Old 08-18-2016, 02:18 PM   #161
timothys_monster
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowellben View Post
Oh, hmm ok. I just thought you could copy from the default Reaper 5 theme and just put them in the Nitpicky and rezip. Worked for me. Sorry!
Alright, cool! Sorry, I thought there would be some waltering involved to get it to work. But it's literally just copy&paste. That's great!

Unfortunately, I have modded my own version quite a bit, so I couldn't send it to you now, Lokasenna. But maybe I'll find some time next week to copy the missing files to your original Nitpicky Theme and send you the ThemeZip.
timothys_monster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:47 PM   #162
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothys_monster View Post
Alright, cool! Sorry, I thought there would be some waltering involved to get it to work. But it's literally just copy&paste. That's great!

Unfortunately, I have modded my own version quite a bit, so I couldn't send it to you now, Lokasenna. But maybe I'll find some time next week to copy the missing files to your original Nitpicky Theme and send you the ThemeZip.
Thanks!!
Old 08-18-2016, 04:30 PM   #163
sostenuto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
If and when I ever get some free time, we'll see. White Tie also made a couple of changes a version or two back, and added some layouts I think, so it'd be nice to have them as well.

That said, if someone else wants to update the most recent version of Nitpicky with the latch preview images I'll be happy to upload it to the Stash link.
You're the man ! I'm stickin' with whom I trust. If you update, will download and have confidence ..... ;(
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:59 AM   #164
woggle

I think you have done a great job with this
woggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:57 PM   #165
Lokasenna

v9! Nothing much this time, I just added those images and the new Master layouts from the default theme.

I think it's now up to date with everything in the main theme. Let me know if I missed anything.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:04 PM   #166
lowellben

Quote:
v9! Nothing much this time, I just added those images and the new Master layouts from the default theme.

I think it's now up to date with everything in the main theme. Let me know if I missed anything.
Thanks so much, is it on the stash? The one that still says March 2016 is that v9 just not caught up to the new upload or?
Old 10-27-2016, 03:24 PM   #167
Lokasenna

I just re-uploaded it, it's definitely the right one now.
Old 10-27-2016, 04:10 PM   #168
lowellben

Quote:
I just re-uploaded it, it's definitely the right one now.
Thanks! Date looks good You rock!
Old 10-30-2016, 12:06 PM   #169
chrisdodge

Thanks for you theme ... my favorite one.

The only thing i missed (and i pray for that) is a folder layout which would be basically a narrow separator with a mute and solo buttons.
chrisdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 02:26 PM   #170
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdodge View Post
Thanks for you theme ... my favorite one.

The only thing i missed (and i pray for that) is a folder layout which would be basically a narrow separator with a mute and solo buttons.
In the track panel, or the mixer? The mixer has some Strip layouts that almost do that.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:16 AM   #171
chrisdodge

Yes, in the mixer, the strip almost do the job except :
- the volume fader is not wanted
- using the strip, it is not possible to use the "folder collapse/expand" icon... i guess this is a small bug, because it is possible to use it with the narrow separator.

There is something like i want in the fusion_RJ V1 theme (separator basic) but the folder icon is not present ... and i prefer your theme based on the original theme
Old 10-31-2016, 08:30 PM   #172
Lokasenna

Done. I've uploaded v10, with a new Strip Minimal layout in the mixer.

The issue with the folder button is a bug, indeed, but it's not really fixable without significant re-theming.

The problem is that, if the track number is on top of the folder button, it blocks the mouse from being able to click there. We used to have the same problem in the track panel, if a track was dragged as small as it could go, but White Tie fixed that a little while back by having it bump the number down to make room.

That fix doesn't work here, unfortunately, because bumping numbers over to the side pushes them out of the panel, so I just told it to draw the folder button in front instead. Downside, no number on the folder for that layout.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:01 PM   #173
lowellben

Quote:
Done. I've uploaded v10, with a new Strip Minimal layout in the mixer.

The issue with the folder button is a bug, indeed, but it's not really fixable without significant re-theming.

The problem is that, if the track number is on top of the folder button, it blocks the mouse from being able to click there. We used to have the same problem in the track panel, if a track was dragged as small as it could go, but White Tie fixed that a little while back by having it bump the number down to make room.

That fix doesn't work here, unfortunately, because bumping numbers over to the side pushes them out of the panel, so I just told it to draw the folder button in front instead. Downside, no number on the folder for that layout.
I understand what you write but FYI the number IS on the folder for that layout. Strip Minimal layout in the mixer = icon and number.

Absolutely. See? The recently added as of 11/1 "strip" layout has both icon and number. No Downside like you mentioned right?

