Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-06-2014, 05:35 PM   #1
jonwormwood
Human being with feelings

Default A video on my bands IEM setup (REAPER controlling all of it!)

Not really doing anything innovative using reaper, just simple routing of clicks/wav's and MIDI program changes but maybe it interests some of you!

http://youtu.be/5cGxo-1j8iM
jonwormwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:05 PM   #2
Muzikman2008

That's a cool video, and studio ya got there, i especially liked the fridge :-) always nice to see how other bands work. Thanks for sharing.
Muzikman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:08 AM   #3
jonwormwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzikman2008 View Post
That's a cool video, and studio ya got there, i especially liked the fridge :-) always nice to see how other bands work. Thanks for sharing.
Yeah it's just out practice space but we enjoy it!
Old 01-07-2014, 11:29 AM   #4
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Man that is AWESOME!!! I'm working on this http://pipelineaudio.net/reaper-live/

A formula for reaper live setups. I will definitely be really looking into what youve done here
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:33 AM   #5
jonwormwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
Man that is AWESOME!!! I'm working on this http://pipelineaudio.net/reaper-live/

A formula for reaper live setups. I will definitely be really looking into what youve done here
Cool! We could probably combine both racks and only have one but then it becomes a bit too cumbersome. Who knows...

I'd really suggest getting a MBP and calling it a day. Or mac mini.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:52 AM   #6
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Whats an mbp?

I have a PC in the rack, and just use any old laptop for controlling the whole deal wherever I am
Old 01-07-2014, 11:56 AM   #7
jonwormwood

Quote:
Whats an mbp?

I have a PC in the rack, and just use any old laptop for controlling the whole deal wherever I am
Macbook Pro. Instant gratification.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:14 PM   #8
pipelineaudio
Mortal

What will it do for me? I just VNC into the main PC from any old laptop
Old 01-07-2014, 03:23 PM   #9
dadeisgone

Dude literally been working on almost the exact same setup for about the last 2 months!!! got our lights and dmxis, iems, wireless guitars and wireless mics(no cables!!), been waiting on pulling the trigger on the behringer rack contemplating just doing all the routing and processing through an interface, also working on trigger my drums, i use alot of the slate digital and ssd stuff when recording and have acoustic triggers so jsut though it would be less cables, we have even been contemplating our own PA to really be able to fine tune and also sound the same no matter where we are....anyways glad to know it all works!!!!!!
dadeisgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:43 PM   #10
jonwormwood

Quote:
What will it do for me? I just VNC into the main PC from any old laptop
I guess if it's working, don't fix it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadeisgone View Post
Dude literally been working on almost the exact same setup for about the last 2 months!!! got our lights and dmxis, iems, wireless guitars and wireless mics(no cables!!), been waiting on pulling the trigger on the behringer rack contemplating just doing all the routing and processing through an interface, also working on trigger my drums, i use alot of the slate digital and ssd stuff when recording and have acoustic triggers so jsut though it would be less cables, we have even been contemplating our own PA to really be able to fine tune and also sound the same no matter where we are....anyways glad to know it all works!!!!!!
Nice! This has been in the works for like 3 years now. We had the toms/kick triggered but it was giving us more and more problems (not sure if it was the triggers or the modules) so we went to mics, couldn't be happier.

I always wanted to stay away from processing through the computer. I know the x32 can still crash but I'll go with there's been a lot less issues with x32's crashing then computers crashing.

I really want to stream line our light show. I've got some ideas so it's only time...

We have 14 available XLR outputs (including the s16) so I'm going to be handing over pre-eq'd everything to FOH so hopefully sound is also consistent.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:44 PM   #11
Andy Hamm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwormwood View Post
I really want to stream line our light show. I've got some ideas so it's only time...

We have 14 available XLR outputs (including the s16) so I'm going to be handing over pre-eq'd everything to FOH so hopefully sound is also consistent.
Q Light Plus

I just bought an LED light show and started using that with an Enntec USB dongle, it worked great even with just a NanoPad2 and a NanoKontrol2 as the lighting control interfaces.

