Old 01-24-2017, 11:22 AM   #1
babag
Human being with feelings

Default stem render question

i have a surround mix that i'd like to get stems for. when i render the master mix currently i get a six channel wav file. is there a setting that will allow this to be output as six files rather than the single, six channel wav?

thanks,
BabaG
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:33 AM   #2
serr

A setting? No. (Too many variables to assume.)

Route your mix to 6 mono tracks. Render those.

Preparing a master for Discwelder Chrome MLP encoder by chance?
(Old clunky DVDA app that needs separate mono channels. But it's free.)
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:44 AM   #3
babag

thanks, serr. no. elements for a stereo fold-down from the surround. film. i actually already have submix channels already for the various stems i need. was feeling like it might be a little more secure to render all these through the master than from these subs that precede it, though.

thanks,
BabaG
Old 01-25-2017, 11:12 AM   #4
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Preparing a master for Discwelder Chrome MLP encoder by chance?
(Old clunky DVDA app that needs separate mono channels. But it's free.)
Hi serr,
are you sure? (that Discwelder Chrome is free ???)

akademie
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:48 AM   #5
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
Hi serr,
are you sure? (that Discwelder Chrome is free ???)

akademie
It's an old product by a company no longer developing it and traded for free.

If you have no budget for the $1200 authoring suites, you cobble Discwelder Chrome for DVDA and tsMuxer for bluray. tsMuxer isn't bad to use actually. Discwelder is a half finished cobbled together mess (as well as only a Windows version). But again, free and gets the job done.

Really hoping Reaper catches up to this and starts including this basic functionality in the render window (like they do for the CD authoring options).
Old 01-26-2017, 03:06 AM   #6
akademie

Well, that's interesting, serr.
Then, could you, share here the OFFICIAL link from where the "Discwelder Chrome" installer can be LEGALLY downloaded, please?
I cannot find any information you gave about making this discontinued software free for any user.

Thanks a lot
akademie
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 07:36 AM   #7
Csabb

This may be of some use to you:

http://dvd-audio.sourceforge.net/

Or not.
Csabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 09:03 AM   #8
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
Well, that's interesting, serr.
Then, could you, share here the OFFICIAL link from where the "Discwelder Chrome" installer can be LEGALLY downloaded, please?
I cannot find any information you gave about making this discontinued software free for any user.

Thanks a lot
akademie
There's no 'official' download as it isn't a supported and sold product. Just people trading their old copies on forums. Technically I suppose this is a grey area just like out of print music releases. I can upload it to a cloud account and share if you want a copy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csabb View Post
This may be of some use to you:

http://dvd-audio.sourceforge.net/

Or not.
Thanks for the tip!
I would like something more user friendly myself.

Edit: Looks like a bit of DIY here though too. Is there a compiled OSX GUI?

Bluray authoring is SO much easier!
But not everyone has a bluray drive (or supported standalone hardware player) so DVDA is still the preferred release format for a lot of people.

Man... Reaper really needs to step up and include these formats in the render window!

Last edited by serr; 01-26-2017 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:24 PM   #9
babag

sorry for the long delay but i do appreciate the responses.

serr, the mono tracks would be a good solution but for two things. first, i'm running anomaly's surround limiter on my master mix so i really need something like 'render master mix channels to separate files.' actually surprised not to have found it in the render window. second, i thought reaper didn't have mono tracks. when i look for them all i find is 2 channel options.

for now i've been rendering 6 channel wavs and using waveagent to split them out to mono files. would be nice to be able to do it straight through the master mix. i'm on v5.21/64 on w10pro fwiw.

thanks again and sorry for the long delay. don't mean to seem ungrateful. it just got busy.
BabaG
Old 02-17-2017, 07:50 AM   #10
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by babag View Post
sorry for the long delay but i do appreciate the responses.

serr, the mono tracks would be a good solution but for two things. first, i'm running anomaly's surround limiter on my master mix so i really need something like 'render master mix channels to separate files.' actually surprised not to have found it in the render window. second, i thought reaper didn't have mono tracks. when i look for them all i find is 2 channel options.

for now i've been rendering 6 channel wavs and using waveagent to split them out to mono files. would be nice to be able to do it straight through the master mix. i'm on v5.21/64 on w10pro fwiw.

thanks again and sorry for the long delay. don't mean to seem ungrateful. it just got busy.
BabaG
Route your 'master mix' track to 6 mono tracks. Label said tracks with channel names so you can use the wildcard feature in the render window for naming.

I've had that Wave Agent app for a long time. Since upgrading from Protools to Reaper years ago now I haven't had to use it much anymore.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:48 AM   #11
babag

hmm. i always assumed my master was the last thing in the chain. haven't figured out how to route the master to somewhere, like additional tracks, other than hardware outs. if you're assuming i have a single track receiving the mix before it goes to the 'mixer master,' i don't. i do have sub mixes for the multi-channels and have tried selecting them and rendering stems from them but the wavs produced from that process were wrong. some were empty, etc.

a bit more detail on the routing to additional tracks from the 'master' (and exactly how you're using the term 'master' - i'm using it to refer to the reaper 'mixer master') is much appreciated.

thanks for all the help,
BabaG
Old 02-17-2017, 11:58 AM   #12
serr

You can label your tracks as you please of course.

Don't use the default Reaper master track. Route everything (buses, tracks, etc) to your own master track instead. Then the mono tracks downstream of that. Use the Reaper master just for a hardware output bus. You would have the choice of routing either your 5.1 master track or from the mono tracks to the hardware master. The former being quicker. You can leave the outputs of the mono tracks unrouted since you're just using them for render targets.

The routing matrix will make de-routing from the hardware master and re-routing to your new 5.1 master track take about 5 seconds.

That will also improve performance because plugins on the hardware master is inefficient in Reaper and not recommended.