Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-09-2015, 07:20 AM   #41
Runaway
Human being with feelings

You should have the Dropbox link with the converted files in it by now - good luck with the project
Old 10-10-2015, 03:25 PM   #42
henrijs

Just got the reaper project from the omf and it works great. Definitely something to invest in when I need to do this on a regular basis, let's hope that's sooner rather than later.
henrijs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 12:29 AM   #43
Runaway

Thanks for the feedback ;-)
Old 10-11-2015, 02:41 PM   #44
paulo m

With all due respect for all the opinions and suggestions here and considering that Reaper is an amazing DAW, I see this third party conversion tools a waste of time, regarding AAF. I think that AAF and even MXF should be integrated in Reaper, if it´s developers want it of course. I wouldn´t mind if as a paid option as probably the SDK is a paid licence and obviously the integration also takes time and costs money.
Considering the improvements in video on Reaper 5, I can predict an adoption of it for post work as well, so standard tools are welcome.

Paulo M
paulo m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 11:27 PM   #45
airon

Not going to happen Paulo.

We're too small a group to warrant that kind of investment by a three person team that is Cockos, if they're implementing the AAF/OMF support themselves. It's a total nightmare to start from scratch on that.

If they license AATranslators conversion engine as an additional option, perhaps it's possible. The authors of that application might not have the time to do that integration and have the chicken and egg problem of when to invest in a Reaper-internal integration. Small teams have a problem making that kind of investment without a sure return.

I'd save about half a minute or so per conversion from my experience if AATranslator was integrated. I've brought in OMF/AAF files from Premiere so far, as well as Protools sessions, OpenTL files, ADL... and that's about it. It does Media Composer AAFs too now. Then there is Vordio. That's a good tool to bring in FCPX(and Premiere exports thereof) XML files. It can even reconform sessions.

I'm waiting for Reaper v5.1 that has a chance of getting Preview-automation workflows integrated on the basis of building your own stuff via actions around that preview mode. They're taking a hard look at it for v5.1.

Once that comes in, I do expect mixing shows in Reaper to slowly take hold. Perhaps then, the AATranslator and Vordio authors might consider integrating their applications in to Reaper as a plugin. My presumption is that it's a critical mass problem.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 05:04 PM   #46
ThrustStudio

Default Thanks Runaway

Hey - just want to publicly thank Michael aka Runaway for converting a movie audio mix from omf to Reaper. All seems to work great. Great karma Michael!!
ThrustStudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:29 AM   #47
chomps

For any Future Googlers - I just had success today with the old 2009 dll importing OMF into the x86 version of Reaper.

I got the dll here:
https://stash.reaper.fm/v/2426/reaper_omf.dll

It doesn't work in 64 bit Reaper, but it does work in v5.91 32 bit.

For me, anyway.
chomps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:30 PM   #48
fetidus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrustStudio View Post
Hey - just want to publicly thank Michael aka Runaway for converting a movie audio mix from omf to Reaper. All seems to work great. Great karma Michael!!
+1 I know I'm late to the party, but I just saw this thread, and I'll chime in here and say that indeed Michael AKA Runaway AKA AATranslator guy is indeed a class act.
fetidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 06:44 AM   #49
Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
I've brought in OMF/AAF files from Premiere so far, as well as Protools sessions, OpenTL files, ADL... and that's about it. It does Media Composer AAFs too now.
I try to discourage the use of both OMFs and AAF and where possible suggest converting directly from source session eg ProTools as you get far more details than any primitive OMF or AAF can offer.
This is why our next release will allow you to convert directly from a Premier Pro session file and with it comes far more detail.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:54 AM   #50
fetidus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runaway View Post
I try to discourage the use of both OMFs and AAF and where possible suggest converting directly from source session eg ProTools as you get far more details than any primitive OMF or AAF can offer.
This is why our next release will allow you to convert directly from a Premier Pro session file and with it comes far more detail.
That sounds awesome. Curious how you're going to handle audio that is attached to video though... do you render audio files from the source video files in the project? Or will it require copying over the whole source video file?
Old 06-08-2018, 07:00 AM   #51
Runaway

From memory most of the time (and I think it depends on which daw it is going to) we extract the audio from the video
Old 06-08-2018, 07:07 AM   #52
fetidus

Quote:
From memory most of the time (and I think it depends on which daw it is going to) we extract the audio from the video
So if I have a timeline in Premiere that is filled with 100 video clips only (that have audio attached to each of them), and then want to convert over to Reaper, you will extract the audio from each of the video clips on the timeline and render out a bunch of WAV files?!?! That is freaking awesome. Normally I use OMF for that.