I've been doing live sound with Reaper for quite some time now, I have 3 Mix Racks and I also have access to 4 or 5 x32's. I prefer my mixracks over the x32's, but if they are in place at a house gig I just mix on the x32.
Andy Hamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:52 PM   #12
jonwormwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Hamm View Post
Q Light Plus

I just bought an LED light show and started using that with an Enntec USB dongle, it worked great even with just a NanoPad2 and a NanoKontrol2 as the lighting control interfaces.

I've been doing live sound with Reaper for quite some time now, I have 3 Mix Racks and I also have access to 4 or 5 x32's. I prefer my mixracks over the x32's, but if they are in place at a house gig I just mix on the x32.
Nice! Lots of features for being free. I use Enntec's DMXIS and included software. For us, it's the fastest most reliable way to program lights.

Mix Rack probably destroys the x32. But for the price and size (for the x32 rack) I don't think it can be beat. For an IEM mix!
Old 01-08-2014, 01:25 AM   #13
punkrockacademyfightsong

Nice video and nice setup!

We do something similar with my band. Reaper for click and backing tracks (just some acoustic guitars in choruses and some samples). We use a mackie 1640i which is hooked up to an MBP through a 10m FireWire cable.
The mixer is mounted in a rack together with a 16 channel split, 4 channels of compression and all our IE stuff.

Just one question: how did you get reaper to show the song titles so large? That's something I've been missing in our setup.
punkrockacademyfightsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:58 AM   #14
jonwormwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrockacademyfightsong View Post
Nice video and nice setup!

We do something similar with my band. Reaper for click and backing tracks (just some acoustic guitars in choruses and some samples). We use a mackie 1640i which is hooked up to an MBP through a 10m FireWire cable.
The mixer is mounted in a rack together with a 16 channel split, 4 channels of compression and all our IE stuff.

Just one question: how did you get reaper to show the song titles so large? That's something I've been missing in our setup.
Inset empty item> load jpg and check stretch to fit
Old 01-08-2014, 08:05 AM   #15
punkrockacademyfightsong

Quote:
Inset empty item> load jpg and check stretch to fit
Thanks!
punkrockacademyfightsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:39 AM   #16
Xane002

Quote:
Not really doing anything innovative using reaper, just simple routing of clicks/wav's and MIDI program changes but maybe it interests some of you!

http://youtu.be/5cGxo-1j8iM
Very cool...but very complex setup!

You've got me thinking about revamping my own system.

Currently, I use Reaper as the IEM mixer through a Presonus FP10. We mix in guitars, vocals, bass, and keys (being a VST internal to Reaper) and then augment the last input with drums from either our own practice mixer, or from the house PA foldback. I use a MBP as well with OSC (I also have a WiFi router in my rack) controlled with my iPad but with additional OSC clients on the other guys' phones/ipads. They can mix their own IEM using sends in Reaper.

Of course, we're pretty much mixing and listening in mono, and limited by only 8 ins and outs, so after seeing what you have set up, I'm thinking of how to improve my setup...damn you!!!!

Thanks, Jon - very inspirational! Good luck with your music!
Xane002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:05 AM   #17
jonwormwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xane002 View Post
Very cool...but very complex setup!

You've got me thinking about revamping my own system.

Currently, I use Reaper as the IEM mixer through a Presonus FP10. We mix in guitars, vocals, bass, and keys (being a VST internal to Reaper) and then augment the last input with drums from either our own practice mixer, or from the house PA foldback. I use a MBP as well with OSC (I also have a WiFi router in my rack) controlled with my iPad but with additional OSC clients on the other guys' phones/ipads. They can mix their own IEM using sends in Reaper.

Of course, we're pretty much mixing and listening in mono, and limited by only 8 ins and outs, so after seeing what you have set up, I'm thinking of how to improve my setup...damn you!!!!

Thanks, Jon - very inspirational! Good luck with your music!
Sounds a bit like our first real version of the system. We monitored through Reaper then I got a motu 828mk3 and then used that for all the mixing + OSC control. It was nice but ran out of DSP fast. x32 beats it hands down

It really isn't too complicated (but then again I've been working on it for 3 years or so..)

ins > mixer > iems

I'll be implementing d-sub connection to connect both racks and small break out box for the drum mics. Then another mile stone will be automating x32 via OSC from reaper. For example automating vocal delays to the FOH.

15 min setup, 5-10 break down