Old 01-12-2017, 12:57 PM   #1
Sibosop
Human being with feelings

Default ReaperKeyMap format?

I'm a newbie, so please be gentle. I wasn't sure which thread was best for this.
I'm doing a music project in which I want to control reaper from an outside python program. With a surprising minimum of pain and suffering, I managed to get my program talking to reaper through midi using an IAC channel (I'm using a mac). Might be using OSC in the future.

I was a bit horrified to realize that to attach midi events to reaper actions I had to go through a dialog box where I have to send a midi message *for* *each* of about a *thousand* actions.
I see that these setups can be saved in a ReaperKeyMap file, the format of which is not immediately obvious.
So. I was wondering if
1). Is there another way to set up actions that I haven't found yet?
2). Is there a doc that describes the ReaperKeyMap format so that I can hand edit it?
3). some other brilliant suggestion that I haven't contemplated in my vast ignorance

I didn't want to have to drag out my midi controller from the closet and so I had to write a python script that sends the messages to reaper, which is unpleasantly time consuming.

thanks for your support.
Sibosop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:22 PM   #2
Sibosop

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
My Reaper has 9697 actions. So which or how many you want to map where? And why? Best would be first knowing all output events of your hardware, then second what they should do in Reaper. And not to forget from those 9697 you can create another 10000 custom actions, if you want. What is available in Reaper are only the basic 'blocks' or atoms. Building new molecules is more fun.
I have no hardware. I have a program. Let's say I want to randomly whack mute buttons according the whims of my algorithm which is getting midi clocks from reaper. To do this simple thing I have to map 'toggle mute buttons' using the action dialog 16 (I currently have 16 tracks) times by sending it a control_message for each. I've got this working and it's hilarious but I dislike the setup. Would rather just edit the key file.

I looked at the reaScript stuff and it looks like I still have to do the mapping.

And 'why'? I'm subverting the dominant paradigm.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:15 PM   #3
Sibosop

Thanks!