more energy coming from the 60-80hz range on the low notes.
geo242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:32 PM   #25
Jim Roseberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberience View Post
I'd suggest running a high-pass on the bass too.
Granted, it's set pretty low... but it carves out just a little more space for the kick (down in the deep sub-bass nether region).

If you aren't already using them, getting to grips with high-pass filters will do wonders for your mix.

There's no set frequency. Each track is different...
Use your ears. By listening in context, you'll know when you've rolled out too much of the body of an instrument/vocal.

Jim Roseberry
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com
Jim Roseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:54 PM   #26
nerdfactormax

Quote:
ReaEQ only has a 12dB/Octave-pole high-pass and low-pass, Rubberfilter has a knob that allows you to adjust the filter anywhere from 6dB/Octave all the way up to 360dB/Octave. The steeper high-pass allows you to completely cut out the muddy freqs below ~150hz without affecting the lower end of the midrange. Lower order filters affect frequencies above the cutoff, if you set a ReaEQ HP to 150hz, it may start rolling off as high as 1000hz. The term "cutoff" actually means the point that you hit -3dB of roll-off(in theory, not always in practice).
I was under the impression that steep slope filters produce un-natural artifacts. Anyone savvy on this subject?
nerdfactormax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:39 AM   #27
daverich

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdfactormax View Post
I was under the impression that steep slope filters produce un-natural artifacts. Anyone savvy on this subject?
in linear phase eqs they do,- otherwise a steep cutoff filter will cause an effect like ringing, but that's actually the human ear causing that, not the eq. (IIRC)

Kind regards

Dave Rich
Old 05-27-2009, 01:14 AM   #28
stupeT

Quote:

See Tory Amos' "welcome to sunny florida" DVD. She plays low on her grand and the five string bass is even lower. On proper monitors this gets extremely physical and touching. Just great. And no mud - though live.

I'd killed that engineer who hi-passed that at 40 Hz!!!
Old 05-27-2009, 04:09 AM   #29
Deltones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
I think it was Yep who said (in his excellent thread about why our recordings sound like donkey)
Would you have a link for this article?
Deltones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:18 AM   #30
kindafishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltones View Post
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=29283

In various places throughout this thread, you will find links to pdfs that contain an edited version of the whole thing.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:18 AM   #31
stupeT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltones View Post
Here is the thread:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...&highlight=ass

Its huge. Maybe look for smurf in that thread, he posted a PDF version of that.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:19 AM   #32
kindafishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupeT View Post
Here is the thread:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...&highlight=ass

Its huge. Maybe look for smurf in that thread, he posted a PDF version of that.
heh heh heh... you highlighted... 'ass'... heh heh heh
Old 05-27-2009, 04:24 AM   #33
stupeT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy View Post
heh heh heh... you highlighted... 'ass'... heh heh heh
Ooops. Home came?!?
Old 05-27-2009, 05:40 AM   #34
Evan

One approach I've used is to group tracks in categories (groups) and apply the HPF there. I would have some groups (right before the Master output) that would aid in frequency distribution. Assuming just a couple groups, one would be highpassed rather drastically... the other moderately.

So I'd send secondary and ambient sounds to the first group, and the more important instruments (excluding bass/kick drum/other low sounds) to the second. And I wouldn't worry about highpassing individual tracks in the mix.

I believe grouping is a better approach because you use fewer EQs, less filtering, less artifacts (and less CPU), and better frequancy image organization? That was my thinking, I await to be corrected.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:45 AM   #35
jamesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdfactormax View Post
If you try to skimp on the processing power required then they are more likely to produce ripples in the phase and frequency response going up an octave or two into the part of the sound that you want.

12dB per octave is fine for most high pass filtering in my opinion.

Cheers

James.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:24 AM   #36
darjama

Quote:
It tends to suck the power right out the kick and bass(like I said earlier, "cutoff" is the -3dB point, the rolloff starts much higher than 40hz), if it really needs a cut, I'll do a 2-6dB Lowshelf cut at anywhere from 20-100hz. Are you using a sub to monitor?
I don't use a subwoofer for mixing, though I test out mixes on my home system which does have one. And I don't use it all the time, only on bass and kick tracks where the amount of low frequency energy overwhelms the overtones you need to hear the stuff on speakers that aren't full range.
darjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:38 AM   #37
_Devin

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverich View Post
in linear phase eqs they do,- otherwise a steep cutoff filter will cause an effect like ringing, but that's actually the human ear causing that, not the eq. (IIRC)

Kind regards

Dave Rich
Low-pass filters do, but not high-pass. Linear phase LP filters effectively draw a high-pitched sine wave on steadily repeating waveforms, even though it's not reflected in the frequency response as being a peak. Contrary to popular opinion, the human ear does not perform FFT on an input signal, it goes more by periodicity of the waveform, hence you can still tell what note is being played, even if the fundamental frequency is missing.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:59 AM   #38
willowhaus

Quote:

Well, there is Ex-Lax...
willowhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:11 AM   #39
Chris_P_Critter

Interesting info from Andy Sneap, Rock and Metal producer extraordinaire.

http://noise101.wikidot.com/eq-guide
Old 05-27-2009, 10:15 AM   #40
sstillwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
I think it was Yep who said (in his excellent thread about why our recordings sound like donkey) that it may be a good approach to put in a high-pass and raise the cutoff until it sounds bad, then to just back off a little and leave it at that. I've tried this and it works for me. Haven't bothered to remember the freqs I end up at though, just let the ears do their work...
I read somewhere that Alan Parsons (Alan Parsons Project, Steely Dan, etc.) used a very similar technique with both high and low pass filters on nearly every track...move the filters up/down until they become obvious, then back them off just a touch. Cleans up a lot of mud, for sure.

Scott