Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 02-23-2017, 10:45 AM   #81
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings

The request has existed for years. Devs definitely saw it more than once but possibly decided against implementing it, in light of ReaControlMIDI etc.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:05 AM   #82
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinemascore View Post
Silly question maybe - but how does a FR like this catch more attention of Justin and the other coders that could actually implement?

This one alone would save me HOURS of editing time doing film and TV scoring in REAPER, drawing/shaping/editing up to a hundred CC11s over as many MIDI tracks in a given cue.

I desperately need this. Please consider adding!
As I wrote above: If there are specific MIDI editing actions that you are missing in REAPER, you can try asking over at the Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto subforum, or even in this thread. Most likely, someone would be able to help you find the REAPER equivalent.

Between all the built-in mouse modifier "Smart Tools", the SWS extension actions, and the ReaPack scripts, you have everything (and more) that is necessary for fast and fluent MIDI editing.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:40 AM   #83
Cinemascore

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
As I wrote above: If there are specific MIDI editing actions that you are missing in REAPER, you can try asking over at the Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto subforum, or even in this thread. Most likely, someone would be able to help you find the REAPER equivalent.

Between all the built-in mouse modifier "Smart Tools", the SWS extension actions, and the ReaPack scripts, you have everything (and more) that is necessary for fast and fluent MIDI editing.
Your scripts look very impressive for sure. Thanks for the information and resources.

It still would be great just to have the option inline and ready to draw/edit CCs as breakpoint automation. Simple and easy peasy.
Cinemascore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 04:35 PM   #84
Cinemascore

I'm not going to get this one get too buried (if I can help it).

With all of the current automation work going on within the beta channel, I hope this will eventually translate into getting implemented in the MIDI editor / CC lanes.

I can dream!
Cinemascore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:46 AM   #85
mpl

Displaying CC lanes is wrong since they are trigger messages even is this looks ugly. The only thing Cockos can implement is manually/zoom-depending change for width of lanes:

and

mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 06:54 AM   #86
Germps112

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Let me know when S1 gets bezier curves for automation.
What u gonna do then, what you gonna do?
Germps112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 10:43 PM   #87
Quasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinemascore View Post
I'm not going to get this one get too buried (if I can help it).

With all of the current automation work going on within the beta channel, I hope this will eventually translate into getting implemented in the MIDI editor / CC lanes.

I can dream!
I agree. Let's bump this to the top again.
Quasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:17 AM   #88
_Stevie_

I'm highly against curves. With Julian's MIDI scripts, CC editing is far more flexible than simple curves could ever be. And as ED already pointed out, curves are interpolated and do not reflect the real values.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:57 AM   #89
Mordi

I would love to be able to use curves to edit MIDI CC values. It's a bit of a pain to do curves manually using the freehand drawing technique.
Mordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:24 AM   #90
EvilDragon

You can already do that via ReaControlMIDI, if you really want it NOW.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:18 PM   #91
Mordi

You mean using an envelope in the arrange-view that to control MIDI CC?
It would be interesting to attempt using that as a workflow. A major downside would be all those instances of ReaControlMIDI. There would be hundreds of them.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:28 PM   #92
EvilDragon

That's true, however they aren't exactly CPU hogs
Old 10-07-2018, 02:30 AM   #93
rvrv

Maybe for Reaper 6.0 ???

Please guys ditch those ugly CC bars already - its not 1980's anymore...

We want what every other respected DAW on the market has for years...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf2kyLrj2Xg

It breaks my heart watching this...
rvrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:44 AM   #94
_Stevie_

I had the same opinion some time ago, but in the meanwhile I would rather keep the bars, since it's a more accurate representation of the data. And we would lose all the wonderful scripts Julian wrote.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:49 AM   #95
Eddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
I had the same opinion some time ago, but in the meanwhile I would rather keep the bars, since it's a more accurate representation of the data. And we would lose all the wonderful scripts Julian wrote.
Why would you lose all the Julian scripts? Also all the data is discrete within the computer, what counts for representations is more how useful they are rather than how "accurate" the representation is. Few drivers wish to know the different wheel speeds as they drive through bends and corners - what counts is the speed of the vehicle - which most often is "felt" via optical flows on the retina
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:34 AM   #96
Mordi

I think MIDI CC-editing can be generally improved. It's great to be able to draw it in. However, sometimes you try to draw a shape that you have in mind which can be tricky to do with a mouse.

Sometimes I feel like I should be able to warp what's already there. Scaling the existing shapes a bit.

I guess I should try the scripts that a user made here a while ago, which tried to implement these kinds of features.

