Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 01-29-2009, 10:04 AM   #1
barry_blink
Human being with feelings

Default hooking up JV 1080, Oxygen 49, with Reaper

Hello,
I've got a USB powered Oxygen 49 controller(whether the USB is relevant to my problem is for you guys to tell me haha)whose MIDI out is connected to the MIDI in of a Roland JV 1080 synth module. The JV 1080's MIDI out is connected to a 1x1 MIDI interface made by E-mu.

Under preferences/ MIDI Devices in Reaper, I have the following:

MIDI Inputs:
USB Oxygen 49 In: enabled
E-Mu XMIDI1X1 Midi In: enabled
MIDI Outputs:
Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth: enabled
USB Oxygen 49 Out: enabled
E-Mu XMIDI1X1 Midi Out: enabled.

If I set the MIDI input in a track to the Oxygen 49, it only records the MIDI data and not the sounds from my JV 1080. If I set the MIDI input of a track to the E-Mu interface I get no MIDI signal/recording.
Am I missing something setup-wise? Why doesn't Reaper recognize my Roland JV under MIDI devices in preferences? Is the USB powered controller interfering with the MIDI from my JV 1080? I apologize for the wordiness here but I've been struggling with this for a while now and I wanted to be as detailed as possible. Thanks for any advice you have to offer.

Barry
barry_blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:29 AM   #2
darjama

You can't record the audio output of the jv1080 via midi. You need to record it's audio output through your soundcard's audio input.

I'm not sure why the jv1080 isn't passing midi to your EMU midi interface, it's been a while since I've used mine. Try using the MIDI thru instead of the out.
darjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:08 PM   #3
winbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry_blink View Post
If I set the MIDI input in a track to the Oxygen 49, it only records the MIDI data and not the sounds from my JV 1080.
yes, the sounds of your JV 1080 can only be recorded if you plug some kind of audio (not midi) cable between it and your computer... If I understand well you only plugged midi cables ? So you only get MIDI data.

Quote:
Why doesn't Reaper recognize my Roland JV under MIDI devices in preferences?
the only real MIDI device plugged in the computer seems to be the EMU XMIDI, the JV is not connected to the PC. So the PC does not see your JV as an interface.
winbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:58 PM   #4
barry_blink

Quote:
Originally Posted by darjama View Post
I'm not sure why the jv1080 isn't passing midi to your EMU midi interface, it's been a while since I've used mine. Try using the MIDI thru instead of the out.
Midi thru was the solution. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbe View Post
yes, the sounds of your JV 1080 can only be recorded if you plug some kind of audio (not midi) cable between it and your computer... If I understand well you only plugged midi cables ? So you only get MIDI data.
Man, I thought I had a decent handle on this MIDI stuff after reading about it for about a month but I guess not. So I can only use the sounds in the synth recorded as audio. I kind of thought I could bring up, say, a bass patch, and transmit 'that' MIDI data into a sequencer and edit it there, but now it's slowly dawning on me that MIDI is only data, no matter what it sounds like going out. I just wish I hadn't dropped 30 bucks on the unnecessary MIDI interface. Oh well, thank you.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:24 PM   #5
moliere

You should hook up your MIDI keyboard to the in of your 1x1 interface, and the out of your 1x1 interface to the JV. Then hook up the audio outputs of your JV into an audio in into your comp.

Then you can record the midi (notes/timing data), and you can tweak that data in the sequencer, and whenever you play it, the output of the midi on the track can be routed to your midi out, which will trigger the JV and create the audio (which is routed into an audio track in Reaper). So you don't have to print your audio until you do a final render, you can tweak your midi to your hearts content, and alter the patches on your JV to get different sounds.

That seems to be what you were aiming for?
moliere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:17 AM   #6
winbe

Moliere did the exact answer I was about to write... but with a better English.

I had the same problem a while ago with my Yamaha PSR 630.
It was plugged both in MIDI and audio in my PC.

I was only recording and editing MIDI. When playing back a tune, the MIDI track was sent to my PSR whose audio was fed back in my soundcard.

It is only in the last step (rendering) that I also recorded the audio coming from PSR. Not very convenient, I found... so now I must admit I favor VSTi when I can !
winbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 07:19 AM   #7
johnnymegabyte

FUNNY & Related to the topic:
In 2002, when I first hooked up my Roland D-70 to my old SB PCI-128, I did not realize I was doing MIDI In and Out from both the soundcard and the synth.
The result: The horrible MIDI latency made a piano patch sound like Brian May effect, as multiple sounds were happening and being sent, receive, re-sent .... etc. I was getting D-70 sounds and MIDI sounds from the SB layering.
johnnymegabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:59 PM   #8
boka

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymegabyte View Post
FUNNY & Related to the topic:
In 2002, when I first hooked up my Roland D-70 to my old SB PCI-128, I did not realize I was doing MIDI In and Out from both the soundcard and the synth.
The result: The horrible MIDI latency made a piano patch sound like Brian May effect, as multiple sounds were happening and being sent, receive, re-sent .... etc. I was getting D-70 sounds and MIDI sounds from the SB layering.
hehhe the same happened here in in 1999 when I was 14 years old and tried to hook up my first synth (JV-1080) to my SB Live with its gameport midi...it is funny to remember back
/boka
Old 02-01-2009, 01:07 PM   #9
barry_blink

Quote:
Originally Posted by moliere View Post
You should hook up your MIDI keyboard to the in of your 1x1 interface, and the out of your 1x1 interface to the JV. Then hook up the audio outputs of your JV into an audio in into your comp.

Then you can record the midi (notes/timing data), and you can tweak that data in the sequencer, and whenever you play it, the output of the midi on the track can be routed to your midi out, which will trigger the JV and create the audio (which is routed into an audio track in Reaper). So you don't have to print your audio until you do a final render, you can tweak your midi to your hearts content, and alter the patches on your JV to get different sounds.

That seems to be what you were aiming for?
yes. Excellent. Thanks very much to you and everyone else here. Very nice folks in this n00b forum. I'll definitely be back.