Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 12-28-2011, 06:30 PM   #81
Steven Slate
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post
Am I S.O.L. if I don't have a receipt for AD as a competitive upgrade?
Absolutely not Chip, email me at slate@stevenslate.com and we'll figure something out.

Cheers,
Steven
Steven Slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:51 AM   #82
macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Macman you have almost the same system I had until last year & I was running the KOntakt version of SSD3.5 with 2gb of ram.

As far as I can see I am getting lower cpu hit with SSD4 so I would assume you will be fine, but why not go on the SSD website and ask?

thanks Ivansc,
It is installed and working fine and indeed I think you are correct it is taking less of CPU hit that kontakt.

Still getting to grips with SSD4 but i think at cheap entry price was well worth the purchase.

thanks!
macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:07 AM   #83
HOFX

I watched the video on SSD 4 on the website. I thought Slate was going trying to fight me through the screen.

Anyway, can anyone tell me how SSDv4 is better than BFD2?
HOFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:27 PM   #84
Steven Slate

Hi HOFX. After a long day of shooting, I tend to get a bit stiff! Next video I'm gonna drink a Scotch before we hit record.

As for your question.. BFD2 is a great drum software. Its impossible for anyone to say what is better for you, since these things are so subjective.

However, I can say that my goal with SSD4 as a competing product was to simply offer more quality sounds than any other drum instrument in an interface that is extremely easy to use.

BFD2 ships with 11 kicks and 16 snares. In comparison, SSD4 platinum ships with 66 snares and 50 kicks. SSD4 also has a brushes jazz kit and 5 radio ready dance/urban/electro kits. Last, it has over 40 kits that were recorded to two in tape and are preprocessed. In total, SSD Plat has 100 preset kits in every genre from reggae to funk to country to metal and just about everything in between.

At the end of the day, you can make great drum tracks with BFD2, Superior, Addictive, Oceanway.. there is no doubt. But with SSD4 I wanted to make a package that someone could use in a pro studio and have great sounds, great versatility, and the ability to have any type of drum sound they could imagine for their particular song.

My email is slate@stevenslate.com if anyone has any questions. I'm also here to answer any specific questions about the instrument. I am a Reaper user now as well, and to stay on forum topic, I can answer any SSD4 to Reaper questions too.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 12-30-2011, 03:34 AM   #85
HOFX

Steven, thanks for the time to reply.

I've done a bit more reading. The SSDv4 GUI looks very good, well thought out and some nifty ideas there. One thing that struck me about the audio demos was the realism of the hi-hats, well done on that part.

I'm very happy with BFD2, but the SSDv4 deluxe kits here make me think...

So, to get this right, if I qualify for a BFD2 crossgrade, I will get it for $299 - $149 = $50!?! Is this correct? Will I need an iLok?
HOFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:36 AM   #86
paterpeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOFX View Post
So, to get this right, if I qualify for a BFD2 crossgrade, I will get it for $299 - $149 = $50!?! Is this correct? Will I need an iLok?
First question: $299 - $149 is not $50 The crossgrade discount is $149, so you pay $299-$149 = $150.
Second question: no iLok needed.
paterpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:38 AM   #87
Pixelshock

Woa...Mr. Slate is here and posting! I bought VCC over the holidays and LOVE it. Props dude. That is a SWEET plug.

I was about 2 clicks from buying the new SSD plug but thought I'd drop into the official forums and see what folks were saying. Then I saw this:

http://www.stevenslatedrums.com/foru...hp?f=12&t=3957

And I freaked. The big one was "no synchronisation with host". Can we get clarification on that? If I'm using pro midi grooves and drag and drop, the software can't detect what BPM my host is set to? And if it's not auto, can I punch that value into SSD before I drag and drop? (which would be ok)

I often end up working my own midi into my tracks with a pad-midi controller, but most times just to get things flowing I just toss some grooves in to get started. If I can't easily set my timing, that's a huge no go.
Pixelshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:19 PM   #88
paterpeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelshock View Post
And I freaked. The big one was "no synchronisation with host". Can we get clarification on that? If I'm using pro midi grooves and drag and drop, the software can't detect what BPM my host is set to? And if it's not auto, can I punch that value into SSD before I drag and drop? (which would be ok)
I suppose what is meant there is that the grooves are not played back at the host's tempo when previewed inside the SSD plugin. If I drag and drop grooves into the Host they always fit perfectly into e.g. 4 bars no matter which tempo the track has. So this isn't much of an issue as long as you don't depend on the preview being synced.

