Old 02-03-2016, 09:03 AM   #1
chuckerst
Human being with feelings

Default Windows 7 problem

Anybody know someone who is a whiz with Windows pc's that could give me remote help-I have constant skipping during playback-have tried ever tweak recommended-just started recently i5 processor with 16 gb ram-1TB s/s HDD--would gladly pay someone-ran latency monitor-says my system has problems but I'm not smart enough to know what to do with the results of that test.
chuckerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:26 AM   #2
Dr Bob

Hi,

Post the results here and someone will advise you. We're here to help.

dB
Dr Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:06 PM   #3
chuckerst

Is there a way to attach a screen shot here?
Old 02-03-2016, 03:19 PM   #4
Nystagmus

Default Research more DAW tweaks and optimizations.

You may want to take a full look at this and carefully implement some of these service changes. Don't do the barebones one, but the safe tweak should be OK:

http://www.blackviper.com/service-co...onfigurations/

After that, restart and test it out.
Also you may want to edit scheduled tasks; they are separate from services but work similarly. Sometimes they cause a bunch of unwanted internet or disk activity doing stuff that's just not important for DAW use. Search for Task Scheduler in the Control Panel or Administrative Tools.
Nystagmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:44 PM   #5
Dr Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckerst View Post
Is there a way to attach a screen shot here?
When you compose a reply message, scroll down for "Manage attachments" - you can then attach a image etc ...

dB
Dr Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:45 PM   #6
chuckerst

Reaper performance meter says I'm using 4.7% of my cpu---574 mb ram---16261mb free---fx 6.5%---latency monitor shows I need to disable cpu throttling which I've done---I have determined I have no problem until I add effects-all my plug ins are Slate-I use Trigger on the kick and the VNR rack-I only have recorded 10 tracks-eq and compression on several tracks-that's it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Latency5.jpg (58.6 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg Latency2.jpg (37.5 KB, 241 views)
Old 02-03-2016, 11:37 PM   #7
Mink99

What is your os ? 32 or 64 bit ?
So you have any FireWire devices in use ?

Latency mon always sais "CPU throttling ". Ignore that ...
Mink99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:14 AM   #8
chuckerst

Yes I use Firewire with a Focusrite Sapphire Pro 40-i have switched drivers per a suggestion-currently went back to the Texas Instrument driver-didn't help--My OS is 64 bit--i5 Haswell 3.4 Ghz processor --16 Gb RAM-750 Watt power supply--Windows 7 fresh install--as I said I have had no problem for two years and if I turn off effects plug ins completely the problem goes away. I only record 10 tracks-8 tracks with Slate plug ins 2 tracks with no plug ins-sooooo frustrating!

Last edited by chuckerst; 02-04-2016 at 06:21 AM.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:33 AM   #9
Gil Navarro

1. I do the Black Viper "Tweaked" settings. It's the middle one. I do one thing differently though, I don't disable "Windows Error Reporting".
2. Go to Control Panel, screen saver, power settings, and make sure it is set to the "Maximum Performance" setting.
3. I like to set the theme to Window Classic. It gets rid of the border padding.

This is how I prepare my machines for audio, and when it's done, my audio machines are dedicated and don't see the Internet. I also install an open office suite and a PDFs reader. It comes in handy sometimes.
Do you have imaging software? I use Acronis True Image but there are many to choose from. Here's how I use it:
1. Fresh Windows install and activated. Install all computer drivers. Do initial drive image.
2. Do all windows updates. Do incremental drive image.
3. Install your audio hardware and software. Do incremental drive image.
4. Do all Windows system tweaks. Do incremental drive image.

Now if you start having issues, or want to change out your hard drive, or just want to start fresh again, you can restore at from any of the above four locations. Takes a little time up front but saves a lot of time later. You can continue to do incremental images as often as you want or feel necessary which creates more restore point options.
Hope this helps.
Gil Navarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:42 AM   #10
Mink99

The latency monitor reports, that the problems are in the FireWire driver.
There actually had been problems with FireWire on Windows 7. See http://www.studio1productions.com/Ar...Firewire-1.htm

Of course you can do black viper magic on your PC too. Except that it won't help with your problem. Wild guessing and snakeoil ....

It is late in the evening, already dark. You see a man on the street crawling on the floor under the lantern. "Hey man what are you doing there ?" "I have lost my keys and now I am searching for them" "where did you lose your keys ?" "Over there" The man points to the other side of the road, where it is gruesome dark. "You ought to be looking over there ..." "No, there, I do not see a thing"

Last edited by Mink99; 02-04-2016 at 10:51 AM.
Mink99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:02 PM   #11
chuckerst

thanks to all-Mink99-I have tried the Legacy driver-even bought a new Firewire card-guess I'll try Navarro's suggestion and see what happens!