Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-26-2015, 06:16 AM   #41
trevlyns
Human being with feelings

On a different tangent, although I have Amplitude 3 (which is fantastic) I recently began working again with my Behringer V-Amp 2 which also has some great classic amp sounds and effects. You can pick them up on e-bay for around 30 quid.

Last edited by trevlyns; 09-16-2015 at 07:24 AM.
trevlyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:27 PM   #42
echo58

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodXAgent View Post
Hi Echo58
Now you got information overload, i suppose. Lot of sims to try. If you find time to play the guitar try the reaper JS plugins. For the style of music you mentioned in your profile try this: JS:Guitar/Amp-model. Try the Fenderbassman /Tweed Champ.
Then maybe the JS:Guitar/tremolo and after that ReaDelay with a nice slap.
Greetings from Hamburg
Vinod
Hi,yeah you could say that!
I will try JS plugin chain you've kindly posted.
many thanks to you and all the others for your cool advice.
cheers !
echo58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:06 PM   #43
VinodXAgent

Just read your post about your equipment. The Hot Rod Deluxe is a beast. I once tried a DeVille but the other guitarplayer in the band (Orange Full Stack from the 70s) objected about the volume. Everything over 3 hurts.
Back to topic. I have a palmer speaker simulator for 20 or 30 years now for recording and i recommend to look at their current products.
http://www.palmer-germany.com/mi/en/...Simulators.htm
Vinod
VinodXAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:37 AM   #44
Stringer

Default S-Gear 2.5

A new version of S-Gear just came out with a tuner and a couple of new cabinets. The tuner is easy to use, but almost too accurate!

A PRECISION TUNER FOR S-GEAR

Ultra fast and accurate pitch detection technology
Tuning accuracy to within 1/2 cent, right down to the low bass guitar strings
Highly visible analogue style metering with smooth, responsive ballistics
Big note indicator

NEW CABINET OPTIONS

A boutique 2x12" rear ported cabinet
Alnico Gold and G12-65 speaker options
Clean and precise impulse capture process

DELAY PAN CONTROL
A new DelayThing Pan control allows you to position mono mode delays in the stereo field.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:06 PM   #45
Bezmotivnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfrankly View Post
amplitube has the best not-metal tones i've heard from a sim.
This. I nearly have a house full of amps. Haven't used them in years for recording.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:29 AM   #46
somebodyelseuk

I use Amplitube 3.
Amongst other stuff I do, I've put together a couple of 'albums' with my Dad playing Shadows covers, recording direct and using AT3. We live 80 miles apart, so I set him up with Reaper and some basic plugin settings for him to track through using standard Reaper plugs, including their AC30 sim.
In my experience, you need to put the same level of effort and thinking into all the details, not just the amp model, in order to get a realistic sound.
With some logical thinking and experimentation, you can get some outstanding results with little more than the free plugins that are included with Reaper.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:37 PM   #47
Bezmotivnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyelseuk View Post
We live 80 miles apart, so I set him up with Reaper and some basic plugin settings for him to track through using standard Reaper plugs, including their AC30 sim.
[...]
With some logical thinking and experimentation, you can get some outstanding results with little more than the free plugins that are included with Reaper.
I'm confused. Do you mean A3's AC30 sim?
Old 01-28-2015, 03:52 PM   #48
Peter - IK Multimedia

Thanks for the kind words from some AmpliTube fans. I just wanted to make sure it was clear that you don't have to open the Custom Shop app (the one that was stated to look like a "pachinko parlor") at all unless you are demoing specific gear, you want to buy a la carte gear directly IN Custom Shop, or you want to do the Gear --> Restore My Gear function that was explained earlier too and which takes only a few seconds after opening the Custom Shop app to do (and then you can close it and use AmpliTube to your heart's content either standalone or in your DAW without seeing the Custom Pachinko Shop again.
Peter - IK Multimedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:01 PM   #49
donchilcott

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo58 View Post
Hi all,
just starting out on home-recording so be gentle!
Has anyone got any advice regarding Amp sims?
Im trying to record 50s/60s feel guitar,and mostly what im finding
is metal amp plugins!

