Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 05-25-2017, 03:18 PM   #1
JoeMadBro
Human being with feelings

Default Assigning sounds to launchpad mk2 in reaper

Hello,

I just got a launchpad mk2 and I am trying to set it up. I have it setup in the preferences as a midi device, and I have a track assigned with the input set to Input MIDI > LaunchPad MK2 > All Channels

And I see the track recieving signal when I press a pad. Now how do I set sounds to the pads themselves? I've looked around and can't figure it out or find anything. In a couple of places I saw mention of Novation Automap, I installed that and went through the setup of it with Reaper but it doesn't see the launch pad as being connected.

Am I missing something?

Thank you
JoeMadBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 04:38 PM   #2
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMadBro View Post
Now how do I set sounds to the pads themselves? ...
... Am I missing something?
Yes.

The Launchpad is only a MIDI controller. So you will need to use a (sampler) plugin where you load the audio files first. Then trigger the audio files via the corresponding MIDI notes assigned to each pad on the Launchpad.
Have a look, for instance, at ReaSamploMatic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJD7aNzSmO8

And in case you want to use the Launchpad to trigger virtual instruments, you'll also need to load an instrument plugin into the Track first ...

Last edited by solger; 05-25-2017 at 05:03 PM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:53 PM   #3
JoeMadBro

That helped a lot. I have figured out how to place sounds on each individual pad with this video.

Do you know of any way to fully utilize all of launchpad features, as in adding multiple pages?

As for right now, this works wonderfully. Thank you!
Old 05-26-2017, 12:43 AM   #4
Win Conway

Playtime, it is an add on for reaper that gives you full clip support ala Ableton Live, but in Reaper and designed to work with the Launchpad hardware.

https://www.helgoboss.org/projects/playtime/
Old 05-29-2017, 09:55 AM   #5
JoeMadBro

Playtime looked promising, but after playing with I don't think its really what I was looking for. I don't like how it needs a new track for each sound, then it also auto plays the project.

I like how with the ReaSamplOmatic, you can select which sound file it uses, then you can also trim it to fit what you want. All it does is affect the fx of the track that you are using for the launcher. The thing that its missing for me, is I want to be able to press the stop button on the launcher and have it stop all sounds, or the mute button to mute all sounds. I want to be able to use the paging and have multiple different pages of sound clips, and didn't really see that ability with playtime either. The biggest thing I did like from Playtime was organization is so much easier, and the learn function is really nice so I don't have to figure out what number button I need to assign.

Until I find something better I'll just stick with ReaSamplOmatic, and have a few tracks and then use the launchpad as a control surface to mute and unmute them and use the pads to trigger the sounds like it is
Old 05-29-2017, 07:26 PM   #6
Win Conway

Playtime needs neither a new track or autoplay the project unless it has changed, but glad Rs5k is working for you