Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 05-26-2017, 06:28 PM   #1
Jasipi
Human being with feelings

Default Hear Reaper track effects on dry line input?

Not even sure how to phrase the title..

I record a POD HD using lines into the front of a Focusrite 2i4. I don't want to use the POD USB (for input availability and latency reasons), and i don't want to record with effects that cannot be changed.

Is there any way to play my guitar using a dry POD amp into the 2i4 and somehow hear how the effects on the reaper track will be affecting the signal while i play?
Jasipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:00 PM   #2
serr

Use two tracks. One with no plugins and recording the input (the default). One with your amp sim. Only monitor the amp sim when playing (ie. mute the dry track).

The amp sim track can be set to record the output (post fx) if you wish. If you have your hands on the controls and work things while you play, do this. Otherwise you can simply run the dry track through the fx to recreate the sim. Up to you how to handle that.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:29 PM   #3
Jasipi

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
One with your amp sim. Only monitor the amp sim when playing (ie. mute the dry track).

Not sure what you mean by this?
Old 05-30-2017, 02:47 AM   #4
Jasipi

Anyone?

I don't want to use the effects on the POD, which is fine except that i have to record the POD amp dry and then can only hear the effects on the Reaper track during playback, which kind of sucks.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:41 AM   #5
slipstick

Not sure what the problem is. Make two tracks, run the clean signal to one which you record. Create a send to the other track which has the FX on and that's the one you monitor.

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:18 AM   #6
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasipi View Post
Not sure what you mean by this?
You want to listen to the amp sim when you play right? Not the dry guitar signal? So... mute the dry guitar track. The track being set to 'record input' means you still get the recording as intended. (pre fader, thus pre mute)
Old 05-30-2017, 08:19 AM   #7
Jasipi

Ohh, i see. Monitor..

Well that definitely works in a way. Seems like i'm getting some kind of signal buildup though and it sounds like a chorus effect. When i try to do something extreme like use a bit crusher or something it sounds like it's putting a wet signal over a dry signal.

I'm not sure how this works? Basically i just want reverbs and delays to be on the Reaper track and have it all sound like a normal guitar amp type deal, with the POD providing the dry amp tone.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:43 AM   #8
serr

I think you're not realizing the bit where you can assign the same hardware input to multiple tracks in Reaper. That's what I'm telling you to do.

Assign your guitar input to two tracks.
Dial one up with the sim and whatever other fx you want to play through.
Set up the 2nd track dry and record the input. Mute it because you don't want to listen to this while you play. This is to record the dry guitar for you to reprocess after the fact like you asked.

You can record both tracks of course.
What you choose to listen to while recording (ie not mute) is up to you.

You can set Reaper to record the input to a track (before any fx as well as before the mute). That means anything you do with fx or volume or mute doesn't affect the recording of the input. This is the default setting.

You can set it to record the output from a track. This gets you a recording post any fx and post channel volume/mute. Do this to record the output from the sim track if you wish to keep that too. Understand that the volume and mute affect the recording in post fader.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:57 AM   #9
Jasipi

Still need help.

I can't figure it out. I have no idea what you're talking about when you say "dry' and "amp sim" in this context. The POD HD delivers an already wet signal into the left Line input on the 2i4 so if i have any reaper track set to "Input 1" it receives my POD signal. Unless that POD signal is what you mean when you say "dry signal" then there is no dry guitar signal, or any amp sim anywhere in Reaper.

If at anytime i try to monitor the guitar signal the POD HD is sending on any track or track receiving a send there is a phase effect. It seems to work with my QL Spaces reverb because i can turn the dry signal down but none of my other plugins let me do that.

If i'm still doing something wrong you will have to list instructions very specifically.

Last edited by Jasipi; 07-20-2017 at 04:31 AM.
Old 07-30-2017, 03:04 AM   #10
Jasipi

Figured it out. There is a switch on the 2i4 that lets you monitor through the PC. Unfortunately the latency bugs me so this function does not appeal to me so much anymore.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:49 AM   #11
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasipi View Post
Still need help.

I can't figure it out. I have no idea what you're talking about when you say "dry' and "amp sim" in this context. The POD HD delivers an already wet signal into the left Line input on the 2i4 so if i have any reaper track set to "Input 1" it receives my POD signal. Unless that POD signal is what you mean when you say "dry signal" then there is no dry guitar signal, or any amp sim anywhere in Reaper.

If at anytime i try to monitor the guitar signal the POD HD is sending on any track or track receiving a send there is a phase effect. It seems to work with my QL Spaces reverb because i can turn the dry signal down but none of my other plugins let me do that.

If i'm still doing something wrong you will have to list instructions very specifically.
Sorry, it looks like I thought you were using a software (plugin) amp sim. There was originally a comment about latency issues (which only is a thing when monitoring through the computer) so I assumed the two were connected and we were talking about a plugin amp sim.

Hardware unit?
- DI box for the dry guitar input.
- Output from the POD for the wet.

Record both (two channels into your interface). If you don't have a DI box, you'll need one to do this. (Does the POD also have a dry output you can use at the same time? If not, you'll need a DI box.)

You then have the option to reamp through the POD if you wish by playing back the recorded dry track and running it through the POD.

I'm calling the raw dry guitar (as it comes out the jack) 'dry' and the amp/sim/hardware sim output 'wet'.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:59 AM   #12
karbomusic

Quote:
I record a POD HD using lines into the front of a Focusrite 2i4. I don't want to use the POD USB (for input availability and latency reasons), and i don't want to record with effects that cannot be changed.
I haven't read all the replies but the problem is that you don't want to use the POD as an interface and you don't want to record the POD's output at record time - I get that, I don't use my POD HD1000 as an interface either since I already have an interface. However, the POD output is post FX of course. My HD1000 has a "Dry Out" which would solve that problem. If you don't have that, then you'd want to do either of the following..

1. Split your signal before the POD so that you have a dry signal that bypasses it and goes into the instrument in of the interface. That gives you an effected track and a dry track. This is one of the few reasons a direct box is a sane choice for recording guitar.

2. Bypass the POD completely, if you don't want it's sound at record time, there is no real value in using it at record time other than as a monitoring tool. If you need it for monitoring while playing, refer to #1.

3. If you want to try/audition/record POD sounds after you record the dry track, then you are going to have to re-amp in some fashion either using routing on your interface and/or ReaInsert etc. Personally, I'd just manually route it without ReaInsert, note the latency and make a one-time adjustment - it's quicker and less complex.

Since the POD is an external unit, you have no choice but to treat it like it were a real amp as far as routing etc. goes.

Last edited by karbomusic; 07-30-2017 at 08:05 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:54 AM   #13
ashcat_lt

Some Pods include a PodFarm license. If yours doesn't, it's only like $100 and then you don't need the damn thing at all. Course there are plenty of free options also.

Fix your latency problem! Adjust the buffer settings on the interface until you find something you can live with. If you're still using Windows 95, well...
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote