cali
Human being with feelings

Default Lowest FX Monitoring Latency

Hello and good day,
Was wondering if I missed something;
Live track FX monitoring:
Track 1-Realtime FX-ReaVerb-Record Monitoring ON
Buffer Size 64 (not clicking)
Hardware: Tascam US 20x20 (USB 2), Windows 7 pro, Head phones out.

Still getting a slight latency, is this the best config for live FX monitoring?

Goal: Use Reaper for Live FX during Gigs, and possibly as the full mixer interface.

Thank your for your time and effort,
-Cali
cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 02:20 PM   #2
VinodXAgent

I would not use Reaverb (With IRs?) or any other Convolution Reverb for Live . But If you need to ,be sure to select ZL (Zero Latency) and LL in Reaverb. Or do I misunderstand you?.
Greetings from Hamburg
Vinod
VinodXAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 03:06 PM   #3
cali

VinodXAgent Thank you for the reply,
No I did not have ZL and LL selected, I Just tested it and Problem still occurring.
Also, Maybe I should elaborate more on what is needed.
Use Tascam US 20x20 as a Live Mixer for gigs
Record each input onto Reaper for later mix down of live gigs
Use Tacsam US 20x20 for Separate Main and Floor monitors Control
Main problem: Tascam Software only allows reverb from the Mains out, AUX BUS outs are dry only.
Hopes: To get a low enough latency with Reaper to not care, and use Reaper's FX and Routing per track to Control Mains vs Monitors
Open to all suggestions.
-Cali
Old 02-01-2017, 04:40 PM   #4
ashcat_lt

1) Conventional wisdom says don't put verb on the monitor send because it tends to compromise your gain-before-feedback

B) Is there a good reason you're using ReaVerb as an insert rather than a send? If it's off on its own track receiving from various tracks, it might be latent on its own, but shouldn't delay the individual tracks. It'll be like having a slightly longer pre-delay on the verb, which usually isn't much of an issue.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:36 PM   #5
cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
1) Conventional wisdom says don't put verb on the monitor send because it tends to compromise your gain-before-feedback

B) Is there a good reason you're using ReaVerb as an insert rather than a send? If it's off on its own track receiving from various tracks, it might be latent on its own, but shouldn't delay the individual tracks. It'll be like having a slightly longer pre-delay on the verb, which usually isn't much of an issue.
1) frankly I forgot that rule, but it seems half the singers I work with have to have reverb through their monitors in order to sing correctly.
B) lol, the reason is that I'm a noob . How would you configure say three vocal tracks using reverb in that manner? is there a link to a video or a guide?

-Cali
Old 02-01-2017, 06:57 PM   #6
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali View Post
1) frankly I forgot that rule, but it seems half the singers I work with have to have reverb through their monitors in order to sing correctly.
Yep! Then they want more monitor volume. Then it squeals at them and they get mad at you.
Quote:
B) lol, the reason is that I'm a noob . How would you configure say three vocal tracks using reverb in that manner? is there a link to a video or a guide?
Make a fourth track, insert the reverb plugin on it, and set it to 100% wet. In ReaVerb that means setting the "dry" knob to 0%. Click the I/O button for that track, create receives from the three vocal tracks.

This will have the verb going to the Master along with the other tracks. I'm not sure what you're doing to route to mains vs monitors. What I generally do is have two more tracks - one for foh and one for mons - each with their own hardware sends, and receiving only the tracks that I want to go to each.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:36 PM   #7
cali

Thank you for the quick reply.
I will try that out thank you very much. I'll post if I was able to do it or not.
Just to make sure I read that correctly the Fx will affect every single track in reaper? So for instance if I have a kick drum or a bass guitar in reaper that will also have reverb on it?

On the routing: in reaper I can route each track to different computer outs which will correspond with my physical outs on the US 20X20. It's a pretty cool feature if you ask me.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:22 PM   #8
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali View Post
Just to make sure I read that correctly the Fx will affect every single track in reaper? So for instance if I have a kick drum or a bass guitar in reaper that will also have reverb on it?
Well, no. If you do what I described, the verb will be on whatever you send to it. Except, it won't really be "on" those tracks, it'll be on its own track which you then can send wherever you need it to go.

If you really want everything in the mix to have reverb, it's probably easier to do it differently.

Quote:
On the routing: in reaper I can route each track to different computer outs which will correspond with my physical outs on the US 20X20. It's a pretty cool feature if you ask me.
K, but you're not going to want to route each track in the mix individually. It's usually a lot easier to set up a "mix bus" track for each (set of) outputs. Like I said, I usually do one for FOH and one for monitors, but if you want a couple different monitor mixes (for different parts of the stage), then you'll need however many tracks. This way, you adjust the mix at each using send/receive levels, and then adjust the overall volume for each using its own fader.

OTOH - If you really just want the same mix going to all of these outputs and reverb all over everything, it would be easiest to just add hardware outs to the Master and throw your reverb plug as an insert right there.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:56 AM   #9
cali

Ok, You know what I want to try and We are on the same page.
Tried this with know luck;
US20x20 Interface output settings to Computer out 1 and 2 for L and R
Reaper Track 1(MIC)-routing-computer out 1/2
Reaper Track 2(FX)-FX IN-ReaVerb, Routing-Send To Track 1
Tried Monitor on/off in different ways,
And was getting Metering on MIC Track and not FX Track.
What did I, well frankly F'd up?
-Cali
Old 02-05-2017, 02:00 PM   #10
cali

Went back at it today. Used this Video as Guide http://www.cockos.com/reaper/videos.php#8tgP8UCcd2o

Got the Bus Track to a passable latency, the used ReaVerb on the Bus track and that introduced way to much latency. Not suitable for my needs.
It is good that I know how to do the sends and routing correctly now.

Since my Solution 2 did not work, now to Find Solution 3...Use a Mixer with FX for the Vocal Mics...

Thank you for the effort
-Cali

Last edited by cali; 02-05-2017 at 09:17 PM.