Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-11-2015, 06:59 PM   #1
SonicAxiom
Human being with feelings

Default no waveform displayed while punching in/out on several tracks alternately

I want to record 10 tracks of conference speeches simultaneously to separate MP3 files coming from 10 different rooms with 10 different speakers talking. When one speaker has finished I punch out in the respective track for the respective room and re-arm it as soon as the following event is about to begin. In the meantime, other tracks continue to be recorded.

There are no waveforms shown in the item that has just been created after punching out. What is the reason for this? Waveforms only appear once I press stop but it is impossible to do this while other events continue to happen. A recording session can last for several hours before all speeches are finished and I can finally stop recording.

So why can't Reaper display the waveform of a new item as soon as I punched out while other tracks continue to be recorded and their waveforms are drawn on the fly?
SonicAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:21 PM   #2
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
I want to record 10 tracks of conference speeches simultaneously to separate MP3 files coming from 10 different rooms with 10 different speakers talking. When one speaker has finished I punch out in the respective track for the respective room and re-arm it as soon as the following event is about to begin. In the meantime, other tracks continue to be recorded.

There are no waveforms shown in the item that has just been created after punching out. What is the reason for this? Waveforms only appear once I press stop but it is impossible to do this while other events continue to happen. A recording session can last for several hours before all speeches are finished and I can finally stop recording.

So why can't Reaper display the waveform of a new item as soon as I punched out while other tracks continue to be recorded and their waveforms are drawn on the fly?
Wow, that's an ambitious project SonicAxiom.

I think the problem is that files aren't saved until the project stops recording and play stops.

My only suggestion would be to maybe use more than one project, I think you can be recording in one project while working in another.

I've used this method while making videos but I'm not sure how it would work for your situation.

Heh heh, I don't envy you in this endeavor, so many things can go wrong.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:49 PM   #3
Tod

I was curious, I just tried this with 4 different projects and was able to record independently on all of them. If your computer can handle it, you could have 10 different projects going.

You'll want to figure out a way to keep track of what's what. Actually if you record each project to it's own folder it shouldn't be too bad.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:59 PM   #4
SonicAxiom

I also considered that multi-tab option, Tod. Thanks for testing it. I'll give it a try.

Any method will probably come with some potential of confusion under these circumstances

Every speaker wants to have his speech a few minutes after the end of his own event. Currently, cf recorders are used in every room. There's a Dante network in the building so one Laptop connected to it could easily record all speeches at once in mp3 format. With clever track and project naming all recorded files end up with their specific naming as required.

Is there an option to make reaper save files and display waveforms immediately after punching out instead only after hitting stop?
Old 10-12-2015, 04:31 PM   #5
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
Is there an option to make reaper save files and display waveforms immediately after punching out instead only after hitting stop?
Hi SonicAxiom, yes I think you can.

I've got Transport: Record tied to "R" as a shortcut key.

I was just playing around with it and when I clicked on "R" it started recording and when I clicked on "R" again, it immediately stopped recording and showed the wave form.

Also if you don't have anything beyond the Play Cursor when you stop recording, the Play Cursor will also stop and go back to the Edit Cursor.

Regardless of how you do it, please let us know how this all works out. It's a fascinating project.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:10 PM   #6
SonicAxiom

Hey Tod, thanks so much for your effort!

I have assigned exactly the same action here. That doesn't do the trick, unfortunately. I have to punch in and out on several tracks at different times by hitting the respective track arming button (as soon as an event is over in one room and the following event with a new speaker is about to start).

This is a simplified setup with 4 rooms/tracks instead of 10:

Hope this helps understanding my particular recording scenario.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:52 PM   #7
Tod

Aah, okay, I never thought about the Arm button, good one.

If you've got good communication with the various rooms, that should probably work the best.

Good luck and let us know how it all turns out.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:15 AM   #8
SonicAxiom

I have a large kinda cctv screen in front of me where I can follow what's going on in every room

Yet, I'd still like to know why peaks disappear as soon as I punch out via track arming in this scenario and I'd like to be able to turn this feature off globally.