That being said - a sync option certainly wouldn't hurt.
paterpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:32 PM   #89
mabian

Indeed - the plugin currently is not capable of previewing grooves at the project tempo; but Steven already said this (absolutely needed, as you pointed out) feature will be added soon.

Actually, as far as I understand, SSD 4 is currently in a sort of prerelease status, so it's going to get enhanced and stabilized in the next weeks I guess.

- Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:47 PM   #90
Pixelshock

Thanks for verifying that paterpeter. Greatly appreciated.

So that's not a deal-breaker at all then. I'm sure they will get the preview thing fixed before long.
Pixelshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:24 PM   #91
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOFX View Post

You MUST be a drummer - 299-149=?????

P.S. no iLok required, YAY
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:57 PM   #92
Steven Slate

Hi there, see my reply in that thread. Everything stated has already been addressed.

The Groove Library will be updated next week.
64bit versions will be available next week.
Synchro to Host will be in an update.

The user's other gripe was the look.. and I personally chose the look of SSD4 to be simple, ergonomic, and easy and soft on the eyes. Everything is laid out to be made to be used EASILY. So I think we have a win in the look by far. Its not going to win a modeling contest but it'll get you customizing drums really quickly.

Steven
Old 12-31-2011, 04:17 AM   #93
willowhaus

Hi Steven - as long as you're here...

I got the EX upgrade pretty much as soon as the email went out. I also emailed you guys about the corruption issue & how I fixed the .rar file. (If that was helpful in any way, you're welcome. )

I'm having a weird issue in Pro Tools 10 (no offense, REAPER guys - read on!) - when I insert the sampler on an instrument track I can't move the window at all; if I click the plugin on the channel to toggle the window on & off, it travels across the screen a bit each time, by a certain amount of pixels (x) and (y), Takes 4 or 5 clicks to "lap" the screen vertically. Between that & the resources needed to load & run it, it's basically unusable. (I am running an older iMac...but usually I'm able to run some tracks & a VI, then print the VI to audio.)

Now...I don't have this problem in REAPER. (See? Redemption!) Of course, that's VST vs. RTAS, but at least part of the plugin seems to work. I converted the project I had been working on to stems & moved it to REAPER, and was able to continue that night's work.

I did not see anything about GUI issues on the forum. Has anyone else mentioned this?

BTW, I also grabbed the VCC plugs after trying - and loving - the RC Tube plugs. Excellent work on those, they're really amazing!
willowhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:03 PM   #94
Steven Slate

Thanks man. The issue you're having with PT I can't recreate, so I'd like to investigate further. If you send a ticket to support at www.slatedigital.com/support I'd appreciate it, because it'll force the dev team to figure out what's up.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 01-02-2012, 08:36 PM   #95
mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
You MUST be a drummer - 299-149=?????
Government accounting.
mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:34 AM   #96
bharris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Hi there, see my reply in that thread. Everything stated has already been addressed.

The Groove Library will be updated next week.
64bit versions will be available next week.
Synchro to Host will be in an update.

The user's other gripe was the look.. and I personally chose the look of SSD4 to be simple, ergonomic, and easy and soft on the eyes. Everything is laid out to be made to be used EASILY. So I think we have a win in the look by far. Its not going to win a modeling contest but it'll get you customizing drums really quickly.

Steven
Hi Steven,

Is there a way to load your own grooves into the Groove Library? In other words, can I point to a folder with midi grooves and have them show up in the SSD 4 Groove Library? I didn't see this option in the manual or in the interface.