Is this correct appearance? Looks wonky Track 2. I was expecting as you said, just the folder icon on this mixer layout. That would be beautiful and the best choice considering the bug you mentioned. Is it possible to have just the folder icon on this mixer layout? So cool

Attached Images
File Type: png mix.png (2.1 KB, 1269 views)
Old 10-31-2016, 09:14 PM   #174
Lokasenna

I'm really confused. I don't have that little icon visible on any of my MCP tracks, even in just Default 5.

Edit:

Oh, I see. In the Action List, there's this:
Code:
Mixer: Clickable icon for folder tracks to show/hide children
You've got it turned off. The code is behaving correctly, but because that image is transparent it still shows the number.

Turning off track numbers is easy as hell if you wanted to, though. Just take any layout, find the line where trackidx is set, and change the setting to just [0]. See the two Separator layouts in Nitpicky for an example.

Last edited by Lokasenna; 10-31-2016 at 09:24 PM.
Lokasenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:27 PM   #175
lowellben

Quote:
I'm really confused. I don't have that little icon visible on any of my MCP tracks, even in just Default 5.

Edit:

Oh, I see. In the Action List, there's this:
Code:
Mixer: Clickable icon for folder tracks to show/hide children
You've got it turned off. The code is behaving correctly, but because that image is transparent it still shows the number.

Turning off track numbers is easy as hell if you wanted to, though. Just take any layout, find the line where trackidx is set, and change the setting to just [0]. See the two Separator layouts in Nitpicky for an example.
Interesting thanks for that tidbit. I don't mind enabling that option though, it's the easiest way to get your layout I don't need the children action, thanks!!
Old 11-01-2016, 12:43 PM   #176
chrisdodge

Thanks you so much ! That is exactly what i'm looking for !
Old 11-21-2016, 10:27 AM   #177
lucas_LCS

I changed the Volume, Pan and Width knobs for my R5 default.
feel free to use them if you want.

Last edited by lucas_LCS; 03-17-2020 at 07:16 PM.
lucas_LCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:55 AM   #178
hermitcrab

Thank you very much Lokasenna ,

Just what i wanted too.

much obliged. You're the dude !
hermitcrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:44 AM   #179
matthewbarnhart

I finally discovered this theme a couple of days ago and I'm really, really loving it. Thanks so much!! My only current quibble is the tinting of peaks in media items.

Attached are the same media item in Nitpicky and the Default 5.x theme. The peaks are really hard to read in Nitpicky.

Does anyone know of a solution? I tried every possible combination of media item tinting in Preferences (as far as I could see), but no dice.

This is REAPER 5.40, Mac OS X 10.11.6.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 1.33.33 PM.png (24.5 KB, 329 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 1.33.28 PM.png (25.2 KB, 306 views)
matthewbarnhart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:56 AM   #180
Lokasenna

Look in Options | Preferences | Appearance | Peaks/Waveforms and fiddle with the "Draw edges on..." settings.

I've got the Antialiasing option checked and all of the Draw Edges ones unchecked, looks pretty good here.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:46 PM   #181
matthewbarnhart

Quote:
Look in Options | Preferences | Appearance | Peaks/Waveforms and fiddle with the "Draw edges on..." settings.

I've got the Antialiasing option checked and all of the Draw Edges ones unchecked, looks pretty good here.
Apologies, just realized I never thanked you for this! All good now.
matthewbarnhart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 06:38 AM   #182
Robert Randolph

A suggestion:

Perhaps fix the varied colours on the transport_bg (and add toolbar_bg with the same color)?

I attempted this myself, however I still have rather annoying rgb(49, 49, 49) outlines around elements as seen. I've been unable to locate the source of that... but it's an improvement.

Before:

After:

It'd be much nicer if it was just a solid colour with text, or if there were proper delineators for the elements.

The default just sucks.

(I attached the transport_bg.png for this, and I simply duplicated that as toolbar_bg.png as well to make the main toolbar blend in with the transport.)

edit:

Almost had it looking right, but the time signature box turns black anytime I add/change transport_edit_bg.png. transport_group_bg.png changes add black bars on the side of it.

edit 2: All working.

No more ugly rgb(49,49,49) lines. Just a smooth seamless transport and main toolbar.

So I had to create the following files with a full value of rgb(43,43,43)
  • transport_bg.png
  • transport_bpm_bg.png
  • transport_bpm.png
  • transport_edit_bg.png
  • transport_group_bg.png

Then remove the line "set trans.curtimesig.color [. . . . 43 43 43 255]" from rtconfig.txt. This seems to cause issues if transport_group_bg.png and/or transport_edit_bg.png are provided.

Even if my idea isn't accepted in to the nitpicky theme, something needs to be done about the transport.
Attached Images
File Type: png transport_bg.png (1.2 KB, 339 views)

Last edited by Robert Randolph; 04-15-2017 at 07:28 AM.
Robert Randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:59 AM   #183
Lokasenna

I agree that it looks... inconsistent? Out of place? Definitely could stand a bit of sprucing up.