Here are some feature ideas:

https://imgur.com/a/WslfxW6

This is how it looks as of version 5.971.

Idea > Linear interpolation between points

Idea > Applying tension to make a curve - just like automation envelopes
Old 03-03-2019, 11:02 AM   #97
dupont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordi View Post
I think MIDI CC-editing can be generally improved. It's great to be able to draw it in. However, sometimes you try to draw a shape that you have in mind which can be tricky to do with a mouse.

Sometimes I feel like I should be able to warp what's already there. Scaling the existing shapes a bit.

I guess I should try the scripts that a user made here a while ago, which tried to implement these kinds of features.

Here are some feature ideas:

https://imgur.com/a/WslfxW6

This is how it looks as of version 5.971.

Idea > Linear interpolation between points

Idea > Applying tension to make a curve - just like automation envelopes
I want this now !
dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 12:02 PM   #98
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordi View Post

Yes, you should try them, because they do exactly that
Old 03-03-2019, 12:06 PM   #99
_Stevie_

Julian's scripts are beyond what any DAW out there can do.
I was an advocate of interpolated CC curves before, but I don't
see any reason for it anymore.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:40 PM   #100
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
I want this now !

+1.1 -yes please-but do it logically- continous control for smooth slides- and keep the bars for toggle controls-- because both are usefull in practice..

Quote:
Yes, you should try them, because they do exactly that

^incorrect- would you care to please explain this following img if that's the case?

^ it's the same for gofer's cc smoothing-- it just does not interact with these cc lane types..

Quote:

^ heh-see above-- + if you fully realize that stepped cc will give stepped responses over time-(zipper effects as higher speeds,because the modulations are increasing to audio rates!!) - this is usually fine for 'toggles' such as programme change or hold sustain or what else like that,because people dont automate them at audio rate speeds..see>?
the devs would do better responding to others in some regards as than those that follow with brown noses..eh..lol.

other daws do not need these scripts to give user what they wanted..

+ 1 cannot even read any values pre bar currently-- the only visual clues a user gets is the mouse pointer positions in top left-(which is close to useless for precision edits) or by clicking multi times for per note event details.. crazy..

it would also be nice to be able to view all events per selection-both just 1 per note..please give us strengths !! heh
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 12:57 PM   #101
EvilDragon

CCs will always be stepped, no matter how you display them on the interface! They are always going to be 128 or 16384 values, no matter how smooth curve you use to show it, it needs to be quantized eventually. I value more accurate bar representation because then you actually know when the event is sent.

Also, automating CCs at audio rate? What crack are you smoking? That is just bound to create problems with just about anything out there. MIDI is a relatively low speed protocol (3125 bytes per second), forget about audio rate there

And the explanation for the image is easy, you didn't use the script correctly.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:58 PM   #102
_Stevie_

Yes...127 steps...
Might change with MIDI 2.0

Bri1: have you updated to the latest build? There was some bug.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:37 PM   #103
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
What crack are you smoking?

And the explanation for the image is easy, you didn't use the script correctly.

heh- well mods should recognize that as an uprovoked,personally slanderous remark about a persons character =1 weeks ban at least imo.
no if,or buts. lol.
i used it as it was working elsewhere..just so happens it does not here..so eh? wut?

Quote:
There was some bug.

heh-which bug out of the many 1 wonders..tired of bugs-- just want working.no bugs please.
midi2 might come,but will cockos respond immediately,or,years after the event passes>? who knows but a brownnose i suppose.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:56 PM   #104
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri1 View Post
^incorrect- would you care to please explain this following img if that's the case?
Are you using an Apple DAW? There was a temporary glitch with macOS compatibility (due to some undocumented weirdness in the ReaScript API that we recently discovered) that should be fixed tomorrow.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:36 PM   #105
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
Are you using an Apple DAW?

hey-oh no-winx64--maybe it could be listed in description- "does not work with"_blahblah lanes>> reaper shows these as lanes-but not cc ..it's a bit confusing in total for end users tbh..
some may consider these other params as 'performance controllers' or w/e.. they come 1st in reapers cc listings but are not quite the same>?
tbh- have little working experience with any of these scripts you provided and am not knocking anything,or any1 at all.totally awesome for some yes.

it's just confusing for end users all these bars/cc data even with quite a bit of experience using them in reaper..it's all gravy and the cookie crumbles the way it does..
find myself deleting bars when all i want to know is their value or w/e.. gotta select+click/view events etc etc =painfull..please see that.

*edit4img> this list? is all good?