Will it give me handles too on either side of each extracted WAV?
Old 06-08-2018, 07:16 AM   #53
Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetidus View Post
So if I have a timeline in Premiere that is filled with 100 video clips only (that have audio attached to each of them), and then want to convert over to Reaper, you will extract the audio from each of the video clips on the timeline and render out a bunch of WAV files?!?! That is freaking awesome. Normally I use OMF for that.
Sure - though I haven't tested 100 video clips not that it should matter LOL

Quote:
Will it give me handles too on either side of each extracted WAV?
I really hate that question ;-)
AAT can't give you anymore audio then the amount of audio that exists
BUT if you have a two minute video and you are using 10 seconds of the video in the clip then AAT will extract ALL the audio and you will have one minute and 50 seconds of handles - would that be enough ;-)
Old 06-08-2018, 07:39 AM   #54
fetidus

Quote:
Sure - though I haven't tested 100 video clips not that it should matter LOL

I really hate that question ;-)
AAT can't give you anymore audio then the amount of audio that exists
BUT if you have a two minute video and you are using 10 seconds of the video in the clip then AAT will extract ALL the audio and you will have one minute and 50 seconds of handles - would that be enough ;-)
haha, more than enough for handles. Yes, of course, you can't give me handles on audio that doesn't exist. And BTW, I normally deal with projects with hundreds, if not thousands of source files, so I sure hope it can handle it!

Also BTW, one limitation of this approach (Premiere -> Reaper) is if I don't have access to the original source files from a client, I can't get audio files or even run the translation. It would require him to install AATranslator locally and then run it on his active project. That might not fly with some clients. However, if I have access to the whole project, then I can run it. Right now, clients are comfortable with exporting to OMF, which is obviously not ideal, but they understand that process.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:47 AM   #55
Runaway

Quote:
Also BTW, one limitation of this approach (Premiere -> Reaper) is if I don't have access to the original source files from a client, I can't get audio files or even run the translation.
I don't quite understand - how would you be expected to do a mix without the source files?
AAT will still do the conversion - it just won't extract the audio but I don't see that as a problem because you still couldn't do the mix without some source media anyway.

Quote:
Right now, clients are comfortable with exporting to OMF, which is obviously not ideal, but they understand that process.
Either way AAT will handle almost all flavours of OMF and even more versions of AAF but you get the added bonus of the option of reading direct from PPro - the agony of choice ;-)
Old 06-08-2018, 07:53 AM   #56
fetidus

Quote:
I don't quite understand - how would you be expected to do a mix without the source files?
AAT will still do the conversion - it just won't extract the audio but I don't see that as a problem because you still couldn't do the mix without some source media anyway.
What I meant was the practical difference of WHERE I am running AAT.

If the client sends me an OMF, he's already obviously aware he needs to send me the related exported audio (which for smaller projects can be embedded right in the OMF making it super easy). He doesn't need to do anything else and there are no new workflows. Then I receive the OMF and then I can then run AAT on my machine. Voila, done.

If the client and I want to try the cool new "Premiere -> Reaper" approach, he would either A) need to install and run AAT on his computer (then send me all the exported files like he normally would), or B) he'd need to send me the entire project, including source video files.

So my poorly-worded point was really about how much hassle it will be to introduce a new workflow to a client, when he's already comfortable with OMF. Hope that makes more sense.

In the case of projects I totally control on my end, from NLE video editing down to mixdown, then the Premiere -> Reaper approach seems like it would be ideal.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:06 AM   #57
Runaway

Understood.

This is all about having options and not necessarily about changing client workflows.
This isn't about leading a horse to water and trying to make him drink - though putting a heap of salt in his feedbag does help LOL
Old 06-08-2018, 10:05 PM   #58
plush2

Quote:
If the client and I want to try the cool new "Premiere -> Reaper" approach, he would either A) need to install and run AAT on his computer (then send me all the exported files like he normally would), or B) he'd need to send me the entire project, including source video files.

So my poorly-worded point was really about how much hassle it will be to introduce a new workflow to a client, when he's already comfortable with OMF. Hope that makes more sense.

In the case of projects I totally control on my end, from NLE video editing down to mixdown, then the Premiere -> Reaper approach seems like it would be ideal.
In my experience as an audio post person teaching video post students it surprises me how obfuscated and removed their workflows are from the source media. I would ask for an example project to run on my machine and most often would get a .prproj with no source media. It is easy enough to create a copy of all source media in a new folder but it seems a very rarely used feature. In short, I totally get what you are saying.
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:25 PM   #59
philper

Looking very forward to trying the version of AAT that will allow direct conversion of PP projects (audio) to RPP! I have to figure out a workflow for working with clients who are far away, but avoiding AAF would be worth some little extra hassle. I wonder if the editor could save a version of their project with all the picture removed (sort of what they are supposed to do before making an AAF or OMF for audio anyway), and how big a deal it would be to send me that? Does no spec'ing handles mean the audio only PP project will be huge by comparison to an OMF or AAF with 4 sec handles?
philper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:02 PM   #60
Runaway

How many video editors have had to be 'trained' just to give the audio person a useful AAF or OMF - more than one I'm sure LOL.