That said, to me the theme suffers from a lack of contrast already so a solution should ideally add detail rather than flatten it more.

I had a look at the Default 4 theme and noticed that its transport bar uses the same style of background as the toolbar buttons, so I had a quick go at applying that logic to the Transport Status element:

It needs a bit of tinkering - some padding on the left edge of the panel, for instance, and maybe shrinking the panel to match the toolbars (v4 does this too) - but I think it looks pretty sharp. I'll probably do it for my personal version of the theme, at any rate.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:33 PM   #184
Robert Randolph

Quote:
I agree that it looks... inconsistent? Out of place? Definitely could stand a bit of sprucing up.

That said, to me the theme suffers from a lack of contrast already so a solution should ideally add detail rather than flatten it more.

I had a look at the Default 4 theme and noticed that its transport bar uses the same style of background as the toolbar buttons, so I had a quick go at applying that logic to the Transport Status element:

It needs a bit of tinkering - some padding on the left edge of the panel, for instance, and maybe shrinking the panel to match the toolbars (v4 does this too) - but I think it looks pretty sharp. I'll probably do it for my personal version of the theme, at any rate.
I definitely think that your idea is much better. The BPM, time sig and selection boxes should have some sort of graphical delineation as well I think. The main toolbar background is also inconsistent.

I just wanted to get rid of that faint light grey that just looks terrible, and learn a bit more about theming in the process.

Please share what you do for your personal theme at, since I feel that this is a big improvement. (and since I'm clearly a super-newbie at this theming stuff still.)
Old 04-16-2017, 05:50 PM   #185
Lokasenna

Updated.
  • Most of the transport elements use the same visual style as the toolbar buttons, as per the image just above this.
  • The "blank" image used for toolbar buttons with text labels wasn't being stretched correctly for double-width buttons. Fixed.

https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1621/De...icky%20Edition
Old 04-17-2017, 06:08 AM   #186
Robert Randolph

Quote:
Updated.
  • Most of the transport elements use the same visual style as the toolbar buttons, as per the image just above this.
  • The "blank" image used for toolbar buttons with text labels wasn't being stretched correctly for double-width buttons. Fixed.

https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1621/De...icky%20Edition
Great improvement!

Is there anything that can be done to improve the playback rate slider as well? It still sticks out.

There's also a line of darker grey starting around the time signature button and running left. It's the same colour as the playback rate slider background, and looks rather odd.

I hope this isn't too nit picky for the nit picky edition
Old 04-17-2017, 09:05 PM   #187
Lokasenna

- I can't reproduce that issue here, with any of the three Transport layouts.

- I just spent an hour trying to make the playrate label + slider look nicer, but there's just not much that can be done without significantly rearranging things. If it helps, using the small layout or shrinking the transport bar below 30px will switch it to a knob. (Might also be a preference somewhere)
Old 04-18-2017, 06:29 AM   #188
lowellben

Quote:

- I just spent an hour trying to make the playrate label + slider look nicer, but there's just not much that can be done without significantly rearranging things. If it helps, using the small layout or shrinking the transport bar below 30px will switch it to a knob. (Might also be a preference somewhere)
Funny, I have the same issue. It's certainly there. A distinct line across the transport and time sig box. It's 50% dark and light, cut right in half. Wasn't there before. What caused it? Can we fix it? Kinda looks hackish and silly. You don't agree? You believe it looks uniform?

The entire transport and time sig boxes are just sliced in half and look funky. Just trying to help here. All sizes in layout fyi show this, it's not just large.

Your nitpicky v10 or whatever earlier absolutely did not have this issue, it is a new issue with your recent update from just now. Hope this helps you pinpoint the issue and fix. For now I have to go back to v10 because of this.

NEW VERSION:

OLD v10 previouses:
Old 04-18-2017, 06:42 AM   #189
Robert Randolph

Quote:
Funny, I have the same issue. It's certainly there. A distinct line across the transport and time sig box. It's 50% dark and light, cut right in half. Wasn't there before. What caused it? Can we fix it? Kinda looks hackish and silly. You don't agree? You believe it looks uniform?

The entire transport and time sig boxes are just sliced in half and look funky. Just trying to help here. All sizes in layout fyi show this, it's not just large.

Your nitpicky v10 or whatever earlier absolutely did not have this issue, it is a new issue with your recent update from just now. Hope this helps you pinpoint the issue and fix. For now I have to go back to v10 because of this.

NEW VERSION:

OLD v10 previouses:
Old version has the line on the left and right side too, but not near the time signature or BPM controls.

