Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 05-25-2017, 06:42 AM   #1
sebmu7
Human being with feelings

Default Latency when Reaper is rewired with Ableton Live 9

Setup: Macbook Pro OSX 11 / 8G RAM / Apogee Duet

Hi everyone, I'm having latency issues when when I try to play a midi instrument in Ableton Live 9 when it is rewired with Reaper. But the second I try to do it in the standalone version of Live it's working perfectly...

Although, if I'm doing a playback in Reaper there's no latency with my Ableton tracks. It's only when I'm actually playing a midi instrument in Ableton when rewired to Reaper.

Any idea? My state of mind right now is that rewire is simply not optimized for what I intend to do.
sebmu7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 12:07 PM   #2
serr

Rewire is going to add latency.

I don't use rewire so I don't know if there are any rewire preference settings to play with. (I'm just aware that this scenario adds latency.)

Do you have any headroom left for latency? Running with just one system that is. For example, do you push your latency closer towards the 11ms mark to let you run more plugins? (eg. a 128 sample block size because it makes < 11ms RTL and why strain the system)

If you do, maybe it's possible to get away with a 64 sample block size and still run the plugins you need. And maybe that would make up the difference with the added Rewire latency and let you use the combined system live.

You might want to play with the system and see what you can work around that way. It's possible there's some conflict thing going on too. Someone else will more familiar with Rewire might have something to say.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:38 PM   #3
sebmu7

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
You might want to play with the system and see what you can work around that way. It's possible there's some conflict thing going on too.
Thank you for your reply Serr. I effectively discovered a conflict with my midi keyboard. It was syncing on both of my DAW. Now that it is only plugged in Reaper the Latency is way better. After that I ajusted my sample block like you proposed and now the latency is not a problem anymore. Hurray!!
sebmu7 is offline   Reply With Quote