Old 08-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
nyaben
Human being with feelings

Default Linear Phase EQ on Master Buss?

If you are going to add an eq to the master buss, do you use a linear phase eq or minimum phase? I am admittedly only recently learning about the difference and I know there are no hard and fast rules when it comes to audio mixing, etc. I just wonder, on the whole, what works better for you and why? Thanks much for your thoughts.

Last edited by nyaben; 08-11-2012 at 03:59 PM.
nyaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
ramses

I usually use linear phase on the master. It sounds a bit crisper to my ears. I never use it for hp or lp, for that I use minimum phase. Oh, and only very gentle curves usually...
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
nyaben

Thanks, curious to know why you only use HP or LP filter on the minimum phase variety EQ.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
ramses

Not always. But usually the steeper curves introduces some amount of preringing artifacts that bothers me. Same thing with narrow notches and occasional smaller boosts.
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
timlloyd

Linear phase filters always produce pre-ringing, which is why I would probably never use them for anything except low-passing with a very high centre frequency.

But since I don't design ad/da or sample rate converters, there's never a need to consider it

So it's minimum-phase for me ... non-linear phase distortion is a beautiful thing.
timlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:14 AM   #6
nyaben

Thanks much for the replies.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #7
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyaben View Post
If you are going to add an eq to the master buss, do you use a linear phase eq or minimum phase? I am admittedly only recently learning about the difference and I know there are no hard and fast rules when it comes to audio mixing, etc. I just wonder, on the whole, what works better for you and why? Thanks much for your thoughts.
I assume you are working on a mastering job. (The answer for a mixing session would be: no eq at all - fix the offend sound on it's track.)

Audition the eq's you have and simply go with what cures your issue the best and produces the least undesirable artifacts. If you don't have anything 'classy' then maybe start demo'ing new stuff to see what you're missing.

I've had some mastering/restoration jobs where I've used linear phase (Waves) EQ's in conjunction with dividing the audio into multiple tracks by frequency band. I was specifically looking to avoid phase issues when the parts were recombined.

For mastering tweaks (and when going back to the mix isn't an option) my go to EQ is the UAD Precision Mastering EQ and/or their Precision Multiband.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #8
nyaben

Thanks, it is not a mixing session but mastering that I am referring to.