Last edited by Bri1; 03-03-2019 at 03:44 PM. Reason: img
Old 03-04-2019, 06:09 AM   #106
Vagelis

How about an option to have both views and display cc how we want?
In cubase you can extract the midi cc to automation lanes but outside the midi item.
In reaper i would prefer if we could change the view inside the midi item.
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 06:12 AM   #107
Vagalume

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Julian's scripts are really welcome but they can't fix the issue ... come on Stevie ...
Vagalume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:50 AM   #108
Lorbakounet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagalume View Post
they can't fix the issue ... come on Stevie ...
They can and they do.
Coupled with other tools, LFO, compressing/expanding, smoothing, and now with fine articulations/keyswitches UI add-ons, various notes trimming/duplicating, chord track, scale tools, Reaper, thanks to its awesome community has become the most powerful and time-saving music creation software.
I was on the verge of switching to Cubase a couple of years ago, since cockos dev seemed to have lost interest in Midi but they did way better than that : they improved their API/SDK so that people like Julian, X-Raym, mpl, Lokasenna, Musobob and others could unleash their know-how.
It has now reached a stage of maturity, and if you haven't taken the time to give them a chance, well you're losing a big opportunity to improve your workflow.
Lorbakounet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 04:11 AM   #109
Vagalume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorbakounet View Post
They can and they do.

I have to admit that I tried those scripts a looooong time ago, maybe I have missed something so I will try them again but believe me, when I checked them out, those scripts dind't display CC event through Curves instead of Bars at all, I am completely sure. However, you look so confident about it that I am going to check them right now again, I will let you know if you are right.

Just to be sure, are these the scripts?
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=176878

Last edited by Vagalume; 03-05-2019 at 04:23 AM.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:18 AM   #110
Vagalume

Quote:

h
After some hours trying I am not able display CC event through Curves instead of Bars in any way. Besides I get the same message as Bri1. If the scripts fix the issue I don't really understand how, I surrender.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:30 AM   #111
juliansader

Quote:
find myself deleting bars when all i want to know is their value or w/e.. gotta select+click/view events etc etc =painfull..please see that.
The MIDI Inspector script may be helpful, as it displays these values while you are working:

Quote:
Besides I get the same message as Bri1. If the scripts fix the issue I don't really understand how, I surrender.
The scripts are intended to work easily and -- hopefully -- intuitively. If you encounter any difficulties, please report it in the MIDI editor tools thread, so that we can quickly sort it out.

(BTW, please ensure that you have updated the scripts to the latest version.)

Quote:
After some hours trying I am not able display CC event through Curves instead of Bars in any way.
The scripts do not display CCs as automation curves -- i.e. as "node dots" with connecting lines. However, they are intended to provide similar functionality, such as smoothly ramping between "node bars", and warping existing ramps. They also add other functionality such as Arching and Compressing, which aren't yet available for automation.

The CC equivalent of smooth automation curves is the "Connect nodes" script, which are demonstrated in these GIFs:

CONNECT NODES WITH BÉZIER CURVES: The script tries to find the smoothest curve to connect all selected nodes. Useful for smoothing transitions between CCs that were drawn at low resolution, or smoothing jagged curves:

REPLACING EXISTING RAMPS: The user can the shape of the connecting ramps by moving the mouse. Middle-click switches between linear/power curves and sine curves. This mode is particularly useful for replacing existing LFOs with new shapes:

USING MIDI CHANNELS:

* The mousewheel changes the channel of the inserted MIDI events.
* If the MIDI editor is set to "Edit only the active MIDI channel", the script will only select nodes that are in the active channel.

These channel features are very useful for keeping the ramps and the nodes in separate channels, so that the nodes can easily be re-selected and edited:

Last edited by juliansader; 03-05-2019 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:46 AM   #112
Vagalume

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post

The scripts are intended to work easily and -- hopefully -- intuitively. If you encounter any difficulties, please report it in the MIDI editor tools thread, so that we can quickly sort it out.

(BTW, please ensure that you have updated the scripts to the latest version.)

The scripts do not display CCs as automation curves -- i.e. as "node dots" with connecting lines. However, they are intended to provide similar functionality, such as smoothly ramping between "node bars", and warping existing ramps. They also add other functionality such as Arching and Compressing, which aren't yet available for automation.

The CC equivalent of smooth automation curves is the "Connect nodes" script, which are demonstrated in these GIFs:
Thanks Julian for the explanation. I will post in the given thread.

Edited: I Have checked it out, it is not what I would like to have. As Julian has said these scripts DON'T display CCs as automation curves.

Pd. It is curious to read some people who wants bars in this FR (a FR which intends to get rid of them).

Last edited by Vagalume; 03-05-2019 at 04:38 PM.