Thanks!
bharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:54 AM   #97
Leo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharris View Post
Hi Steven,

Is there a way to load your own grooves into the Groove Library? In other words, can I point to a folder with midi grooves and have them show up in the SSD 4 Groove Library? I didn't see this option in the manual or in the interface.

Thanks!
Try putting them into C:\Program Files\VSTPlugins\SSD4Library\Grooves or wherever you have your SSD4 installed. Your folder might have to be named whatever.LIB, try playing around with that. The grooves themselves are just midi files.

edit: hey, I tried. I took the grooves from 3.5 and put them in the SSD4Library/Grooves folder. There's some work to be done before the groove loader in SSD4 will see them. The midi files themselves are ok, but they need to be in a specific folder structure. The first folder needs to called anything.LIB, the one in that needs to be called .SNG and inside that there needs to be one that's called .PRT. They correspond with Library, Category and Parts in the groove loader.

So if you create folders with these names (.lib, .sng and .prt), you can put your midis in the folder that ends in .PRT and it will see them. It takes a moment to for example edit the folder names for the 3.5 Glen Sobel grooves, but if you bother to do it you can load them from the 4.0 groove loader.

Last edited by Leo; 01-03-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:43 AM   #98
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Absolutely not Chip, email me at slate@stevenslate.com and we'll figure something out.

Cheers,
Steven
Thanks for the quick response and service - and a lack of bureaucracy in dealing with your company. Seems like the DMV is becoming the model for "dealing with the customer" these days.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #99
bharris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Try putting them into C:\Program Files\VSTPlugins\SSD4Library\Grooves or wherever you have your SSD4 installed. Your folder might have to be named whatever.LIB, try playing around with that. The grooves themselves are just midi files.

edit: hey, I tried. I took the grooves from 3.5 and put them in the SSD4Library/Grooves folder. There's some work to be done before the groove loader in SSD4 will see them. The midi files themselves are ok, but they need to be in a specific folder structure. The first folder needs to called anything.LIB, the one in that needs to be called .SNG and inside that there needs to be one that's called .PRT. They correspond with Library, Category and Parts in the groove loader.

So if you create folders with these names (.lib, .sng and .prt), you can put your midis in the folder that ends in .PRT and it will see them. It takes a moment to for example edit the folder names for the 3.5 Glen Sobel grooves, but if you bother to do it you can load them from the 4.0 groove loader.
Thanks, Leo. In other words, I should be able to put any midi groove files in SSD4Library/Grooves/*.lib/*.sng/*.prt/ and the groove loader will see them?
Old 01-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #100
Leo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharris View Post
Thanks, Leo. In other words, I should be able to put any midi groove files in SSD4Library/Grooves/*.lib/*.sng/*.prt/ and the groove loader will see them?
Yeah exactly like that I did that with some of Glen Sobel's beats and it worked ok.

Back in the day of MSDOS, when folders were called directories and all that, I would've described it like you did but for some reason I felt the need to break it down a bit :P
Old 01-03-2012, 03:31 PM   #101
Steven Slate

I am just now playing around with the some of the new grooves that will be in the updated groove pack. They're really great. We'll also have some bonus grooves from GROOVE MONKEE coming soon. For the guys who work this way, it should be a lot of fun.

Thanks, and I'm always here: slate@stevenslate.com

Cheers,
Steven
Old 01-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #102
bharris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Yeah exactly like that I did that with some of Glen Sobel's beats and it worked ok.

Back in the day of MSDOS, when folders were called directories and all that, I would've described it like you did but for some reason I felt the need to break it down a bit :P
Thanks! I still call them directories, and still refuse to call my C drive "My Computer" . . . .
Old 01-04-2012, 01:24 AM   #103
willowhaus

Quote:
Thanks man. The issue you're having with PT I can't recreate, so I'd like to investigate further. If you send a ticket to support at www.slatedigital.com/support I'd appreciate it, because it'll force the dev team to figure out what's up.

