Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 03-27-2017, 07:50 AM   #1
hyperliteBo
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper weird sizzling phase sound issues

Hey all,

Today I tracked the second guitar of a band I'm recording when I suddenly heard a very weird sound when playing back some clips.

All the guitars are dual miked and checked carefully for phase issues.
But when playing back I heard a very awkward phase/sizzling noise when playing back the two mics together.
On there own they sounded fine.
I thought maybe something was wrong with one of my cables or something but then I realized the exact same sound was also present in recordings from the other day before that where previously NOT there...

I always make backups every day so before going nuts I checked my backup from the same project from yesterday and that weird sound is NOT there in the backups file...
It seems only in that project (song) the other ones seem ok, so yeah this is not related to the recording, this must be something that reaper is doing somehow...

I made a screen capture video to make extra clear what the problem is.

https://vimeo.com/210173634

Please help, I'm desperate
hyperliteBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:07 AM   #2
James HE

The playrate for those items is 1.008. Is this intentional? (if not set it back to one) Such a small change seems like an accident.

If you are going to stretch (or pitchshift) multi-miced items, you need to have them interleaved in a multichannel file (stereo in this case) Otherwise the stretching will cause phase problems.

also the "I" icon in the item - do you have a samplerate mismatch there between the item and the project? This is generally fine in REAPER, but if you are doing playrate stuff, or even using convolution, you absolutely want things at the right rate or your renders might not sound exactly like you hear on playback.

Last edited by James HE; 03-27-2017 at 08:17 AM.
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:05 PM   #3
hyperliteBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by James HE View Post
The playrate for those items is 1.008. Is this intentional? (if not set it back to one) Such a small change seems like an accident.

If you are going to stretch (or pitchshift) multi-miced items, you need to have them interleaved in a multichannel file (stereo in this case) Otherwise the stretching will cause phase problems.

also the "I" icon in the item - do you have a samplerate mismatch there between the item and the project? This is generally fine in REAPER, but if you are doing playrate stuff, or even using convolution, you absolutely want things at the right rate or your renders might not sound exactly like you hear on playback.
MY HERO !
Crazy that u spotted that, I would've never seen it... it indeed was the playback rate !
Samplerate mismatch was just because I copy'd the file from my laptop to desktop and they are set differently. But yeah, I don't know how but I must've accidentally messed up that playrate... I put it back at 1 and everything is fine.

MANY thanks
hyperliteBo is offline   Reply With Quote