Old 03-25-2017, 07:00 AM   #1201
Jack Winter
Human being with feelings

@osxmidi: And I think another

There appears to be a execution latency spike when opening the plugin GUI. This can be seen quite easily when using FX on the masterbus by looking at reaper's longest RT block in the performance window. It's also apparent when playing through a recarmed and monitored track with fx on it. I think maybe only when the gui is opened, and not when closed.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)

Last edited by Jack Winter; 03-25-2017 at 07:54 AM. Reason: add info
Old 03-25-2017, 08:05 AM   #1202
Finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Else View Post
ValhallaVintageVerb 1.5 is now running in Fedora 25/Linux Reaper 5.40 with LinVST 0.99... YES!!!

The only confusing part was that when ValhallaVintageVerb opened it seemed to hang with a 'not responding' dialog box, but what was really happening was it had opened a dialog box to load the keyfile that was hidden away behind other windows. Once I found that and loaded the keyfile then all was well.

I have not had one crash yet in Linux Reaper, ever, Brilliant
I have bought:
Satson
VRoom
Komplete 6
Superior Drummer 2
DC8C

Drumgizmo almost replaces superior deummer for me, so I'm fine with it. I miss Guitar Rig from Komplete, it's not the best guitar sim but for me it's a good tool. Tuxguitar is ok but it lacks so much at the moment when used via Carla vst. So, what are my chances with vRoom, Satson and DC8C?
Old 03-25-2017, 08:12 AM   #1203
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish View Post
I have bought:
Satson
VRoom
Komplete 6
Superior Drummer 2
DC8C

Drumgizmo almost replaces superior deummer for me, so I'm fine with it. I miss Guitar Rig from Komplete, it's not the best guitar sim but for me it's a good tool. Tuxguitar is ok but it lacks so much at the moment when used via Carla vst. So, what are my chances with vRoom, Satson and DC8C?
FWIW, I've used GuitarRig for many years in reaper/wine, haven't had any problems with it. I have Komplete 8, but haven't updated for a long time, since there were some issues with the update application. I'd say it's worth a try to get it working with LinVst if you like that plugin. FWIW, I did run superior drummer a long time ago in reaper/wine too.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Old 03-25-2017, 08:41 AM   #1204
osxmidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
@osxmidi: And I think another

There appears to be a execution latency spike when opening the plugin GUI. This can be seen quite easily when using FX on the masterbus by looking at reaper's longest RT block in the performance window. It's also apparent when playing through a recarmed and monitored track with fx on it. I think maybe only when the gui is opened, and not when closed.
I'll look into them.

The window is created at startup before it's used and the open UI just shows it and the close UI just closes it but there are other things going on with opening and closing so I'll look into them and also the sample problem from your previous post.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:17 AM   #1205
Finnish

Where's LinVST and info etc? There's a lot of stuff and talk around so things get a bit lost?
Old 03-25-2017, 09:31 AM   #1206
Jack Winter

Quote:
Where's LinVST and info etc? There's a lot of stuff and talk around so things get a bit lost?
LinVst at https://github.com/osxmidi/LinVst
It's possible that other bridges will work too (worse or better). I have only scratched the surface of the available bridges by now
Old 03-25-2017, 10:46 AM   #1207
David Else

Quote:
I have bought:
Satson
VRoom
Komplete 6
Superior Drummer 2
DC8C

I am sure Vroom will work, as it's the same framework as VVV by the same programmer with the same registration system. The others are all worth a try if you think they are worth it. I have Wine 2.3 staging installed for reference.

We all have a few Windows plugins we feel we can't live without. I could not do without Voxengo Elephant 4, I tried everything for voice-over and that thing just dominated the rest with the right settings. It works as a HP filter/compressor and a limiter at once with non crap sounding (optional) 8x oversampling. It's all automatic once set up, no messing about fiddling with the attack and release, there is just no substitute!

It could be a cool idea if the LinVST home page got a list of NOT working plugins for people's reference. Should be easier to maintain and simpler than working ones? Then people can just assume what they want works unless they read otherwise
Old 03-26-2017, 02:18 AM   #1208
4duhwinnn

Is it legal under Steinbergs newly modified linux license
to distribute VST3 vst bridges as complete binary installers
such as are used by ardour/U-he?

Legal to make .deb/.rpm packages?

