Old 02-15-2017, 08:26 AM   #1
JoostJanssensDS
Human being with feelings

Default How to set midi sends sequentially?

I've been looking for this all over, but I've been unable to find this. Basically, what I want to do is create a VEPro instance, with four instruments on four instrument busses.

Then, I want to create 16 midi tracks for each bus. Each bus goes in 1-1, 1-2, 1-3 etc.

Problem is that I can find a way or shortcut to do this automatically. I have to go into every send and set this for every single track I use. I guess I'm missing something here, and if anyone could help me out I'd be very grateful!

Thanks in advance!
JoostJanssensDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:32 AM   #2
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoostJanssensDS View Post
I've been looking for this all over, but I've been unable to find this. Basically, what I want to do is create a VEPro instance, with four instruments on four instrument busses.

Then, I want to create 16 midi tracks for each bus. Each bus goes in 1-1, 1-2, 1-3 etc.

Problem is that I can find a way or shortcut to do this automatically. I have to go into every send and set this for every single track I use. I guess I'm missing something here, and if anyone could help me out I'd be very grateful!
Are you talking about the VSL Vienna Ensemble library?

How are you loading the VSTi into Reaper. If you doing it by using "Insert virtual instrument on new track", you should be getting a widow prompt, that asks if you want to create the outputs for it.

However, if you're using it as a plugin, you can open the plugin window and click on options in the top menu. Then select "Build mulitchannel routing for output of selected FX..".
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 02:21 PM   #3
JoostJanssensDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Are you talking about the VSL Vienna Ensemble library?

How are you loading the VSTi into Reaper. If you doing it by using "Insert virtual instrument on new track", you should be getting a widow prompt, that asks if you want to create the outputs for it.

However, if you're using it as a plugin, you can open the plugin window and click on options in the top menu. Then select "Build mulitchannel routing for output of selected FX..".
Thanks for your help Tod, but this is not what I meant. What I meant is using VEPro for hosting the instruments outside of Reaper. The problem is, building 16 channels of midi routing is only on bus 1. So, in a multi bus configuration, all the channels would be 1-1 all the way to 1-16. That I can do. However, since Reaper supports multiple midi busses, you can also route 2-1 to 2-16 and so on. However, I'm looking for an easy, quick way to do this, without having to manually go in and to this with every single midi channel (if you have up to 700 midi sends, you know why this is very, very tedious).

In Cubase for example, one can make a midi track, and route it to 2-1 for example. After that, creating 15 more midi tracks routes them automatically to 2-2 up to 2-16. Same for 3-1 to 3-16, 4-1 to for 4-16 and so on, up to 64 midi busses per instance of the VEPro plugin (VEPro connects to a VEPro instance via a plugin within your daw, for more information). Just to make it clear , in my examples the first number being the bus, the second number being the channel.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:35 PM   #4
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoostJanssensDS View Post
Thanks for your help Tod, but this is not what I meant. What I meant is using VEPro for hosting the instruments outside of Reaper. The problem is, building 16 channels of midi routing is only on bus 1. So, in a multi bus configuration, all the channels would be 1-1 all the way to 1-16. That I can do. However, since Reaper supports multiple midi busses, you can also route 2-1 to 2-16 and so on. However, I'm looking for an easy, quick way to do this, without having to manually go in and to this with every single midi channel (if you have up to 700 midi sends, you know why this is very, very tedious).

In Cubase for example, one can make a midi track, and route it to 2-1 for example. After that, creating 15 more midi tracks routes them automatically to 2-2 up to 2-16. Same for 3-1 to 3-16, 4-1 to for 4-16 and so on, up to 64 midi busses per instance of the VEPro plugin (VEPro connects to a VEPro instance via a plugin within your daw, for more information). Just to make it clear , in my examples the first number being the bus, the second number being the channel.
Okay, and hi JoostJanssensDS, welcome to the forum.

So I'm still a little confused, are you using a VSTi in like a "stand-a-lone" mode?

In all honesty I've never done that, and I've also never used the buses. I assume you mean the buses that show up in the drop down menu in the tracks input/output window. Is that right.

If I'm understanding correctly, you can probably setup track templates to do what you need to do. You can set them up once and then load them into any project.

With a little imagination, you can do a lot of things with the templates. For example I've got a certain setup for Kontakt the has some instruments I use a lot. Also some of these instruments use a lot of controllers, so I save the template with both the Kontakt outputs and some of the midi tracks. Then in the midi tracks I include a short midi item with all the defaults for the controllers. I'll also include Notenames and any keyswitches that might be part of it.

To create templates for your setup the way you want it, set up all the tracks you want to use for it. Then select all the tracks that are part of it, right click on one of them, and select "Save tracks as track template". It'll open a Reaper folder where you can save your templates. You can also create subfolders to better manage them.

Does that sound like it might work?
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:43 AM   #5
JoostJanssensDS

Thanks for the help, Tod! I'm glad to finally be part of this forum. So many helpful people here!

This track template idea might be one that actually works. Set it up once, load it up when needed. Sounds very good, I'll try that!