Old 03-20-2017, 02:40 PM   #1
ReaperMadness
Human being with feelings

Default Couple of Questions About Adding RAM

Couple questions about RAM:

1.) I'm looking at EW Quantum Leap Software that lists "Min. requirement - 8 GB ram".

I've got 6GB. What happens if I'm short on RAM (it's just me recording one track at a time).

2.) My PC will only take 8GB max ram. It's only got two(2) slots, and the max. supported is 8GB. Currently it's got installed just one 2GB and 1 4GB. It's DDR3 SDRAM, 240 pin, 1333MHz.

For me to max-out at 8 GB, can I buy just one 4GB and switch it out with the existing 2GB, or is there a need to buy a "matched set" of two(2) 4GB?

Any help for this ol' geezer appreciated.

New Music: = Mourning Marrs =
ReaperMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:25 PM   #2
EvilDragon

You should buy a matched set of 2x4 GB if at all possible. Or alternatively, get the exact same 4 GB module you already have (if it still can be purchased).
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:37 PM   #3
ReaperMadness

Thanks for getting back on this.

Quote:
... if it can still be purchased.
Yeah, I hear ya'. When I did a quick search at Newegg, everything w/ my specs said "refurbished."

When you say "exact same 4GB module", are we talking exact specs, or same brand & all? Because so far, I've found a Dell module with the same general specs. Do you mean to look inside and match brand and everything else I can find printed on it?

Old 03-20-2017, 03:39 PM   #4
EvilDragon

When I say exact, I mean exact.

Find out the model number (there are programs that gather system info that will help you out with this, I use SIW, System Info for Windows, which used to have a free version, now it's discontinued, but Google around and you'll find it), and then Google that model number, see where it's available, purchase. Done.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:44 PM   #5
ReaperMadness

Cool.

Thanks a lot, Ed.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:51 PM   #6
Softsynth

An exact match is ideal. However you can mix and match modules, if this is not obtainable.
To take the guess work out you could use something like Crucial Memory. They have a program that will scan your PC and offer fully compatible modules for your system.
If you mix and match modules the system will run all of them at the rate of the slowest module.
I do use 4 x matched modules at this time. In the past I have run systems with non matched modules, though matching pair modules in dual channel mode.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:55 PM   #7
ReaperMadness

Done. I dl'd SIW and found that it's Samsung, plus the model number. But I suppose that's the easy part. If I can find a match, great. But I'm going to pursue Softsynth's suggestion, too. Thanks, all. I'll let ya' know.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:58 PM   #8
mykrobinson

you can go to www.crucial.com and get a scan of your PC, it'll tell you for sure what's compatible with your motherboard if you're not comfortable with mixing and matching. Their prices are sometimes higher, but at least they'll give you good information and definite specs to search for elsewhere.
mykrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:59 PM   #9
avocadomix

Depending on your system, you may or may not need RAM with specific latency (aka CL).
Some systems are sensitive to this (some macs, some lenovo), others are not.

Easiest way to make sure you get compatible RAM is to look at the currently installed modules - usually there is a sticker saying something like "11-11-11-9". AFAIK the first figure is the important one.
avocadomix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:00 PM   #10
sKJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperMadness View Post
Couple questions about RAM:

1.) I'm looking at EW Quantum Leap Software that lists "Min. requirement - 8 GB ram".

I've got 6GB. What happens if I'm short on RAM (it's just me recording one track at a time).

2.) My PC will only take 8GB max ram. It's only got two(2) slots, and the max. supported is 8GB. Currently it's got installed just one 2GB and 1 4GB. It's DDR3 SDRAM, 240 pin, 1333MHz.

For me to max-out at 8 GB, can I buy just one 4GB and switch it out with the existing 2GB, or is there a need to buy a "matched set" of two(2) 4GB?

Any help for this ol' geezer appreciated.

Same brand, same production run, same model, same speed, same build and you should be fine. You don't have to buy a "matched set" all at once, if that's what you're asking. You may encounter some issues if these standards are not met, but truthfully, I've mismatched RAM in my early days of building my own rigs and I've never had a catastrophic meltdown or anything because of it. However, for maximum performance and to eliminate any potential issues, the above standards should be fulfilled.
sKJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:00 PM   #11
karbomusic

Minimum of 8GB and installing 8GB is already on the borderline FYI.

Quote:
I've never had a catastrophic meltdown or anything because of it.
You ^wouldn't have that per se, either it just won't work/boot or what could happen is unexplained crashes etc. We can always take the chance but the risk exists.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:04 PM   #12
ReaperMadness

Well THAT's weird. I found two at Newegg. The refurbished one is $157.95 - And the new one is $24.99.

Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_3.png (33.6 KB, 389 views)

Last edited by ReaperMadness; 03-20-2017 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:05 PM   #13
sKJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post

You ^wouldn't have that per se, either it just won't work/boot or what could happen is unexplained crashes etc. We can always take the chance but the risk exists.