(of course, this begs the question 'why bother?',
if there are just a few VST3 products as yet.)
I've not read up as to any existing backwards compatibilty
where a VST3 bridge would allow use of older 2.4 era vst plugins,
and how licensing relates in that case, if at all.
Cheers
Old 03-26-2017, 03:40 AM   #1209
Jack Winter

One thing is clear, that if your product is distributed under a license that doesn't mandate providing all sources on request like the GPL license, there shouldn't be any problem. Sign and accept the proprietary Steinberg license and offer the mention of Steinberg mandated in your documentation and program.

If you chose to distribute VST3 code under a GPL v3 license you are ok, as you are allowed to distribute Steinberg files and your derivatives of said files in source form.

The only problem I can see regards VST2, as it is not distributed under a GPL license, so we are back to the old problem of not being able to distribute the header files needed to build the application. I am not entirely sure that this is an insurmountable problem though, as Steinberg themselves publishes the SDK and it can be downloaded by the user themselves.

I assume this is done in order to deprecate VST2 and move the world to VST3.

Regarding distributing VST2 binaries with GPL licensed code, there is a "blackbox" reversed engineered aeffect.h around that can possibly fill this void.

Regarding Wineasio, it's GPL code that needs a header file from a Steinberg SDK, but I've distributed the code without including the Steinberg header file needed. On Archlinux it doesn't exist in binary form, rather as a build script that the user will run to build the binary (like most of the software used by Archlinux). So the user will have to build a package that downloads and installs the SDK, then build and install the Wineasio driver. I believe that this complies with the legalities but of course I could be wrong

This has been a mess for many years, and there have been no end of discussions on the net on this topic. I don't believe that I've ever seen a definitive answer from either Steinberg or the FSF or anyone else.

The Steinberg faq on the issue: https://sdk.steinberg.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=286

AFAIK, this so far is mostly theoretical as it hasn't been tested in court. And there are more laws in play than just the license itself, there are also differences in law in different countries...

So to sum it up, I believe that there is no potential problem in distributing non GPL code either in binary or source form, there is also no problem distributing VST3 code in either proprietary or GPLv3 form. The only gray area remains VST2 code distributed under a GPL license.

Last edited by Jack Winter; 03-26-2017 at 04:09 AM.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:49 AM   #1210
David Else

If you are running a Gnome desktop then you might like to place this file:

#!/usr/bin/env xdg-open
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=reaper
Comment=reaper
Exec=/home/USERNAME/reaper-5-dev/reaper5
Icon=/home/USERNAME/reaper-5-dev/Resources/splash-final.png
Terminal=false
Comment[en_GB.UTF-8]=reaper

here:

/home/USERNAME/.local/share/applications

Replace /home/USERNAME/reaper-5-dev/ with the actual location you installed Reaper into.

Now you have a desktop shortcut Just hit the Windows button, start typing Reaper and the logo should appear for you to click.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:28 AM   #1211
osxmidi

Quote:
@osxmidi: I think I found an issue

I sometimes use sstillwell's eventhorizon on the master bus. By default it runs with 2048 samples PDC, but if you switch it to clipping mode instead, it ought to drop to 0 samples PDC. This change doesn't seem to propagate back to reaper when using linvst.
The PDC seems connected to the initialDelay value that gets's communicated from the plugin to the host via audioMasterIOchanged http://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=115184

I've implemented audiomasterIOchanged (hopefully it's ok) but havn't put it up at github yet.

The gui spike thing is a bit of a mystery.

I'll try changing some gui things.

The gui is on the main thread (which is mainly just the gui) and the audio processing is on another thread, so they should be pretty independent of each other.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:07 AM   #1212
David Else

@osxmidi, i think i have a bug or missing feature.

When i set Voxengo Elephant to 8x Auto Oversampling in 'global voxengo software settings' then it is meant to mixdown at that rate. I have 'inform plugins of offline' selected in Reaper. On windows a big flashing red sign came into the plugin GUI to indicate it was in offline mode, this is not happening during mixdown on Linux with LinVST.

When I change the real-time oversampling settings in the main Window of Elephant you can see the mixdown speed change in the render dialog. Unfortunately if you change it in the 'global voxengo software settings', even when you restart the plugin, the speed of mixdown does not change.

I assume the 'offline mode' is not getting transmitted to the plugin?