I would be inclined to think that it's just a delineator for the element below it, but it doesn't run across consistently.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:46 AM   #190
Robert Randolph

Quote:
Perhaps it's only if the transport is "Top of Main Window"?

It's strange here though, because the line doesn't line-up with any of the elements to the right.

Quote:
I don't think that you can re-size the transport when it's positioned "Top of Main Window" (which is what made me think of the above).

Perhaps just changing the playrate slider background would make it seem better somehow... I don't know.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:01 AM   #191
lowellben

I agree RR.

My images clearly show the glitch in the transport shading, but I too have my transport on top. Does that really make the glitch appear? Do I have to relocate my transport?

RATE
METER
TRANSPORT

All 3 of those boxes are glitched out with the line across them. The BPM window seems ok at least the numbers are not cut in half like the other boxes.

Last edited by lowellben; 04-18-2017 at 07:14 AM.
lowellben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:19 AM   #192
Robert Randolph

Quote:
I agree RR.

My images clearly show the glitch in the transport shading, but I too have my transport on top. Does that really make the glitch appear? Do I have to relocate my transport?

RATE
METER
TRANSPORT

All 3 of those boxes are glitched out with the line across them. The BPM window seems ok at least the numbers are not cut in half like the other boxes.
Yeah. "Top of main window" and "Above ruler" make that line appear.

If you dock it in a docker then it goes away.

No idea if anything can be done about this. Lokasenna, save us?
Old 04-18-2017, 08:41 AM   #193
Ozman

Looks like it takes on the appearance/glare of buttons.

It's not distracting for me though.
Ozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:23 AM   #194
lowellben

It literally cuts arguably the most important aspects of the transport bar in half and is odd to look at when you work in a DAW for 10 hours a day everyday imho.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:46 AM   #195
Lokasenna

What you're seeing is the thing I changed in v10, @lowellben - the transport status, tap tempo, time signature, and selection length boxes get the same styling as toolbar buttons rather than the flat, barely-any-contrast background they had before. I think it's meant to look like a bezel on top of the button/readout, and it's consistent with the light-from-above shading on the transport buttons.

IMO it looks way nicer: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wc56hy3dny...tyles.png?dl=0, but I can maybe change it to an optional layout if it's a problem for anyone.

@RobertRandolph's picture shows a weird border around the time sig box and a darker grey extending from the playrate slider off to the left. It's hard to see, since the picture is small, but THAT'S the bug, and I can't get it show up here.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:21 AM   #196
lowellben

Quote:
What you're seeing is the thing I changed in v10, @lowellben - the transport status, tap tempo, time signature, and selection length boxes get the same styling as toolbar buttons rather than the flat, barely-any-contrast background they had before. I think it's meant to look like a bezel on top of the button/readout, and it's consistent with the light-from-above shading on the transport buttons.
Thanks for the response, let me see if I get this please.

So you know that the transport "line" across happens no matter where the transport is - top bottom wherever, it just happens. It's not tinted or embossed just, a flat simple straight line as in my screenshot. Nothing can be done at this time, yes? Is there a way to get the bezel effect like you had hoped for, because as of now it's just a flat line. All toolbars and transports just look chopped in half, sorry. I personally wish you had kept the nice solid divider changes for all the borders of boxes and stuff, just no line across. Increased contrast around transport boxes etc - only.

IMO that would be sexy Either way, big thanks!
Old 04-18-2017, 10:36 AM   #197
Lokasenna

Your screenshot is correct, aside from that bug with the dark line.

There are a couple of images with a smoother gradient (look at the shading on the Start and End buttons, for instance) that I could try instead.

As for the bug... from what I can tell that line is ALWAYS there, even in the Default 5 theme, but my image for the time signature box is cutting into it... which shouldn't happen, because the image is transparent at the bottom. I'll see what I can do.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:41 PM   #198
Blankfiles

When I use default theme that's this theme I use, love it and beautifull work!! new transportbar Rock... lots of ameliorations and easy to work with
Blankfiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:41 PM   #199
Lokasenna

Updated to v12.

As per the discussion above this post, I gave the transport status, bpm, selection, etc elements a gradient rather than matching the toolbar buttons.

I've also "fixed" the dark line bug by removing it from the transport bar entirely until someone finds a way to keep the time sig box from cutting it out.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:02 PM   #200
Robert Randolph

Quote:
Updated to v12.

As per the discussion above this post, I gave the transport status, bpm, selection, etc elements a gradient rather than matching the toolbar buttons.
Gradient looks wonderful!

Quote:
I've also "fixed" the dark line bug by removing it from the transport bar entirely until someone finds a way to keep the time sig box from cutting it out.
Sorry to break it to you, but the dark line is actually thicker now (and not continuous across the whole toolbar)

However! With the new time signature setup, it's much less bothersome.