Cheers !
The Fender/Amplitude amp sim works well for me. I have had friends comment on recordings I have done with Amplitube/Fender asking if I used an amped guitar or amp sim. I hear great things abour S-gear but I am content with what I have.
Good Luck
donchilcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:22 AM   #50
somebodyelseuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezmotivnik View Post
I'm confused. Do you mean A3's AC30 sim?
Sorry, to clarify, I've set my Dad up so that he hears the plugins when he's tracking, but actually records the dry guitar. The AC30 sim he uses in his chain is the one in the Reaper amp modeller thingy.
At my end, I use Amplitube's AC30 model, though, I should add that there's a lot more to it that 'just' using amp modelling software to get the sound we require. We replicate the EQ characteristics of pretty much everything used between the guitar and the original master tape - real anorak stuff.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:00 PM   #51
Bezmotivnik

Quote:
The AC30 sim he uses in his chain is the one in the Reaper amp modeller thingy.
I had no idea there even was such a thing! But sure enough, I just found it.

Quote:
At my end, I use Amplitube's AC30 model, though, I should add that there's a lot more to it that 'just' using amp modelling software to get the sound we require. We replicate the EQ characteristics of pretty much everything used between the guitar and the original master tape - real anorak stuff.
A3's AC30s are just great by my standards. Craig Anderton hipped me to them when they first came out, as he was greatly impressed with them. So am I. I'm not really about guitar, but it does have to be a lucid, good-sounding layer or two in the product. My main sounds are single-coils, primarily that indy Telecaster-with-both-pickups semi-clean thing and to a lesser extent my Gretsch 1962 "Tennessee Rose" reissue with Hilo’Tron™ pickups and various Gibsons with P90s. All these work well with the A3's various AC30s -- especially the Gretsch, hugely better sounding than in that video.

God bless you and your dad for having fun together with your music!
Old 02-02-2015, 12:41 AM   #52
somebodyelseuk

You should try the Gretsch with the Fender Bassman model! Oh my God... with a bit of slapback you've got Brian Setzer or Eddie Cochran. If Johnny Marr's the target, Fender Deluxe. I use a Boogie Triaxis based rack in the real world, and can get as close as needed with the Mark V and Dual Rectumfrier sims.

The trouble is, most people want instant results, but like any other piece of gear, you have to learn how to get the best out of it. I've lost count of the number of people I know, chasing a sound who spend thousands on gear, and then three months later they're selling the gear and buying the next miracle gadget, because they don't 'get' that they are the weak link, not the gear.
In an ideal world, I'd mike up a real amp and blow the windows out, but I'm a hobbyist, I like my neighbours and my freedom, so it's more practical to do it at a civilised level and use software, instead.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:27 AM   #53
calvinmorrismusic

I like positive grid bios
Old 02-02-2015, 01:48 PM   #54
Bezmotivnik

Quote:
The trouble is, most people want instant results, but like any other piece of gear, you have to learn how to get the best out of it. I've lost count of the number of people I know, chasing a sound who spend thousands on gear, and then three months later they're selling the gear and buying the next miracle gadget, because they don't 'get' that they are the weak link, not the gear.
Seriously, if you ever want to visit a virtual insane asylum, go to any guitar gear forum. The users are about as comprehensively and rabidly deluded about as wide a variety of stuff as it is humanly possible to be without exploding in flames. I swore off guitar gear forums years ago.

Quote:
In an ideal world, I'd mike up a real amp and blow the windows out, but I'm a hobbyist, I like my neighbours and my freedom, so it's more practical to do it at a civilised level and use software, instead.
My ears are so shot I can't handle the noise. Plus, I don't want anyone around here to know I'm a musician. There's no miking anything here anyway due to the perpetual, hellish racket of leaf blowers and barking dogs, I swear.

But the real point is to have a dozen or so roughly worked-out sounds to quickly scroll through and tweak according to the sonic needs of the producer's concept of the finished piece. Get it down (or at least roughed-in) and move on.

Whenever I hear some guitar bore prating on about my tone with his tooob amp (as I did for the millionth time the other night), all I can think is how cripplingly limiting that feeble mindset is for anyone having to produce work with such a clueless egotist.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:27 PM   #55
Stringer

[QUOTE=Bezmotivnik;1471823]Seriously, if you ever want to visit a virtual insane asylum, go to any guitar gear forum. The users are about as comprehensively and rabidly deluded about as wide a variety of stuff as it is humanly possible to be without exploding in flames. I swore off guitar gear forums years ago.

Cymbalholic is pretty insane too, in a quiet, obsessive way. The inmates know they are crazy though.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:29 PM   #56
whiteaxxxe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezmotivnik View Post
Seriously, if you ever want to visit a virtual insane asylum, go to any guitar gear forum. The users are about as comprehensively and rabidly deluded about as wide a variety of stuff as it is humanly possible to be without exploding in flames. I swore off guitar gear forums years ago.

well ... said. nobody needs that bs.
whiteaxxxe is offline   Reply With Quote