Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 06-24-2014, 01:12 AM   #41
Wolffman
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemark View Post
For Windows, which of the file-types should I point the ReaVerb to? The data files, or the sound files? (There are two separate directories).
The sound files, EG: A Plate.aif

While were talking about these files
The IR's for GN's 480L are in .aif formatt
Can i just load these into REAPER and render them out to .wav files or is there some sort on convolving process necessary ?

I just like to use SIR for IR's but the free version only loads .wav files.

Cheers

https://soundcloud.com/wolffman7
Wolffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:57 AM   #42
crimsonmerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolffman View Post
The sound files, EG: A Plate.aif

While were talking about these files
The IR's for GN's 480L are in .aif formatt
Can i just load these into REAPER and render them out to .wav files or is there some sort on convolving process necessary ?

I just like to use SIR for IR's but the free version only loads .wav files.

Cheers
REAPER can handle .wav and .aiff format, whether it's for music, samples, or IR files. So does their built-in ReaVerb conv. plugin, will do excellent job for this task. Also better on CPU usage than any other free conv. plugin, afaik.
crimsonmerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:09 AM   #43
Halma

Not quite sure if this one has been already mentioned: IKM Classic Studio Reverb. Iirc modeled after a PCM 90/91 & coded by Martin Lind (Relab, LX480). Comes with a modmatrix, LFOs & ENVs and lots of destinations like phase in/phase out, detached ER section.

One of my favourite commercial Reverbs.

Regards
Sebastian
Old 06-24-2014, 04:41 AM   #44
Wolffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonmerry View Post
REAPER can handle .wav and .aiff format, whether it's for music, samples, or IR files. So does their built-in ReaVerb conv. plugin, will do excellent job for this task. Also better on CPU usage than any other free conv. plugin, afaik.
Yeah, thanks but i'm wanting to copy / convert the .aiff files to .wav files so i can use them in SIR1 by Christian Knufinke, i just like the SIR reverb and i'm used to how it works.

Anybody know if this as simple as rendering them out to .wav ?

Cheers

https://soundcloud.com/wolffman7
Wolffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:57 AM   #45
henge1

Quote:
Yeah, thanks but i'm wanting to copy / convert the .aiff files to .wav files so i can use them in SIR1 by Christian Knufinke, i just like the SIR reverb and i'm used to how it works.

Cheers
This is an interesting question. I have no idea!!LOL...but it is interesting...
Old 06-24-2014, 06:39 AM   #46
dmoss74

Quote:

Cheers
i believe that foobar would do that conversion for you.
dmoss74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:59 AM   #47
drtedtan

Quote:
Just dished out the 50 bucks for VVV. It sounds great.
I knew you'd like it!

Quote:

Cheers
Yes, just render from aiff to wav in Reaper, no need for a separate program for the conversion.
drtedtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:29 AM   #48
Magicbuss

Quote:
Wow, thanks for fast replies!

So, there are a few to choose from. Most of them cost several hundred dollars (which they absolutely might be worth).

Have anyone here tested Lexicons simplest variant? MXP Native Verb
http://www.lexiconpro.com/en-US/prod...-native-reverb (looks interesting).

I am also curious if there are ANY budget alternatives that come close. (I will definitely chack out Valhalla).

Thx
Seriously...just get valhalla vinatge verb. Valhalla verbs are considered on par with any reverb at any price. Its a no brainer. The vintage does lexicon style verbs. You might also take a look at the guys previous effort Audiodamage EOS reverb. Another beautiful modulated algo verb in the style of lexicon.
Magicbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:32 AM   #49
Magicbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtedtan View Post
I'll second (or third, or fourth, or whatever it is now )Valhalla Vintage Verb.

Also, there used to be a few sites that hosted impulse responses from these various hardware units, including the Lexicons. Sites like Noisevault.com and echochamber, but they seem to not be hosting the impulses at the moment. You might be able to find them with a bit of Googleing.

You could also check out the free Bricasti impulses over at samplicity. The Bricasti is the king of reverb units these days.
The problem with IR's (especially with lexicon verbs) is that they are static. The whole thing with lexicon verb (to me anyway) is that the tails are modulated giving them depth and motion. IR's can't do that. I like IR's for things like realistic rooms and plates.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:41 PM   #50
dmoss74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicbuss View Post
The problem with IR's (especially with lexicon verbs) is that they are static. The whole thing with lexicon verb (to me anyway) is that the tails are modulated giving them depth and motion. IR's can't do that. I like IR's for things like realistic rooms and plates.
the tails on the valhalla reverbs are breathtaking. when other "home recording" guys i know hear some acoustic work i've recorded with that vst, they fall over. for fifty bucks, it's as close to a no-brainer that i can think of in life.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:43 AM   #51
jens

Quote:
Originally Posted by henge1 View Post
One thing about convo reverb is that IF it has modulation it's sampled modulation. .