Cheers.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:53 PM   #1213
4duhwinnn

Quote:
One thing is clear
Thanks for the detailed reply, among your many others!
A little chunk of audio history is unfolding.
Makes a very nice read, as it developes.
5.40 is out in the wilds already!
Cheers
Old 03-26-2017, 03:15 PM   #1214
sardonicus

Hello there! Version 5.40 64 bits (debian jessie with KX) crashes when running reatune (not when launching, just when starting to process). Never did it with oldest "releases".
Cheers!
Old 03-26-2017, 07:51 PM   #1215
osxmidi

Quote:
@osxmidi, i think i have a bug or missing feature.

When i set Voxengo Elephant to 8x Auto Oversampling in 'global voxengo software settings' then it is meant to mixdown at that rate. I have 'inform plugins of offline' selected in Reaper. On windows a big flashing red sign came into the plugin GUI to indicate it was in offline mode, this is not happening during mixdown on Linux with LinVST.

When I change the real-time oversampling settings in the main Window of Elephant you can see the mixdown speed change in the render dialog. Unfortunately if you change it in the 'global voxengo software settings', even when you restart the plugin, the speed of mixdown does not change.

I assume the 'offline mode' is not getting transmitted to the plugin?

Cheers.
That feature is missing.

At the moment it has basic plugin -> Reaper (host) communication, but I've added more communication that will be in a future update.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:35 PM   #1216
michael diemer

Has anyone thought about sforzando, the free, open source VST, which plays sfz files? I can get it to work as standalone in Zorin, and it will load and play Garritan Personal Orchestra inst's. Also, the GPO Aria Player works as standalone. (They're both made by same company, Plogue). I have yet to try Linux Reaper as I've been working on a project, but am just about done and will try it soon. If they could work, then potentially any sfz files would work. GPO is a quality orchestra, and would be a great start for classical/film composers interested in making music with Linux. You do have to first authorize GPO. I believe Wine was involved as well, but I'm not exactly sure how I did it. but it worked.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:15 PM   #1217
Garrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
Has anyone thought about sforzando, the free, open source VST, which plays sfz files? I can get it to work as standalone in Zorin, and it will load and play Garritan Personal Orchestra inst's. Also, the GPO Aria Player works as standalone. (They're both made by same company, Plogue). I have yet to try Linux Reaper as I've been working on a project, but am just about done and will try it soon. If they could work, then potentially any sfz files would work. GPO is a quality orchestra, and would be a great start for classical/film composers interested in making music with Linux. You do have to first authorize GPO. I believe Wine was involved as well, but I'm not exactly sure how I did it. but it worked.
Thats crazy I'm on Zorin as well and have Garritans GPO4 working but dragging the png file to authorise crashes everything. libpng is all there but I'd really be interested in how you authorised it.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:15 AM   #1218
osxmidi

I think I tracked down the GUI problem.

I've updated the LinVst source and binaries.

Some audiomaster features will get added in a future release, so it should be more compatible with more plugins after that.

The host/audiomaster offline feature is pretty hard to implement in a client/server Linux/Wine model so I'm not sure about that at the moment http://www.dith.it/listing/vst_stuff...stoffline.html

Last edited by osxmidi; 03-27-2017 at 04:28 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:56 AM   #1219
David Else

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxmidi View Post

I've updated the LinVst source and binaries.

Some audiomaster features will get added in a future release, so it should be more compatible with more plugins after that.

The host/audiomaster offline feature is pretty hard to implement in a client/server Linux/Wine model so I'm not sure about that at the moment http://www.dith.it/listing/vst_stuff...stoffline.html
Excellent news of more development. The host/audiomaster offline is more of a 'luxury' feature, the user can always write a post-it note to up the oversampling before mixdown

Would it be possible to increment the version number on the download page? It still says 0.99, but the internal timestamp tells me it's a new version... bit confusing? 0.991? Thanks for this brilliant application! It really does seem to load my old Windows projects with the correct settings on the bridged plugins, this alone makes it the best Windows > Linux plugin bridge.

Jack Winter's bash script is a great addition, if you could magic some of that goodness into the v1 release it would make things a lot easier to setup.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:33 AM   #1220
osxmidi

Quote:
Excellent news of more development. The host/audiomaster offline is more of a 'luxury' feature, the user can always write a post-it note to up the oversampling before mixdown

Would it be possible to increment the version number on the download page? It still says 0.99, but the internal timestamp tells me it's a new version... bit confusing? 0.991? Thanks for this brilliant application! It really does seem to load my old Windows projects with the correct settings on the bridged plugins, this alone makes it the best Windows > Linux plugin bridge.

