Old 02-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #1
SteveHere
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI Programming. Need MIDI OX/Yoke?

Hello,

I have a MIDI programming question.

I have searched quite a bit and saw a wish list that includes what I am looking for but did not see info showing that it is possible. I apologize if I missed something and this question is redundant.

I am using an external scripting language to send MIDI event messages to Reaper using MIDI OX/YOKE as the link between the two. In the scripting language I create the MIDI OX scripting object (MIDIOX.MOXScript) and use its functions to send note on/off messages to Reaper (basically using Reaper as a VST host). It works.

My question is do I need MIDI OX/Yoke? Does Reaper have externally accessible API functionality - meaning could I send MIDI event messages by calling Reapers API via code without an intermediary app like MIDI OX/Yoke?

If this is possible and you could include some example code (e.g. VBScript, etc) that would be helpful.

Thank you very much to anyone that can help.
SteveHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:59 PM   #2
Amazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHere View Post
Hello,

I have a MIDI programming question.

I have searched quite a bit and saw a wish list that includes what I am looking for but did not see info showing that it is possible. I apologize if I missed something and this question is redundant.

I am using an external scripting language to send MIDI event messages to Reaper using MIDI OX/YOKE as the link between the two. In the scripting language I create the MIDI OX scripting object (MIDIOX.MOXScript) and use its functions to send note on/off messages to Reaper (basically using Reaper as a VST host). It works.

My question is do I need MIDI OX/Yoke? Does Reaper have externally accessible API functionality - meaning could I send MIDI event messages by calling Reapers API via code without an intermediary app like MIDI OX/Yoke?

If this is possible and you could include some example code (e.g. VBScript, etc) that would be helpful.

Thank you very much to anyone that can help.
Google virtual midi cable. There's a few products along this line. Essentially they create a software midi in and out port. They take the form of a driver. You install them once and then you can read and write to them in software and your daw can input and output to them. They appear as any other standard midi device.
Amazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #3
SteveHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazed View Post
Google virtual midi cable. There's a few products along this line. Essentially they create a software midi in and out port. They take the form of a driver. You install them once and then you can read and write to them in software and your daw can input and output to them. They appear as any other standard midi device.
Hi Amazed, Thanks for your response.

My question is:
Can I access Reaper directly via code (send note on/off messages) and not need something between. Does Reaper itself have some sort of API COM object I can instantiate via code to send it MIDI messages - mapping capability that already comes with it?

Using a virtual MIDI cable would do exactly what MIDI OX/Yoke is doing for me now. It works so swapping one for the other wouldn't resolve my question.

I tried LoopBe1 (free virtual MIDI cable) but Reaper didn't seem to see it.

The intention behind my question is to simplify things: Code --> Reaper instead of code --> [intermediate MIDI mapper] --> Reaper. Have one less thing to install and setup.

Thanks
SteveHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
IXix

I don't think the REAPER API supports creating MIDI events (you could always ask for it, the Devs are very nice) but you can generate MIDI directly in REAPER using Jesusonic, which may or may not be useful to you.
IXix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #5
Amazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHere View Post
Hi Amazed, Thanks for your response.

My question is:
Can I access Reaper directly via code (send note on/off messages) and not need something between. Does Reaper itself have some sort of API COM object I can instantiate via code to send it MIDI messages - mapping capability that already comes with it?

Using a virtual MIDI cable would do exactly what MIDI OX/Yoke is doing for me now. It works so swapping one for the other wouldn't resolve my question.

I tried LoopBe1 (free virtual MIDI cable) but Reaper didn't seem to see it.

The intention behind my question is to simplify things: Code --> Reaper instead of code --> [intermediate MIDI mapper] --> Reaper. Have one less thing to install and setup.

Thanks
Reaper does have API Provision. You can create yourself a dll which reaper binds at runtime which will give you internal exposure to reaper. You can then bind this into some other external application which you write. But. I think you're doing it hard. I think i've given you a pretty simple solution. Think about it.
Amazed is offline   Reply With Quote