Nope - convolution does not have the ability to modulate AT ALL.

Convolution is static. Otherwise it would need more than just one file. It would need a series of files. There are methods similar to convolution which have the ability to modulate/ the ability to process non-linearities. One of them is using Volterra Kernels. Nebula does this - which is why the program files are so big. Also it of course uses a lot more cpu.

http://www.acustica-audio.com/index....180&Itemid=306
jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:21 AM   #52
henge1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jens View Post
Nope - convolution does not have the ability to modulate AT ALL.

Convolution is static. Otherwise it would need more than just one file. It would need a series of files. There are methods similar to convolution which have the ability to modulate/ the ability to process non-linearities. One of them is using Volterra Kernels. Nebula does this - which is why the program files are so big. Also it of course uses a lot more cpu.

http://www.acustica-audio.com/index....180&Itemid=306
Yup...if the reverb being sampled has modulation then the impulse will include the modulation.There's no way to tweak the modulation as it's part of the impulse.
Liquidsonics Reverberate lets you modulate a whole bunch of parameters to get you closer to the algo sound.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:28 AM   #53
Bezmotivnik

Here's a quick question for the Lexicon mavens:

I bought a Lexicon interface and the bundleware includes Lexicon "Pantheon II" VST reverbs. Are these real enough to bother installing?

I ask because I see so-called "Lexicon" firmware reverbs turning up on multieffects modelers that lack the resources to really run adequate reverb in the first place, so I wondered if these were the same jive.

Thanks for any sage insights!
Old 06-26-2014, 09:27 AM   #54
Bezmotivnik

This one.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:54 AM   #55
Magicbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezmotivnik View Post
That looks a bit like the pantheon reverb that came with sonar 8 back when I used sonar. I thought it was...OK. Definitely not as good as my low end Hardware Lexi (mpx 500)

For free it can't hurt to give it a try but I'd be surprised if valhalla couldn't do better.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:30 PM   #56
henge1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezmotivnik View Post
Here's a quick question for the Lexicon mavens:

I bought a Lexicon interface and the bundleware includes Lexicon "Pantheon II" VST reverbs. Are these real enough to bother installing?

I ask because I see so-called "Lexicon" firmware reverbs turning up on multieffects modelers that lack the resources to really run adequate reverb in the first place, so I wondered if these were the same jive.

Thanks for any sage insights!
I've never heard the Pantheon reverb, but for free...why not!
Old 06-26-2014, 01:32 PM   #57
Bezmotivnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by henge1 View Post
I've never heard the Pantheon reverb, but for free...why not!
I googled this a little.

Apparently the original Pantheon was not highly regarded and the Pantheon II was supposed to be an improvement.

Also, it appears that they may have been selling it (or pretending to) for a princely $249 at some point, but no longer. [shrug]

It seems to me that since Lexicon is a Harman company, the name is getting indiscriminately whored-out to other Harman products, like DigiTech, which claims Lexicon reverbs in AudioDNA2-based outboard products that do not have the processing power to do serious reverb in the first place, especially within a MFX chain.

So...I was wondering if this bundleware was just such a jokey product. I don't really trust myself as any sort of a technically-competent judge of this.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:32 AM   #58
Pook2000

With so many IR's available why would anyone really want to fork out to buy a new stand alone plugin by Valhalla, Lexicon or whomever? I can see that people are mentioning modulation but I'm not sure what difference this is going to make in the context of the greater mix? I suppose I'm really asking does it make all that much of a difference?

I'm considering buying the Valhalla plugin BTW but I'm not sure if I really need it or not.

Just a thought
Pook2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:37 AM   #59
henge1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pook2000 View Post
With so many IR's available why would anyone really want to fork out to buy a new stand alone plugin by Valhalla, Lexicon or whomever? I can see that people are mentioning modulation but I'm not sure what difference this is going to make in the context of the greater mix? I suppose I'm really asking does it make all that much of a difference?

I'm considering buying the Valhalla plugin BTW but I'm not sure if I really need it or not.

Just a thought
Only you can make the call about which sound you prefer. I grew up with algo reverbs so I guess my ear is tuned to that sound.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:09 PM   #60
Rusty Falcon

I like the Reverberate IR loader with the following:

Lexicon 480 IRs

Lexicon PCM90 IRs

Lexicon PCM70 IRs

And for some extra fun...

