Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 04-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
neastguy
Human being with feelings

Default apply fx to just a section of a track

or multiple tracks.. I highlight a section of a solo'd track and try to apply an effect, but it applies to the whole track.. any ideas
neastguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
Swamp Ape

My method: Go to preferences->Appearance->Media Items and check the No FX box in "Media Item Buttons." This will cause a little FX button to appear at the lower left of every item.

Split the item where you want to effect to begin and end. Click on the FX box and you can add effects to that specific item and not the whole track. You can cross-fade with other items to achieve smooth transitions.
Swamp Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
neastguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Ape View Post
My method: Go to preferences->Appearance->Media Items and check the No FX box in "Media Item Buttons." This will cause a little FX button to appear at the lower left of every item.

Split the item where you want to effect to begin and end. Click on the FX box and you can add effects to that specific item and not the whole track. You can cross-fade with other items to achieve smooth transitions.

great thanks.. that works.. but when I split , it splits all the tracks.. but I only have one highlighted... sorry for being such a noob...
neastguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
Swamp Ape

Do a time selection of the area you want to split, click to highlight it, and press shift+s to split it at the ends of the time selection.
Swamp Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
ngarjuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by neastguy View Post
great thanks.. that works.. but when I split , it splits all the tracks.. but I only have one highlighted... sorry for being such a noob...
I think you just need to select the item itself you want the split in (not the track that contains it). IIRC there's also a Prefs option not to split every track when you don't have an item selected (to avoid doing that accidentally).
ngarjuna is offline   Reply With Quote