Old 04-21-2016, 12:16 PM   #1
NextLevel
Human being with feelings

Default SlowPlayRate Bug(s)

Devs,

First part of bug:
When I set the psminv= to 0.00050000 in reaper.ini and then also set REAPER's PlayRate to the same and start playback from 0:00.000 the start time jumps to
-0:00.038 then it takes a few seconds before the playcursor shows up.

Second part of bug:
If you notice in the licecap, the fader is moving before the playcursor and when the playcursor becomes visable it jumps ahead to about 0:00.006 and as it loops you'll notice the envelope slider is not in sync with what is drawn in the lane.

--------^^^--------The above issue has been fixed--------^^^-------- as of v5.20beta6--------

Here is another little inconsistency:
In this licecap I'm using alt/shift/ctrl/shift+ctrl each with a single mousewheel up/down click first over the fader then over the value field. The expected behavior for the fader should be that of the value field.

Justin,

I sent you a pm back in December that listed some other issues related to the psminv and psmaxv settings of the reaper.ini. If you did'nt get it or can't find it, I can resend it?

It would be so awesome if these issues could be fixed. If any of this needs clarifying or you need any more info please let me know.

Thank you

Last edited by NextLevel; 04-27-2016 at 03:25 AM.
NextLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 12:56 PM   #2
Dstruct

Which REAPER version?
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 01:10 PM   #3
NextLevel

The latest beta, on Windows Vista
Old 04-21-2016, 05:02 PM   #4
ivansc

O.P.: Just being nosey, but WHY are you playing stuff back at 0.0005 of normal playrate in the first place? Seems like an odd thing to do, so I would love an explanation.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:28 AM   #5
NextLevel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
WHY are you playing stuff back at 0.0005 of normal playrate in the first place?
Sound design, alot of vst/vsti's sync parts of their algorithms to the playrate. I also use playrates in the 100's or even 1000's range. Some pretty cool sounds can be found in this way. Then I record short snippets of these sounds and load them into a sampler and use them as instruments.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:48 AM   #6
ivansc

Aha! Thanks for the explanation.
You learn something new every day - even at my age!
Old 04-22-2016, 06:00 AM   #7
Justin
Administrator

I have some fixes for these in the works, but they are in a section of code that I hesitate to touch much, so they will come after 5.20.

In the interim: you can disable "use audio driver reported latency" in preferences/recording, and make sure the latency values are all set to 0, and it should behave more like you expect.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:07 AM   #8
NextLevel

Great news, thank you so much Justin.

I can imagine that section of code can be tricky to deal with, just because so much else relies on it and making changes could cause problems to arise in other areas, let's hope that is not the case. Anyway, when the fixes arrive I'll be sure to test really well and let you know if I discover any issues.

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2016, 01:51 PM   #9
NextLevel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextLevel View Post
Devs,

Here is another little inconsistency:
In this licecap I'm using alt/shift/ctrl/shift+ctrl each with a single mousewheel up/down click first over the fader then over the value field. The expected behavior for the fader should be that of the value field.

Justin,

I sent you a pm back in December that listed some other issues related to the psminv and psmaxv settings of the reaper.ini. If you did'nt get it or can't find it, I can resend it?

It would be so awesome if these issues could be fixed. If any of this needs clarifying or you need any more info please let me know.

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I have some fixes for these in the works, but they are in a section of code that I hesitate to touch much, so they will come after 5.20.

Justin,

Are these fixes still forthcoming?

I just ran into another roadblock, I was planning on writing a script that would open a gui showing the PlayRate and BPM of each currently open project tab and allow adjusting of each one without having to switch tabs. Looking through the api I don't see anyway of accomplishing this. Would you be willing to add Get/Set_Project_PlayRate() & Get/Set_Project_BPM()?

Thank You
Old 10-12-2016, 07:23 PM   #10
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Are these fixes still forthcoming?
They are in 5.21+

Quote:
I just ran into another roadblock, I was planning on writing a script that would open a gui showing the PlayRate and BPM of each currently open project tab and allow adjusting of each one without having to switch tabs. Looking through the api I don't see anyway of accomplishing this. Would you be willing to add Get/Set_Project_PlayRate() & Get/Set_Project_BPM()?
Let me look at that
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:06 PM   #11
NextLevel

Quote:
They are in 5.21+

I know the two issues that I listed as "First part of bug" & "Second part of bug" in the first post of this thread have been fixed, however the one in the lice cap of the PlayRate slider regarding the mousewheel is still present.

The other issues, in that pm I mentioned are also still present as of 5.27pre2.
Here is a copy of that pm just in case.

"I often use the master playrate as a sound creation tool and while hacking around the reaper.ini discovered that it's possible to set the playrate to much higher/slower rates than reaper defaults to. I found that I can get some really interesting sounds out of various VST/VSTi using playrates in the 10's, 100's or even 1000's range.

Now, on to the issue(s), listed in order of importance.

So what I fist do is either hack the reaper.ini or a project file and change the PLAYRATE entry to 100 for example. Then when I open the project the playrate slider range goes upto 100, but...

1) When using OSC message /playrate/raw and sending a value above 4.0 it results in the playrate being set to 4.0. Sending a value below 0.25 results in playrate being set to 0.25.

2) When entering rates into the playrate text box, anything above 10.0 seems to audibly start over from 1.0.., so (11.0 = 1.0, 12.0 = 2.0, etc.) However, using the playrate slider results in the correct audible outcome.

So you know how you can right click the slider and select different ranges?
Well what would be awesome is if there was an option in this dropdown titled "Custom" which sets the range and rate of change based on what the user sets it to in either the reaper.ini or project file. What I refer to as "rate of change" would be the amount that the value increases/decreases by with each mousewheel click or when dragging the slider.

3) There are issues with the master playrate envelope aswell.
You can manually edit a project file to have envelope rates above 4.0,
but visually the envelope is not correct and adjusting a point that is above 4.0 results in it being set to 4.0."

Last edited by NextLevel; 10-12-2016 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:08 PM   #12
NextLevel

Quote:
Let me look at that
Thank you
Old 03-04-2017, 12:44 AM   #13
NextLevel

Quote:
Justin,

Thank You
Quote:

Let me look at that
Was just wondering if you ever looked into it?
I've got my script ready to go, was just hoping that you'd be able to add the requested api.

If you do add those to the api could you please allow for PlayRates in the range of 0.0005 for the low end and maybe somewhere between 1,000-10,000 for the high end? It would definitely put a huge one of these on my face.

Thank you
Old 05-30-2017, 06:19 AM   #14
NextLevel

bump
Old 06-02-2017, 10:47 AM   #15
NextLevel

Justin,

Sorry to be so persistent, but I could really use API commands for setting the playrate and tempo of a specific loaded project.

We already have Master_GetPlayRate(ReaProject project).
What I would like is Master_SetPlayRate(ReaProject project)
as well as these two;
Master_GetTempo(ReaProject project)
Master_SetTempo(ReaProject project)

You said you would look into this back in October, so I was wondering if these are going to be added to the API or not?

Thank you