Jack Winter's bash script is a great addition, if you could magic some of that goodness into the v1 release it would make things a lot easier to setup.
Thanks.

I think it's maybe useful for some things like an occasional Windows vst.

I'll keep new versions separate from now on.

I've uploaded the very experimental audiomaster support version (AMT) and I'm keeping it on a separate branch.

I havn't tested everything out with the AMT version so It might crash.

The AMT version enables more communication between the plugin and the host(Reaper).

Last edited by osxmidi; 03-27-2017 at 06:09 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:00 AM   #1221
Veto

Hi swell experts,

I've tried to mess with some code (attached) which enables vertical scrolling of oversized menus by moving the pointer to the border of the screen.

For that I'd like to share a int (maybe more coming) between the message handling cases in swell-menu-generic.cpp/submenuWndProc(). That value needs to be per menu/submenu.

For now I took the naive approach and stored the value in the next best empty member of the hwnd (m_extra[0]) which just sounded about right since m_userdata is already used.

What would be the most correct/save way to share a value while handling the messages (WM_PAINT/WM_CREATE/WM_DESTROY/...) for a submenu?
Attached Files
File Type: zip patch0.patch.zip (1.4 KB, 155 views)

Last edited by Veto; 03-27-2017 at 06:15 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:49 AM   #1222
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veto View Post
Hi swell experts,

I've tried to mess with some code (attached) which enables vertical scrolling of oversized menus by moving the pointer to the border of the screen.

For that I'd like to share a int (maybe more coming) between the message handling cases in swell-menu-generic.cpp/submenuWndProc(). That value needs to be per menu/submenu.

For now I took the naive approach and stored the value in the next best empty member of the hwnd (m_extra[0]) which just sounded about right since m_userdata is already used.

What would be the most correct/save way to share a value while handling the messages (WM_PAINT/WM_CREATE/WM_DESTROY/...) for a submenu?
Cool, using m_extra[] should be fine to use in this context. Alternatively we could replace m_user_data with a pointer to a struct, or replace m_private_data with a pointer to a struct, but since menus aren't actually used by anything, what you did should be good. I'll look at merging your patch, thanks!
Old 03-27-2017, 07:40 AM   #1223
Veto

Hey, thanks Justin. Great if it works already I'm fine with everything you guys are, just wanted to make sure it doesn't break anything.
Will refactor some code to run only once in the WM_CREATE case though (needs another stored variable I think).

EDIT: I attached the new patch, hope everything is ok.
Attached Files
File Type: zip patch1.patch.zip (1.4 KB, 160 views)

Last edited by Veto; 03-27-2017 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:28 AM   #1224
michael diemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrick View Post
Thats crazy I'm on Zorin as well and have Garritans GPO4 working but dragging the png file to authorise crashes everything. libpng is all there but I'd really be interested in how you authorised it.
Garrick, I installed GPO using Wine. I think it happened automatically. As for authorizing, I just kept trying it, and eventually it worked. I re-downloaded the png image, but I'm not sure that had anything to do with it.

I'll try to backtrack and see if I can figure out just how I did it. I have some posts n the Plogue Forum, so I'll start there.

And here you go: http://www.plogue.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=7903

Incredibly, importing the keycard worked. you just use the import feature, where you normally import an instrument, but import the keycard instead. Crazy, but it worked!
Old 03-27-2017, 02:04 PM   #1225
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Hey, thanks Justin. Great if it works already I'm fine with everything you guys are, just wanted to make sure it doesn't break anything.
Will refactor some code to run only once in the WM_CREATE case though (needs another stored variable I think).

EDIT: I attached the new patch, hope everything is ok.
There were a few issues, simplified it a bit and pushed to public git. Might be nicer to check the mouse position on a timer to scroll more easily (without having to wiggle the mouse), but this works pretty well! thanks again for the patch!
Old 03-27-2017, 09:18 PM   #1226
Garrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
Garrick, I installed GPO using Wine. I think it happened automatically. As for authorizing, I just kept trying it, and eventually it worked. I re-downloaded the png image, but I'm not sure that had anything to do with it.

I'll try to backtrack and see if I can figure out just how I did it. I have some posts n the Plogue Forum, so I'll start there.

