Old 05-28-2009, 06:09 PM   #1
jiffy999
Human being with feelings

Default eq peice of song

Is there a way to eq part of a song rather than the whole thing? I've got parts of song that have a lot of low end and is muffled can I eq these parts? I've loaded the eq fx but do not see how to eq just parts of the song.
jiffy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:14 PM   #2
dub3000

one way to do it is to put an eq on the master bus and automate it on/off. but i suspect you should probably just eq individual elements better, by the sound of things.
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:18 PM   #3
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffy999 View Post
Is there a way to eq part of a song rather than the whole thing? I've got parts of song that have a lot of low end and is muffled can I eq these parts? I've loaded the eq fx but do not see how to eq just parts of the song.
as dub3000 says, you can add ReaEQ (or something else) to the master - then you can use a bypass envelope on that FX to only apply the EQ to those parts where you want it to apply.
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:34 PM   #4
jiffy999

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
as dub3000 says, you can add ReaEQ (or something else) to the master - then you can use a bypass envelope on that FX to only apply the EQ to those parts where you want it to apply.
How do I add to the master
How do I use a bypass envelope
Old 05-28-2009, 06:40 PM   #5
Captain Damage

From your (brief) description I think you'd be better off figuring out what instrument(s) are causing the problem at these specific parts and fix them. In other words, there's something wrong with your tracks and you should fix it at that level rather than in the master.
Captain Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:57 PM   #6
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
How do I add to the master
How do I use a bypass envelope
First, I'd take the advice of Captain Damage and look for the track that is the source of the problem and use the EQ there rather than on the master. But if you really do decide that you want to add the FX to the master ...

In track view Ctrl+Alt+M will display the master. It has an FX button like any other track, you add the FX in exactly the same way.

If you don't know how to do this, grab a copy of the User Guide from the Reaper main download page ... there's heaps of info on this.
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:10 PM   #7
jiffy999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Damage View Post
From your (brief) description I think you'd be better off figuring out what instrument(s) are causing the problem at these specific parts and fix them. In other words, there's something wrong with your tracks and you should fix it at that level rather than in the master.
I've tried but don't know how to fix it. Its just a single instrument acoustic guitar. I've moved the mic all over the place to get the sound I like. Its only in a few parts of the song it gets muffled. I don't know what else to do besides move the mic around and when I do that I loose the sound I like.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:12 PM   #8
jiffy999

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
First, I'd take the advice of Captain Damage and look for the track that is the source of the problem and use the EQ there rather than on the master. But if you really do decide that you want to add the FX to the master ...

In track view Ctrl+Alt+M will display the master. It has an FX button like any other track, you add the FX in exactly the same way.

If you don't know how to do this, grab a copy of the User Guide from the Reaper main download page ... there's heaps of info on this.
I know how to do that but this will eq the whole song I just need to fix a couple of parts of the song.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:14 PM   #9
J Kennedy

Another option for you, and you’ll have to get advice from others here, is to use a secondary wave editor from within Reaper. I’ve used Audition 1.5 which can select any areas and apply any effects with no ASIO competition.

The process is quite good actually after the editor is registered in Reaper. Double click on the audio track and the external editor opens.

There are possibly good freeware editors that can read vst’s and apply effects to selected areas. Don’t know if programs like Wavosaur, Audacity will do this. Others will be able to better advise.

John
J Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:04 PM   #10
dub3000

Quote:
I've tried but don't know how to fix it. Its just a single instrument acoustic guitar. I've moved the mic all over the place to get the sound I like. Its only in a few parts of the song it gets muffled. I don't know what else to do besides move the mic around and when I do that I loose the sound I like.

maybe the track is fine and your speakers/mix environment/room are untreated? does the problem go away in headphones?

recommended reading: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=35475
Old 05-28-2009, 08:05 PM   #11
steadyrev

You can highlight a section of a file in Wavosaur and apply procesiing to it easily!
Zoom in to sample level if it suits you
It goes without saying you get to use the vst of your choice
steadyrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:53 PM   #12
dub3000

alternatively, use the S key to split the wave in different spots, and shift-E to apply effects just to the selected part of the wave. cross fade the fx part with the surrounding parts to get the fx to apply gradually.

it still sounds like you're trying to fix some problem the wrong way, though. if you haven't read any starters guides to home recording that might be a good start.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:32 PM   #13
reaperdeeper

what about reafir?
insert reafit in the master or instrument track.
choose compressor in the dropdown menu - set the ratio to about 2 or 3 to 1.
now watch the spectrogram at the parts u mean - when u see the peaks in the muffled parts draw a decent line over that frequencies - try around.
reaperdeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:34 AM   #14
kindafishy

jiffy999, you are going to get a dozen answers for this. Here is what I would do...

Use Voxengo SPAN (http://www.voxengo.com/product/span/) on the offending track to identify the frequencies that are getting away from you. Once you figure out what they are, use ReaEQ to filter them, perhaps using a notch or band filter. If done correctly, this should not negatively affect the rest of your track. Play with the 'Bandwidth' parameter in ReaEQ to adjust the frequency range that is affected.

When using SPAN, if you mouse over the graph, the top right corner will show you the exact frequency under your mouse pointer. ReaEQ rules, and will let you type that frequency into a text box beside the 'Frequency (Hz)' slider.

Another option is for you to render the offending track and post it here. That way, a couple people can download it to see exactly what is going wrong and suggest a very straight forward fix for you.

kf
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 05:23 AM   #15
jiffy999

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub3000 View Post
alternatively, use the S key to split the wave in different spots, and shift-E to apply effects just to the selected part of the wave. cross fade the fx part with the surrounding parts to get the fx to apply gradually.

it still sounds like you're trying to fix some problem the wrong way, though. if you haven't read any starters guides to home recording that might be a good start.
If I'm doing something wrong I'd like to know. But I have not come across any guides that say this is how you record guitar, use these settings, setup reaper like this to record guitar.

Mic is about 9 inch away from guitar its near the end of fretboard angled towards the head. This gives me a good recording sound (I like it anyways). Its recording at around -6db there is a couple parts that jump up around -0.1db and get muffled. I know its because the mic is near the soundhole but moving the mic up the fretboard I loose the low end and the sound is just flat to my ears.

Maybe I don't know what I'm doing so please tell me.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:49 AM   #16
t00nz

A couple or three solutions:

1) Duplicate the offending track.. and then edit it so that all the ok parts are on the old track, and all the parts that need EQ are on the new track. Then EQ the new track.

2) Read up about automation in the user guide. You can automate the Bypass on the eq plugin, to turn it on just for the times it is needed.

3) For real flexibility, automate just the Db gain/reduction of the specific band you want. (Best if you need to vary the amount over time, and if splitting the track or automating bypass causes some clicks)
t00nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 05:52 AM   #17
Fabian

Jiffy,
From what I understand you have a single track with acoustic guitar, of which a part does not sound the way you like it, but the rest is fine. Why don't you split (place marker, press S) the track so that the non-good part becomes its own media item, and then apply the EQ FX only to that particular part (select part, press F2, click FX icon on the Media Item Properties dialog)?
Old 05-29-2009, 07:36 AM   #18
t00nz

Could also try the Spectro plugin (eval version comes with Reaper)..

Or use multi band compression, to limit the band you want , but not touch it when it is below the threshold.
t00nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:03 AM   #19
darjama

I'd consider adding a highpass to the whole track. If I had to guess, the parts that sound fine now won't really be affected, and the boomier parts should be corrected.
darjama is offline   Reply With Quote