It was simply for lack of an in-depth explanation. If any further clarification is needed, OP may ask freely, of course.
sKJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:08 PM   #14
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sKJF View Post
It was simply for lack of an in-depth explanation. If any further clarification is needed, OP may ask freely, of course.
Just mentioning because I've been bitten a few times with mixed RAM, it may work just fine.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:19 PM   #15
ReaperMadness

I appreciate the discussion. Thanks.

What kind of things may happen w/ the E/W software if it gets RAM hungry?

Old 03-20-2017, 04:23 PM   #16
karbomusic

Quote:

My only concern was the term "minimum", that usually means "it will load but we don't know how far you can push it beyond that". It may be just fine but minimum is often literally that.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:32 PM   #17
Reason

Quote:

It'll probably crash, and/or your OS will give you warnings about low RAM availability.

Regarding the two different prices, the higher one is likely to be the "failed to shop around", similar to how some items on Amazon will sell in "two-packs" for 4x the price of two singles, because some people will just click Add to Cart.

I was always told that matching RAM is only necessary for running it in dual channel mode, which gives a slight benefit in benchmarks. I don't think I've had any issues with mismatching RAM since the SD133 days, but ymmv. If it were me, I'd just buy a second 4GB DIMM to replace the 2GB DIMM.
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:09 PM   #18
avocadomix

Sometimes official specs/constraints do not match the real life. I'd suggest you google your computer model and "max ram" - you may find out people are successfully using it with 16GB (or not).
avocadomix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:11 PM   #19
EvilDragon

Yeah, what's your motherboard model?
Old 03-20-2017, 06:24 PM   #20
ReaperMadness

Ohh Boy..... This is getting in over my head.

Does this do you any good?

Attached Images
File Type: png Motherboard II.png (37.9 KB, 456 views)

Old 03-21-2017, 07:59 AM   #21
Reason

Perfect. I googled "0gdg8y max ram" and came up with a few results that corroborate what you see in the manual and in SIW: max is 8GB.

Having said that, the chipset (Intel H61) supports up to 16GB, so it's contheevable, but multiple other sources say 8GB, so if it were my money I would not make that bet. You could abuse Newegg or Amazon's return policies and try a pair of 16GB DIMMs, but you'd probably have to pay restocking, return shipping, and time wasted if they don't work.

If it were me, and I was not going to upgrade the whole PC at this time, I'd get the $25 stick of RAM you listed below.
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:53 AM   #22
ReaperMadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason View Post
Perfect. I googled "0gdg8y max ram" and came up with a few results that corroborate what you see in the manual and in SIW: max is 8GB.

Having said that, the chipset (Intel H61) supports up to 16GB, so it's contheevable, but multiple other sources say 8GB, so if it were my money I would not make that bet. You could abuse Newegg or Amazon's return policies and try a pair of 16GB DIMMs, but you'd probably have to pay restocking, return shipping, and time wasted if they don't work.

If it were me, and I was not going to upgrade the whole PC at this time, I'd get the $25 stick of RAM you listed below.
Done. Should be here in a few days. Thanks.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:19 PM   #23
ivansc

FWIW rather than pull an item from the online catalogue many vendors just put a stupid high price on out of stock items rather than having too reinsert the graphics & text once it is back in stock.

Hence the occasional $5 item advertised for $1000 on ebay too.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:25 PM   #24
peter5992

Quote:

On EW, depending on exactly which library you are looking at -- some are easier on RAM, but e.g. Hollywood Strings can eat RAM for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Max out on your RAM, 8 GB is on the low side but it may work.

The specs of your motherboard may have a limit, but that's not always the absolute limit --- for example, my laptop mobo has a 12 GB stated limit but I have 24 GB of RAM installed.

24 GB is enough for me now, but it's low by current standards for film composers - I know a guy who has 128 GB of RAM in his mac pro (and 12 cores, and dedicated video cards, and he still can't run a video from Cubase - go figure).

One tip for installation, especially if it is dry where you are: STATIC ELECTRICITY KILLS -- make sure you are grounded, disconnect power and battery, and be careful - do not use force to insert the RAM.
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:55 PM   #25
ReaperMadness

I've replaced enough bits & pieces over the years to be wary & careful regarding static electricity & grounding... but "disconnect battery"!?!!?? Good thought - but this is a desktop. So unless there's something else that I don't comprehend, should be no worries there.

Old 03-21-2017, 04:58 PM   #26
Gerry G

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter5992 View Post
- do not use force to insert the RAM.
Sounds like the days I spent in the sheep yards and shearing sheds in saltbush country hyuk hyuk.

But more seriously this is an interesting hardware discussion and read with wider interest by those of us who upgrade occasionally. Ram compatibility used to be about stopping them head butting each other to death.?
Gerry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:23 PM   #27
ReaperMadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry G View Post
Sounds like the days I spent in the sheep yards and shearing sheds in saltbush country hyuk hyuk.

But more seriously this is an interesting hardware discussion and read with wider interest by those of us who upgrade occasionally. Ram compatibility used to be about stopping them head butting each other to death.?
I'm an Aries. I won't have any problem getting them interested enough to insert themselves.

Wait... that doesn't sound right.