Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 06-19-2016, 12:53 AM   #1
dnelso7
Human being with feelings

Default Roland XP60 Keyboard Not Recognized By Reaper:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjklingman View Post
My Roland A500S midi keyboard is apparently not recognized by Reaper as a legitmate midi input.

I've tried all kinds of option combinations and nothing seems to allow me to play the keyboard and have the input recorded by Reaper. And I certainly cannot seem to monitor the keyboard play while I record.

I use exactly the same setup in Finale Songwriter and the keyboard works fine and is a valuable input device.

There are a couple of other midi utilities that I use and they both recognize the keyboard input with no problem.

What can I do here to use Reaper as it is intended to be used? I can't believe this keyboard is that different from the normal equipment used with Reaper.

C J Klingman
Sherman, TX
Same problem for me. Running Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5630 @ 2.53GHz, 2527 MHz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s) 12 GB ram. REAPER (x64) Version 5.21, M-Audio midisport 4x4 Anniversary Addition midi controller, and a Roland XP60 keyboard. Downloaded and modified a Roland XP50.reabank file from the Reaper Stash, and changed the name to XP60 of course, and put that file in the following location on my computer. C:\Users\Dnelson.TAPD\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\Data. Reaper recognizes my Midisport 4x4 controller, but won’t recognize the XP60 keyboard plugged into it. This combo worked fine on Win 7, running Sonar Producer Addition 8.5, but not working with Reaper. My routine is to load Reaper, insert new midi item, which creates a track, and should insert the Roland Xp60, and then I would choose my controller, all channels, and select monitor input, but no go. What am I missing here? Any help will be most appreciated.

Dennis Nelson
Moultrie Georgia

Last edited by dnelso7; 06-19-2016 at 02:05 AM.
dnelso7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:00 AM   #2
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnelso7 View Post
Reaper recognizes my Midisport 4x4 controller, but won’t recognize the XP60 keyboard plugged into it.
REAPER (or Windows for that matter) cannot "recognize" what's attached to the 5-pin MIDI input on your MIDI interface, only the interface itself. It has to be enabled in 'Preferences->Audio->MIDI Devices' though

Quote:
My routine is to load Reaper, insert new midi item, which creates a track, and should insert the Roland Xp60,
Not sure what you mean by "insert the Roland Xp60" - it's an external device.

Unless you created a track template that loads ReaControlMIDI with the .reabank file you mentioned, simply inserting a new MIDI file will not setup the track for MIDI hardware output, or add ReaControlMIDI to the track insert.

Quote:
and then I would choose my controller, all channels, and select monitor input, but no go. What am I missing here?
Maybe you didn't create a MIDI hardware output to send the MIDI back to the XP60? Or are you trying to play a virtual instrument plug-in with the XP60?
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:53 AM   #3
dnelso7

Hi Allie:

Let me try to answer your responses one at a time.

"REAPER (or Windows for that matter) cannot "recognize" what's attached to the 5-pin MIDI input on your MIDI interface, only the interface itself. It has to be enabled in 'Preferences->Audio->MIDI Devices' though."

This has been done. My Midisport 4x4 controller is always recognized.

This must be my problem.

"Unless you created a track template that loads ReaControlMIDI with the .reabank file you mentioned, simply inserting a new MIDI file will not setup the
track for MIDI hardware output, or add ReaControlMIDI to the track insert."

How do I do that? I was under the impression that all I had to do was to load the .reabank into Reaper, and Reaper would read the info contained in the file, and realize that I have the Roland XP60 keyboard hooked up to my Midisport midi controller. You're saying that is not the case? One other thing. When I first set this up, it worked one time, and I wish I had saved that occurance as a track template or project or something. It has never worked again. No argument here that I'm missing something here for sure. How do I set up this template, and what info do I need to include?

Thanks as always for help.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:30 PM   #4
dnelso7

Okay. I read up a bit on creating track templates, but I can't do that because the only thing that I can select that has anything to do with my controller or keyboard is the controller, and without the Roland XP60 keyboard being recognized in some way, as something I can load and then save as part of a template, creating a template of any kind is useless at this point. Todd posted some videos that might help in the beginning of this conversation, and I'll check them out, but I've got to find some way for Reaper to recognize more than just my controller. It has to also recognize in some way, my XP60 keyboard which it did one time only after I inserted a midi item. I was then able to record and play back what I had recorded, and it even called the track Roland XP60. Sure wish I'd saved a template the one time I got it to work.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:34 AM   #5
dnelso7

Default Issue Finally Solved:

This issue is finally solved, and I can barely contain my excitement. As I had explained in prior posts, although my keyboard itself wasn’t recognized by Reaper, my Midisport 4x4 Anniversary Addition midi controller was recognized. It was playing virtual instruments just fine, which among other things told me that my keyboard was working. All I needed, as Ollie attempted to explain to me was a way to get the internal sounds from my keyboard properly routed into Reaper. The Reaplugs REA Insert Plugin solved my issue completely. It had been right under my nose all of the time, and I finally clicked it on a whim, and it allowed me to do all of the routing and channel selection necessary, and now when I play my keyboard, its internal sounds are recorded using midi by Reaper. Once again, the keyboard itself is not recognized in the way that it used to be in Sonar, which I used to use, but I could care less now that I have discovered this plugin. My controller is recognized, and it recognizes the data sent to it by my keyboard when I press keys. The plugin allows me to now configure the routing of my controller correctly, and I can save projects and track templates now with the plugin loaded. I hope I explained my situation a bit better, and maybe I helped someone else out here with their keyboard issues. Be sure to check out Reaplugs.

ReaPlugs

Once you have them installed, be sure to check out the ReaInsert (Cockos) plugin before giving up.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:43 AM   #6
dea-man

Default You've given me hope......

Man, I have an old (but useful and fun) Roland Handsonic HPD-15 which has midi in and out.

Same story though.

When I hook it up to my interface, which is always recognized by Reaper, it just doesn't seem to see the Handsonic.

Maybe Reainsert is the answer.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:37 AM   #7
dnelso7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea-man View Post
Man, I have an old (but useful and fun) Roland Handsonic HPD-15 which has midi in and out.

Same story though.

When I hook it up to my interface, which is always recognized by Reaper, it just doesn't seem to see the Handsonic.

Maybe Reainsert is the answer.
Let's hope so. Please post if it does. Your issue sounds all too familiar to me.