Cheers,
Steven
Done - 2904-DFGJ-7988

I'll wait to hear back before trying to fix anything. If they need any logs or files I'm happy to help.
willowhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:32 AM   #104
jpshea

Whilst Mr. S is in town, will my 3.5 EX song sound the same under 4.0 (even with 3.5 eq & reverb settings)?

Regards,
JPS
jpshea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:32 AM   #105
Leo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpshea View Post
Whilst Mr. S is in town, will my 3.5 EX song sound the same under 4.0 (even with 3.5 eq & reverb settings)?

Regards,
JPS
Likely not. Read my post at the end of the thread:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=94121

They even call 4.0 a prerelease of sorts, so expect to stay with 3.5 for a while if you have project you started with it.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:37 AM   #106
mabian

Not only that, V4 is a whole different plugin, so project using 3.5 will still need 3.5 to load properly.

It's no longer using Kontakt.

- Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:21 PM   #107
Steven Slate

What Mario said.

If you have 3.5 in a project, 4.0 won't replace it, so you'll be all good.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 01-09-2012, 12:41 AM   #108
fly

I watched the video but haven't seen controls for room/reverb. Can anyone post a screen shot?
fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #109
gkurtenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly View Post
I watched the video but haven't seen controls for room/reverb. Can anyone post a screen shot?
Room/reverb is provided via the "overhead mikes" and "room" samples associated with each drum. You can set the levels of these samples and their envelopes so the control is very good. For more FX you can route the sounds individually out to Reaper tracks and use other FX plugins. This works really well.

Must say I'm impressed with SSD4: the sounds are great and routing them to my own plugin's I can make the sounds perfect for mix!

Also, the responsiveness to my vdrums (TD4's) seems to be better...

And, it loads different drums super fast!
gkurtenbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #110
ivansc

Default A quick update

Just downloaded the beta of version 1.07 of the player which apparently fixes a couple of blips, one supposedly being tempo synch'ing, plus some more grooves...

Just hope 64 bit is going to be 100% RSN as I am almost to where I could go all 64bit now.

Have to say thus far I am still automatically reaching for EZD for a quick drum part, but that is prolly just habit.

I suspect I will finally end up switching between this and superior depending on the task at hand.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #111
bonfilio

SSD4 is beyond awesome. Loving it! Haven't done anything with it in Reaper yet but 1.07 (it's beta?) x64 works flawlessly in SaviHost64 for me.

(that's it, nothing useful to contribute to this thread )

PS: whoever Alex S is, give him a raise. He immediately sorted a 3.5->4 upgrade issue for me. A++ support!
bonfilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #112
Jae.Thomas

the product is cool, but the forum certainly doesn't have much activity
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:21 AM   #113
ivansc

yeah...must be mostly drummers over there - few words, many helpings, etc.

Mind you that is better than all the psychobabble on gearsutz.
Never entirely sure why I visit there.... a guilty pleasure I suppose...

Just realised 'psychobabble' is apparently a proper word in American English! I get squiggly Spelling Police lines under realiSed but not 'psychobabble'!
Old 01-18-2012, 04:44 AM   #114
Wise_One

Hello guys! I'm also part of the SSD family, I have SSD3.5 EX and I'm loving my Cracky Metal kit! Since I got a discount mail, I'm thinking of upgrading to the new software.

I have a couple of questions though and I'm not sure if they've already been answered. I only use toontrack midi files through ezplayer. Now, ezplayer has a wrapping option up to SSD3.5.

What happens with SSD4? Is it possible to play the toontrack midis right away? Will I have to upgrade ezplayer or something...

I play metal and I absolutely love Library of the Extreeme II midi pack, lot's of double kicks and such, but if I'm going to experience problems with this pack, I'll have to pass on the discount...