Bricasti M7 TrueStereo IRs
Rusty Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:38 PM   #61
Tod

I'm using ReaVerb along with some good IRs for nearly all my reverb needs. There are a lot of good IRs, Samplicity is very good, and Reapers own SMM has put together some very nice IRs.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=130497

SMM's IRs are very good and they have a nice smooth fade that many IRs don't give you.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:17 PM   #62
dmoss74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Falcon View Post
I like the Reverberate IR loader with the following:

Lexicon 480 IRs

Lexicon PCM90 IRs

Lexicon PCM70 IRs

And for some extra fun...

Bricasti M7 TrueStereo IRs

what am i missing here? i dl-d these, set them in my host directory for impulses, open reaverberate (or reaverb), then when i try to load something, the only option is for .rpl files.

is there a conversion shortcut i'm missing???
Old 06-30-2014, 06:22 AM   #63
Magicbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pook2000 View Post

Just a thought
In a word: Control.

IR's are great especially for recreating realistic spaces like rooms. I use IR's almost exclusively for rooms and plates.

But IR's are static - you dont really get much control over them even with a great IR plug like Reverberate which gives more control than most.

With most algo verbs I have control over density, diffusion, color, early reflections and modulation. Algo's sound best to me for halls and longer reverb tails.

Also the processor overhead on algo verbs is typicaly ALOT less than IR verbs so you can use more instances if necessary.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:02 AM   #64
Rusty Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoss74 View Post
what am i missing here? i dl-d these, set them in my host directory for impulses, open reaverberate (or reaverb), then when i try to load something, the only option is for .rpl files.

is there a conversion shortcut i'm missing???
It sounds like you are trying to load presets using the Reaper UI elements.

Inside the "Reverberation Impulse Response" area there are some arrow buttons left side. The "up arrow" button will open a file browser so you can select an IR. Alternatively in the bottom part of the window there is a "Browser" tab that allows you similar actions.

Check the User Guide section 2.2.

Also if you are using the Bricasti files from that link, he offers a set of Reaper presets as well. If you load the Reaper presets using the Reaper "+" button then "Import Preset Library" it's much simpler to select IRs - but that's only for his Bricasti library.
Rusty Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:37 AM   #65
dmoss74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Falcon View Post
It sounds like you are trying to load presets using the Reaper UI elements.

Inside the "Reverberation Impulse Response" area there are some arrow buttons left side. The "up arrow" button will open a file browser so you can select an IR. Alternatively in the bottom part of the window there is a "Browser" tab that allows you similar actions.

Check the User Guide section 2.2.

Also if you are using the Bricasti files from that link, he offers a set of Reaper presets as well. If you load the Reaper presets using the Reaper "+" button then "Import Preset Library" it's much simpler to select IRs - but that's only for his Bricasti library.
thanks!
Old 06-30-2014, 09:10 AM   #66
Andy Hamm

In case no one else has suggested it already, why not just make ir's of your existing hardware units?

Quote:
Hi,

Back in the days, when Lexicon suddenly made their famous reverbs accessible to a larger public by releasing the relatively inexpensive LXP 1 and LXP 5, I bought them both. Man, I was sold. They sounded fantastic!

Now I wonder, what VSTs (if any) sound at least in the ball park?

Will any of the IR files for ReaVerb (discussed in another thread) bring me close? Which ones, in that case?

Sorry if this has been asked before.
Andy Hamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:47 PM   #67
reapercurious

I can't distinguish the difference between Freeverb 3 and Lexicon.
http://static.sourceforge.jp/thumb/g.../600x600_0.png

The amount of control in this plugin is more than adequate, and you can attain tails for ages.

http://sourceforge.jp/projects/freeverb3vst/

Try this suite in detail, curious to hear your report.
reapercurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:28 PM   #68
AmmoniumNitrate
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapercurious View Post
Try this suite in detail, curious to hear your report.
So confused by it/them.
AmmoniumNitrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:58 PM   #69
AmmoniumNitrate
Banned

so complicated

http://freeverb3vst.sourceforge.jp/t...t_hibiki.shtml
Old 07-01-2014, 01:15 AM   #70
Aeolian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmoniumNitrate View Post
It gets worse ...

http://freeverb3vst.sourceforge.jp/opt.shtml
Old 07-01-2014, 01:46 PM   #71
AmmoniumNitrate
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post
I might actually try to re-learn C++ and DSP so I can understand that, because that would get me to where I want to be with reverb, instead of continuing my endless search for a satisfactory closed-source algo verb.

Last edited by AmmoniumNitrate; 07-01-2014 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:36 PM   #72
cemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Hamm View Post
In case no one else has suggested it already, why not just make ir's of your existing hardware units?
Because I got rid of them 15+ years ago (and don't have a clue how it's done)? :-)

On a serious note, that would be cool (and many people have done just that, it seems).

Right now, I really like what I hear from VVV.
cemark is offline   Reply With Quote