And here you go: http://www.plogue.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=7903

Incredibly, importing the keycard worked. you just use the import feature, where you normally import an instrument, but import the keycard instead. Crazy, but it worked!
Easy as that!!!
Thank you Michael
Old 03-28-2017, 01:06 AM   #1227
Veto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
There were a few issues, simplified it a bit and pushed to public git.
Thanks, it looks much better now.
Quote:
Might be nicer to check the mouse position on a timer to scroll more easily (without having to wiggle the mouse), but this works pretty well! thanks again for the patch!
Yes I agree. Thought about it too, but was unsure because I'd probably need 2 other shared (boolean) variables. I'll look into it.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:49 AM   #1228
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxmidi View Post
I don't hear any stuttering anymore when opening and closing the GUI of a plugin on the master.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:25 AM   #1229
osxmidi

Quote:
I don't hear any stuttering anymore when opening and closing the GUI of a plugin on the master.
Good to hear.

It was a polling problem.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:30 AM   #1230
TonE

Any step by step guide for installing wineasio with ubuntu 16.04, which works 100%?

** Get the WineASIO source code
cd ~
mkdir src
cd src
git clone git://wineasio.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/wineasio/wineasio

** Fetch steinbergs asio SDK
wget http://www.steinberg.net/sdk_downloads/asiosdk2.3.zip
mv asiosdk2.3.zip asio.zip
unzip asio.zip
cp ASIOSDK2.3/common/asio.h ./wineasio/asio.h

** Compile and install the driver
To build WineASIO open a terminal and use the command make in the WineASIO source directory.

Giving error:

~/src/wineasio$ make
gcc -c -I. -I/usr/include -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/wine -I/usr/include/wine/windows -m32 -g -O2 -D__WINESRC__ -D_REENTRANT -fPIC -Wall -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wwrite-strings -Wpointer-arith -o asio.o asio.c
asio.c:33:24: fatal error: wine/debug.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
Makefile:81: recipe for target 'asio.o' failed
make: *** [asio.o] Error 1

** Registering wineasio.dll gives following error
~/.wine$ regsvr32 wineasio.dll
fixme:service:scmdatabase_autostart_services Auto-start service L"HL_EMUL" failed to start: 2
err:servicerocess_send_command service protocol error - failed to write pipe!
fixme:service:scmdatabase_autostart_services Auto-start service L"JavaQuickStarterService" failed to start: 1053
err:servicerocess_send_command service protocol error - failed to write pipe!
fixme:service:scmdatabase_autostart_services Auto-start service L"ShuttleEngine" failed to start: 1053
regsvr32: Failed to load DLL 'wineasio.dll'

Last edited by TonE; 03-28-2017 at 06:27 AM. Reason: added step by step error
Old 03-28-2017, 05:35 AM   #1231
TonE

Quote:
Thanks, since I'm the current maintainer of wineasio

That said, yeah it's a mess... But if you have a debian system, then use the kxstudio addon repos, they make it easy. But mostly this is to do with legal stuff and how distros have setup the audio/system.
Well, is there any step by step guide? I could write the step by step errors if you want?

Compile and install the driver
To build WineASIO open a terminal and use the command make in the WineASIO source directory.

Giving error:

~/src/wineasio$ make
gcc -c -I. -I/usr/include -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/wine -I/usr/include/wine/windows -m32 -g -O2 -D__WINESRC__ -D_REENTRANT -fPIC -Wall -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wwrite-strings -Wpointer-arith -o asio.o asio.c
compilation terminated.

showstopper.

Last edited by TonE; 03-28-2017 at 06:01 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:01 AM   #1232
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks, it looks much better now.

Yes I agree. Thought about it too, but was unsure because I'd probably need 2 other shared (boolean) variables. I'll look into it.
Ah actually it was quite simple, pushed a change/simplification and some other related tweaks for that!
Old 03-28-2017, 09:35 AM   #1233
michael diemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrick View Post
Easy as that!!!
Thank you Michael
Great! now, if we could just get Aria or sforzando to work in Linux Reaper...

Also:I'm not sure you can save the settings, and the reverb and other effects don't seem to work, but you could use it as a standalone, although that doesn't do me much good. Still, a hopeful sign that maybe with tweaking Aria/sforzando could work in Reaper. I'm sure it could in regular Reaper with wine; the Native version would be more challenging. but this, along with Kontakt, would be one to work on because of the possibilities it opens up. the sfz player can also play sf2 files and others. I believe it converts them to sfz files.