Last edited by Wise_One; 01-18-2012 at 04:54 AM.
Wise_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:44 AM   #115
ivansc

A real superficial answer but what I have done so far is to add EZD midi to a track containing the SSD4 software STi and go from there.
That works just great, although the hit strength in SSD4 as presented that way is a little weak compared to EZDs native ezx sounds.
I just upped the velocity a little overall to compensate.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:42 AM   #116
Wise_One

So it's cool then! It works! I don't mind the velocity, I can deal with that. But since you can play the midis in SSD4, I'm sold. I'll go tomorrow and get the little bugger. I keep reading only good comments about SSD4 and I like the metal samples they uploaded on their website.

And THANK GOD they abandoned Kontakt, it was real hell to route to separate tracks...

If they make more midis for us metalheads (kind of what Toontrack did), the package will be complete...
Old 01-24-2012, 08:55 AM   #117
jalan

Hi, all. I'm interested in upgrading to 4.0, but I think read eariler (either here or on the Slate forum) that it's a serious memory hog (at least in it's current release). I'm still running Win XP with 3GB RAM -- am I going to be able to run 4.0 smoothly? I'm using several other VSTs, ampsims, etc. so it's not as if I have a ton of bandwidth in the RAM dept. Let me know. Thanks!
Old 01-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #118
tombuur

Yes, SSD4 uses 1.1 - 1.6 GB on my system. No problems since I have 16GB to use. I just wonder what all that memory usage is good for? The hits sound less varied than Superior 2 stuff using less then half of the same memory.

Not that it may matter, since in a mix you don't hear those small variations in sound as much as you do when the drums are soloed.
Reaper 5, latest release, 64-bit w SWS |GA Z270 UD5|Intel i7 K7700|32 GB RAM|Fireface 800|500GB SSD sys, 1TB SSD Rec, 4TB HDD samples|Win 10 64bit|Dynaudio BM6A|Softube Console 1|Sonnox|Waves|Melda|Superior 3|Komplete 12U|Melodyne|Slate|Izotope.
tombuur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #119
jalan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombuur View Post
Yes, SSD4 uses 1.1 - 1.6 GB on my system.
Yeesh! Yeah, that's a lot, especially compared to Superior 2, as mentioned.

Mr. Slate, if you're still here, will this be dropping in future updates? If so, how much and any guesses as to when? Any workarounds in the meantime? I'd love to get it, but I don't think it'd be usable on my system right now.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #120
ivansc

What on earth are you using? I have ssd4 el cheapo version and it loads in at 7mb yes thats seven megabytes using the classic rock kit....

I'm now going to load a similar kit in eco, EZD, Superior and battery3 -I chose the 60's classic rock kit so I can also compare the bfd eco ludwig kit.

back shortly...

bfd eco ludwig kit goes from 250meg loaded up and 120-140meg when unloaded.

battery 3 with the battery3 rock kit is a whopping 300 odd meg loaded in and not much less when unloaded!!!

Superior drummer goes from 53meg to 47 with the NY Avatar
and from 60 to 53 with the ezx Vintage I used in EZD!

Drummix goes from 141 to 71mb

SuperdrumFX (new toy) I don't know well enough to get noise from, but if it is that difficult it doesn't belong in my machine.

I also have SSD3.5 in Kontakt plus all the other usual suspects, but I think this very simple test gives interesting results.

To clarify, this is opening a new project, double clicking for a new blank track and then inserting each of the drum romplers into the tracks FX.
I then loaded in the most similar kit I could find.
No MIDI, no calls to the audio engine, this is JUST loading up the application/plugin/why and loading in a basic kit.

How much of this is due to the relative size of the sample libraries I don't know but that is why I used the same vintage kit in SD2.1 and EZD.
EZD Vintage is pretty heavy at 243 dropping to 53meg.

I know I have the rods and stix rompler somewhere but could not locate it for this test.
But even allowing for relative size of sample libraries, I fail to see how SSD4 is such a ram hog or how you can use THAT much room.

JALAN:

Are you loading all 100 kits in at startup or something?

Last edited by ivansc; 01-24-2012 at 01:14 PM.