As far as size goes, yes it will be larger than audio with 4 sec handles but it is a bit like converting from PTX vs AAF the payoff for converting from PTX is so much greater.

As I said this is just one more option and if it works best for someone rather than an AAF or OMF then that is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
Looking very forward to trying the version of AAT that will allow direct conversion of PP projects (audio) to RPP!
Email me and I will hook you up with the latest beta version
Old 07-05-2018, 06:56 AM   #61
kaneyking

I work in post and can assure you that moving 40 sessions a week to a client via FTP using reaper and aat is a pain.

Reaper is just an exceptional program but on a day to day work flow, sending 40 session with 20/40 tracks of audio using consolidate a week is just not manageable in terms of time and space (and most of the clients, Netflix included will be happy with an AAF).

I have bought a copy of AAT which works fine for what it is, but there is so much stuff missing that in order to export the way i use to in protools, or nuendo, i actually have to "save as" a projet specifically for exporting with AAT.

The fact that you can´t select the track you want to export as OMF or AAF is a pain, hidden takes makes the exported files unusable, you have to remenber the fps etc etc...

Not to mention that, obviously, clients and partners are also sending AAF and OMF all the time.

We are now managing 4 dubbing rooms and 2 mixing room, and just this missing function makes the integration of reaper and protools such a nightmare and a waist of time.

I guess all daws have their own pros and cons, but it is true that such a simple function missing on a program like reaper (which is for me the best our there) is really hard to understand.

i think that the integration of this function would allow the post-pro guys to jump in whithout looking back to the stupid commercial strategy avid has taken recently.

add to that Neynric control pro for procontrol and control24 controller and we would have the dream daw.
kaneyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:14 AM   #62
EvilDragon

OMF/AAF export/import is FAR from being a simple function, as years on AAT have shown - due to inconsistencies in the format between different DAWs. Don't expect two guys that make up Cockos to take up that amount of work any time soon, or ever (especially since Runaway already did it with AAT)...

(BTW, perhaps try using "Track: Move tracks to subproject" action to make your selected track(s) a project of their own, then convert that subproject with AAT?)

Last edited by EvilDragon; 07-05-2018 at 07:20 AM.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:39 AM   #63
fetidus

Agree completely with ED on this -- OMF/AAF is too inconsistent and I don't see Justin and Schwa spending the kind of time it would need to do it right, unfortunately, when you consider that a pretty good solution already exists, even though that solution has workflow issues as mentioned.

The best approach to solve the workflow issues, IMO, is to approach Runaway and see if he could partner with Cockos or some other devs to enable AAT to be more integrated in Reaper. Reaper is fully capable of adding killer features by 3rd party devs, and I would PAY an upgrade fee to Runaway just to have a version of AAT that is fully integrated inside Reaper. I'd rather have Runaway, who now has years and years of experience dealing with the vagaries of OMF, etc., updating the algorithms, than have Justin spend his time on it.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:41 AM   #64
EvilDragon

Yes, it would be great to have a (paid) extension from Runaway that would basically be a part of AAT that converts RPP into OMF or AAF as necessary.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:45 AM   #65
fetidus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Yes, it would be great to have a (paid) extension from Runaway that would basically be a chunk of AAT that converts RPP into OMF or AAF as necessary.
+1000

Runaway, you interested? As a current AAT Enhanced user, I'd be thrilled to pay an upgrade fee for it to be integrated in Reaper. If we can get enough folks interested, what do you think?
Old 07-05-2018, 08:57 AM   #66
Runaway

Other commitments at this time don't really allow integrating all or parts of AAT into Reaper right now though we have done a little exploratory work in this area. However, we have sponsored a number of scripts from x-raym which allow a much more seamless conversion from Reaper to ProTools, OMF and AAF formats.

Most don't realise that many of the features that make Reaper so flexible and useful just aren't supported by these formats.

Sessions with reverse items, loops, items a single sample in width, stacked items, stretched items, pitched items, mixed channel counts on the same track, etc, etc, etc either don't convert or cause corrupted conversions so we go to great pains to ensure that a conversion is valid and while we now convert sample rates, bit depth and all sorts of other helpful things some ownership has to be taken by the creator of the session because these formats are just so bad (ie complex and convoluted).

So I would encourage all Reaper users considering conversions using AATranslator to go to x-raym's site https://www.extremraym.com/en/downlo...-attranslator/. These scripts are not just helpful for conversions to ProTools but also for conversions to OMF, AAF and most other formats.

Last edited by Runaway; 07-06-2018 at 09:17 AM.
Runaway is offline   Reply With Quote