I think I'm going to install KX studio, and then try both regular Reaper with Wine as well as Native Reaper. I've got a lot of catching up to do. The only DAW I've worked with on Linux is LMMS. I installed the latest native build last night on Zorin, but the audio won't open, I keep getting an error. So maybe KX Studio will solve that.

Last edited by michael diemer; 03-28-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:07 AM   #1234
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
~/src/wineasio$ make
compilation terminated.
Surely there is some repo with it prebuilt? Maybe the kxstudio repos?

Otherwise it looks like you are missing the wine (and I guess jack) -devel packages. For some reason debian doesn't include header files when you install a package.. Also you might need some multilib support for wine, not sure how that is done on debian. Also note that the above will build 32b wineasio, if you want 64b wineasio you need to do:

./prepare_64bit_asio
make clean
make -f Makefile64

After that you will need to copy the wineasio libs to the right path for your system, maybe in /usr/lib/wine, etc. Then to finally register wineasio in the wineprefix you use.

regsvr32 wineasio.dll (32b)
wine64 regsvr32 wineasio.dll (64b)

The by far easiest is to install from a package..

Also note that 32b wineasio on a 64b system might be broken with JACK2..
Old 03-28-2017, 10:32 AM   #1235
Veto

Quote:
Ah actually it was quite simple, pushed a change/simplification and some other related tweaks for that!
Awesome thank you! And good timing too, as I got sick today (have to test later).
Old 03-28-2017, 01:25 PM   #1236
TonE

apt search wineasio

shows:

Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
wineasio/now 0.7.5-1 amd64 [installed,local]
Wine ASIO driver for JACK

I can install 32bit version, too. But somehow nothing shows up in Reapers ASIO setting for audio device. Probably because I did not register it successfully yet. I guess this is the missing part here.

' After that you will need to copy the wineasio libs to the right path for your system, maybe in /usr/lib/wine, etc. Then to finally register wineasio in the wineprefix you use.'

What are 'wineasio libs' exactly? Which files, which dir?
Old 03-28-2017, 01:38 PM   #1237
Garrick

Quote:
apt search wineasio

shows:

Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
wineasio/now 0.7.5-1 amd64 [installed,local]
Wine ASIO driver for JACK

I can install 32bit version, too. But somehow nothing shows up in Reapers ASIO setting for audio device. Probably because I did not register it successfully yet. I guess this is the missing part here.

' After that you will need to copy the wineasio libs to the right path for your system, maybe in /usr/lib/wine, etc. Then to finally register wineasio in the wineprefix you use.'

What are 'wineasio libs' exactly? Which files, which dir?
I think it depends on what wine you are using, eg wine-staging 64 libs are in the opt directory so in that case copy your wineasio.dll with sudo cp wineasio.dll.so /opt/wine-staging/lib64/wine/wineasio.dll.so

I think yer normal wine is in usr/bin something something, gets confusing I know
Old 03-28-2017, 02:01 PM   #1238
Garrick

Quote:
Surely there is some repo with it prebuilt? Maybe the kxstudio repos?

Otherwise it looks like you are missing the wine (and I guess jack) -devel packages. For some reason debian doesn't include header files when you install a package.. Also you might need some multilib support for wine, not sure how that is done on debian. Also note that the above will build 32b wineasio, if you want 64b wineasio you need to do:

./prepare_64bit_asio
make clean
make -f Makefile64

After that you will need to copy the wineasio libs to the right path for your system, maybe in /usr/lib/wine, etc. Then to finally register wineasio in the wineprefix you use.

regsvr32 wineasio.dll (32b)
wine64 regsvr32 wineasio.dll (64b)

The by far easiest is to install from a package..

Also note that 32b wineasio on a 64b system might be broken with JACK2..
hey jack, yeah it's easier to install from a package. The problem with kxstudio is when you want wine higher than 1.8. If you want to have wine 2.0 ->, you have to roll your own wineasio

another important thing to note is for ubuntu the prepare file needs to start with #!/bin/bash instead of #!/bin/sh.
or something like that
Old 03-28-2017, 02:57 PM   #1239
TonE

Installed wineasio-32b, registered successfully, it shows up in Reaper ASIO, but does not work.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:17 PM   #1240
Garrick

Quote:
Installed wineasio-32b, registered successfully, it shows up in Reaper ASIO, but does not work.
It could be as easy as rebooting or maybe you need to add your username to the audio group, eg for me i type
Code:
sudo usermod -aG audio garrick
just replace my username (of course), then reboot. good luck!
Closed Thread